Author Topic: Dixie Hicks show ignorance...  (Read 3133 times)

Offline Martlet

• Platinum Member
Dixie Hicks show ignorance...
« Reply #105 on: March 18, 2003, 05:55:41 AM »
Your interpretation is not altogether incorrect, but it really doesn't fit.  There are many examples of "politics gone wrong" in the U.S. but it doesn't mean they all become tyrants.  

Are you familiar with how our form of democracy works?  We have many checks and balances in place.  While they don't keep every thing perfect, they keep things from going over the edge.

You also can't be familiar with the mindset of the majority of American's.  We just would not live under tyranny.  It's not in our nature.

I'm not familiar with "corrempre".

Pour voir la tyrannie, est d'observer l'absence de la démocratie.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #106 on: March 18, 2003, 06:01:52 AM »
Never said the "contraire" Martlet.

It's just a reminder of how thing can degenerate.
Democratie should be on the act of the citizen not in what the state pretent to be (or in this case China would be a democratia ....).

Dunno if you see my point clearer now ,it's pretty hard for me to express some complex opinion in a foreign language.

corrompre == corrupt.
it's a citation from Voltaire.

Offline X2Lee

• Silver Member
« Reply #107 on: March 18, 2003, 06:03:18 AM »
Originally posted by straffo

Why should an artist be banned of every radio just because of a different opinion ?

If another opinion as no way to voice it's the instant the freedom of speach dissapear, you agree ?

If the "owner" of the station does not want to play thier records does he not have that right?
No its not what they said its where they said it.
Makes them look like traitors even tho they are not.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #108 on: March 18, 2003, 06:07:49 AM »
Never said a owner should play song he don't want to play, it's his property and provided it's legal he can do whatever he want.

For exemple a french radio owner can play/ban whatever music he want ... but if he try to play Nazi anthem he would be soon in trouble (legally).

What I question is the influence of some more vocal people.

Offline Martlet

• Platinum Member
« Reply #109 on: March 18, 2003, 06:13:18 AM »
Again, this is why democracy works.

Si une station par radio changeait c'est politique en raison d'une minorité vocale, alors la majorité silencieuse serait malheureuse.
Ils cesseraient d'écouter la radio. Elle perdrait l'argent, et change en la façon dont elle était avant.

Offline X2Lee

• Silver Member
« Reply #110 on: March 18, 2003, 06:15:05 AM »

What I question is the influence of some more vocal people.

Yes the vocal minority carries a lot of wieght here in America
Look at the "gay groups" they say its roughly 10% of americans
They are always getting thier way here.

But these girls are not censured. Other stations will play thier music. And some stores will still crry thier CDs. And people who like them still will play them on thier cdplayers. Almost every American has CD players....

Offline devious

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.jg301-wildesau.de
« Reply #111 on: March 18, 2003, 06:56:23 AM »
I know it`s a tad bit off topic, but country "music" sucks hairy goat balls.

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #112 on: March 18, 2003, 07:02:40 AM »
Irony. Delicious irony, Grunherz.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Naso

• Silver Member
      • http://www.4stormo.it
« Reply #113 on: March 18, 2003, 07:11:53 AM »
I dont know about the argument, but there's a thing that amaze me.

I have read in the beginning of the thread that someone crushed/burned this group CDs...

But he had to buy it, no?

Is'nt funny, ironic?

:)

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #114 on: March 18, 2003, 07:45:54 AM »
Originally posted by GRUNHERZ
BS Cough BS....  Well he was elected in the sense Saddam Hussein was elected a few months ago. I believe the referundum on his dictatorship turned out some 98.7% Ja!

see here http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/GER1933.htm

I think we were not speaking of the same event, I thought of the 1933 election.

Offline CavemanJ

• Silver Member
« Reply #115 on: March 18, 2003, 08:05:52 AM »
X2Lee && CavemanJ I agree that the people oposing the view of the chicks can do what they want but my lecture of the event is different and more general.

Why should an artist be banned of every radio just because of a different opinion ?

If another opinion as no way to voice it's the instant the freedom of speach dissapear, you agree ?

Ok, I think I get what you're saying now.  But the 3-4 posts following the post I quoted seemed to have splained it well enough.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #116 on: March 18, 2003, 08:10:19 AM »
Caveman that's why the last time I spoke politic with a fellow american in france we ended completly drunk ....

and before feeling asleep I'm pretty sure we were speaking the same language :D

Offline CavemanJ

• Silver Member
« Reply #117 on: March 18, 2003, 08:27:25 AM »
Well straffo, the whole freedom of speech arguement only applies when it's the G'ment trying to suppress opinions.  So it doesn't really apply to this.

The people here decide what's hot and what's not, who's a star and who's a want-to-be/has-been/never-was.  That's the thing with being a celebrity over here.  You piss off the masses and you're pretty much done for, because people will stop spending money on that celebrity's products (CDs, concert tickets, etc).  Enough drop in popularity = end of celebrity's career.  Such is the hazard of a 'public life' here, the American public is a very fickle beast.

Naso it's only ironic if you go out and buy the CD for the sole purpose of burning it.  I'll wager 95% of the people who were trashing thier CDs had purchased them some time before the offending remark was said.  The John Q Public hears about what she said and decides he's no longer going to support the Dixie Chics, and wants the group to know it, so he takes the CD's he bought a few months ago and joins others in a public gathering, destroying thier CDs.

And I'm sure there were some people who went out and bought the CD just to trash it.  

Dowding I'm starting to wonder about you.. here lately you seem to make less and less sense with each post.

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #118 on: March 18, 2003, 10:01:57 AM »
Originally posted by X2Lee
If the "owner" of the station does not want to play thier records does he not have that right?

Interesting point..

Since radio frequencies are controlled by the FCC I would imagine that the owner of a station may be limited in the amount of censure he may employ. I could be wrong though.

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #119 on: March 18, 2003, 10:04:48 AM »
Originally posted by midnight Target
Interesting point..

Since radio frequencies are controlled by the FCC I would imagine that the owner of a station may be limited in the amount of censure he may employ. I could be wrong though.

Everyone knows that the RCAA and the FCC are in cahoots to control the media, and through this, the governement. Eisenhower warned us of this "Entertainer-Corporate complex" back in the 50s, but we just never listened.

Ooops, I gotta go, I'm late for my LaRouche 2004 rally!

-Sik
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.