Author Topic: So how good is a stick against an M1 Abrahms?  (Read 659 times)

Offline Rasker

• Silver Member
So how good is a stick against an M1 Abrahms?
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2003, 01:25:16 PM »
I am shocked! shocked, I tell you, that Saddam would plagiarize Winston Churchill's "fight them on the beaches" speech.  I wonder if he has suitcases full of gems and cash packed already.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2003, 01:26:40 PM »
sling322 : that's the problem when speaking different languages ... from time to time you confuse words ... I was thinking of "barre a mine"

BARRE À MINE: n. f.
1. T. cour. Longue barre de métal à l'extrémité pointue, utilisée pour tous types de travaux: agriculture ou jardinage, nettoyage de terrains, travaux publics, maçonnerie, etc. […] nous plantons une partie des arbres […]. Chacun y va de sa barre à mine […]. (Les Nouvelles 14-06-1990, 10.)
encycl.: Cette lourde pièce de métal était utilisée autrefois par les mineurs pour détacher les blocs de minerai ou de houille. V. Sabre d'abattis.
2. Cour. Pieu ayant les mêmes fonctions que la barre à mine de métal décrite supra. […] parmi les grands chênes […] où ils taillaient leurs barres à mine […]. (Sénès J. 1987, 115.)

this :

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2003, 01:28:29 PM »
well we allready know bright orange jackets and bullhorns dont work too good against armor...

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2003, 01:29:27 PM »
Originally posted by Ghosth
You sneak up & jam stick in view slit, or jam it in turret so it won't traverse.
Then hide around back with your knife.

When crewmember pops hatch to remove stick  you cut his throat.

This would then be a great time to have a gernade or Molotov cocktail.

Gurrilla Warfare can & does work. Look at Vietnam.

:rolleyes:

First off, the M1 doesn't have view slits. Those went away after WW2. The M48's and later use view prisms of armored glass. A stick won't even scratch it.
Second, the turret gears are on the INSIDE of the tank and not expopsed to the outside.  Your premise on this level of attack are rather beneath contempt.

Third, tanks do not go anywhere alone. You use the 30 cal to "scratch the back" of a fellow tank, as they did in Viet Nam.

Fourth protecting tanks from infantry is what the friendly infantry is for, as I stated before tanks don't go anywhere alone.

I was in armor and taught briefly at Ft. Knox, but hey far be it from me to correct your ignorance of modern weaponry and tactics.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2003, 01:51:34 PM »
How many of those 400 some odd Iraqi tanks they got left from the last...um...engagement? How many of those Abrams the US lose to Iraqi fire? Anyone know?
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2003, 01:58:32 PM »
Here's a brief article that answers my question.

http://www.leyden.com/gulfwar/m1.html
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Hortlund

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2003, 02:12:02 PM »
"1,178 M1A1's were used along with 594 M1-A1 Heavy Armor (HA) tanks"

Anyone care to explain the difference?

Offline Rasker

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2003, 02:20:39 PM »
might the HA version have extra Chobham armor slapped on? I believe the Marine Corps does that with their relatively old M-60's.

Offline Ossie

• Copper Member
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2003, 02:23:02 PM »
It's actually DU armor.