Author Topic: Kill stealers, they aren't a new thing*  (Read 203 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Kill stealers, they aren't a new thing*
« on: May 07, 2001, 12:37:00 PM »
The following is taken from Osprey Combat Aircraft Series #9 Mosquito Fighter/Fighter-Bomber Units of World War 2 by Martin Bowman, on Page 62 the caption to the photograph reads:

Sqn Ldr David John 'Blackie' Williams DFC (left) and his navigator, Flg Off C J Kirkpatrick are seen in front of their No 406 Sqn Mosquito, which was aptly named "Blackie" & "Kirk".  Williams, a native of Vancouver, joined the RACF in 1940 and began his tour flying Hampdens with No 408 Sqn.  Perhaps his most notable achievement with the Handely Page bomber came on 27/28 August 1942 during a night raid on Kassel when he shot down a Ju 88 with the fixed pilot's gun, and then repulsed an attack by a Bf 109 on the return flight home.  Flt Lt Williams was awarded a DFC soon after this sortie, and he went on to complete his tour the following October.  Following a spell with No 410 Sqn as a flight commander and conversion onto fighters at No 54 OTU, 'Blackie' was promoted to squadron leader in August 1943 and posted to No 406 'Lynx' Sqn as a flight commander.  He subsequently attained Wing Commander rank in July 1944 and was given command of the unit.  By this time he had shot down a He 177 while flying a Beaufighter, two Do 217s on 29/30 April flying a Mosquito NF XII and 1½ Do 217s in NF XXX MM731 during a Day Ranger on 21 July - the half took the form of a Do 217 that he had hit in one engine and set alight before he had broken off as the crew were bailing out, only for another Mosquito to cut in,fire, and claim credit for shooting it down!  Williams was awarded a DSO in September 1944 and finished the war with five and one shared destroyed.

*I do not kill steal and I do not condone kill stealers.

------------------
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

Bring the Mosquito FB.MkVI Series 2 to Aces High!!!

Sisu
-Karnak
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2001, 01:02:00 PM »
Yeager in his book said he had a fella zoom in on a plane he had shot down and fire of some rounds for the the guncam then he tried to share credit when they rtb.  Yeager went over and had a little talk with him.  
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline SpitLead

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2001, 02:12:00 PM »
yea, prolly with his fists doing the talkin'

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2001, 02:41:00 PM »
I read once that the top Mosi V1 killer missed getting 60 of them by the fact that another guy was spraying at his 60th  from 1k and claimed the kill. So he got 59.5

Offline Don

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2001, 07:11:00 PM »
Hehe, it seems that what I have observed in the MA isn't a pigment of my imagination.
I worked an nme down to where I could get on his 6 (not a face shoot). This other guy dives in as I did a hi lag lead turn and got on his 6 and shot my prey down. He got the credit for the kill. I was pissed that I did the work and he swooped in when it was easy to get a sloppy seconds kill.
Some guys fly any sim for different reasons. This kind of thing I describe is made possible by killshooter. If I hadn't seen this guy jump in, I might have shot him and killed myself. I have read the arguments for and against, and I find each side has reasonableness but, it sure sux when it happens to you  

Offline 2Late4U

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2001, 07:47:00 PM »
Yea sure, there were jerks in the 1940's too.  Problem is in the MA, the jerkoff morons are eppidemic.  I call them out, naming the pathetic dweebs each and every time I see them.  I have no problems with getting an assist, I dont care if I ping a bomber till its smoking bad and someone esle blows it up...thats fine because smoke doesnt equal a kill or stop the NME from being a threat.  If you watch me fly you will often see me dive in on an NME and just fly by without firing because the plane is already disabled.

Here are a few clues about what is considered a DEAD plane.

A fighter who is low and slow, on the deck with your fellow countryman carefully picking him appart from dead six.

ANY plane spinning to the ground because a piece (ie wing/tail) is missing.

ANYTHING on fire.

Its pathetic, and if the comunity wants it to stop it must be handled as unacceptable behavior.  The only people you will upset are those who know they are doing something wrong and dont want to be called on it.

Offline Fokker

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.inbusiness.no
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2001, 07:50:00 PM »
Killshooter could be turned off now with perks. If you had some perk loss from killing a friendly, I dont think it would happen on purpose.

As it is now I quite often end up killing me self beacuse friendlies jump in btw.

Loosing perks would make it more real life. Friendly hits did happen, but it sure was not revarded.