Author Topic: Taking off  (Read 351 times)

Offline Archangel

• Zinc Member
Taking off
« on: March 18, 2003, 12:28:15 AM »
Right now I'm trying to take off in the P 51, but it goes to the left too much. Help

I can fly level flight good just by reading the instrument like climb indicator ect. Just taking off is hard :(

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
Taking off
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2003, 12:36:38 AM »
The game has an auto-takeoff mode that should be enabled by default.  When you spawn on the runway, look for the auto-takeoff message in green in the middle of your gunsight.  If it is on, then don't touch the controls and just throttle up.  It should take off for you.

Otherwise, you need to apply power more slowly and allow speed to build up.  The speed will put more air over the control surfaces and allow you to better control your plane.  Don't jam the throttle full on right away.

Give that a try.  The auto-takeoff thing is nice but it disables the second you touch the controls.  Some people tend to grab the controls the second they spawn and it turns it off.

-Soda
AH Trainer Corps.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Taking off
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2003, 01:03:51 AM »
The movement to the left as you roll down the runway is from the engine torque of the P-51.  Do what Soda suggests and ease the throttle forward instead of jamming the throttle to full.  You can also use your rudder pedals to help keep you on the runway as you start rolling on your take off.

Ack-Ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
Taking off
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2003, 10:27:55 AM »
You might also want to make sure that your stick is calibrated within the game.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
Taking off
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2003, 04:51:37 PM »
Yes check calibration.

If your stick is not calibrated properly in Aces High the plane may very well veer to the left, even using auto takeoff.

Click setup, then Joystick from the clipboard, and then calibrate.

SKurj

Offline spiffykraits

• Copper Member
      • http://home.clara.net/spiff
Re: Taking off
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2003, 02:01:03 PM »
Originally posted by Archangel
Right now I'm trying to take off in the P 51, but it goes to the left too much. Help

I can fly level flight good just by reading the instrument like climb indicator ect. Just taking off is hard :(

You have auto take off available. As no-ones mentioned where it is -Get the clipboard up (escape), press the setup button, then press the flight button in the setup screen. There are a number of options there to toggle on/off by checking or unchecking the boxes- auto takeoff is one of them, show no tracers is another. Choose what suits you.  You cannot switch tracers on/off in flight, they have to be set on the ground in the tower before takeoff, when your choice is enabled.  Being lazy I always use auto takeoff, except when the field is being vulched. :)

Hope that helps