Author Topic: A photo report on a vet - Fokkers and big images.  (Read 679 times)

Offline Grendel

• Silver Member
      • http://www.compart.fi/icebreakers
A photo report on a vet - Fokkers and big images.
« on: April 01, 2003, 02:32:44 PM »

I'm working on the interview and photos of one of the silent heroes of the war.

One of those, who were never recognized and seldom honored, but did their duty.
 This man is mr. Tapani Lampimäki, a local WW2 veteran. He served in the LeLv 14, as radio operator and machine gunner. His squadron flew the oldest junk FiAF ever had. Ancient Fokker C.V biplanes, just a tiny bit newer Fokker C.X's and a bit with the horrendous Lysanders. They lived in wilderness airstrip, in middle of ancient forests, bears and Russian partisans. No front lines, both sides actively scouting and fighting in each's rear.

Mr. Lampimäki was one of the most experienced gunners, navigators, radio mans, in the squadron. His mission was to scout, to find Russian patrols day and night, summer and winter. They flew in conditions when all other planes were grounded. They flew in a war most of you can't imagine - dive bombing enemy forces, bases, supply bases, troop movements in those lumbering horrors from stone age, heavily laden with bombs and absolutely no armor plates; in area where the enemy reigned supreme in air, with newer, faster, more heavily armed fighter planes against the few outdated Morane-Saulnier 406 fighters the squadron had - still in 1944!

And he made it through. I feel lucky having met with couple of times and talking with him.

Of course, thanks to the Dutch for building such sturdy planes. Without such remarkable, durable handiwork he would be dead today - but the plane brought him back, even with the plane once shot into total shambles. The mechanics counted 27 bullet holes around his seat, the engine was hit, oil mostly drained out, a fuel tank fell off in flight and during repairs the wings actually fell off the plane. But the Fokker brougth both of them back!

Fokker C.V. destroyed in SOviet bombing 1942.

A handsome young man in 1944, mr. Lampimäki at Tiiksjärvi wilderness air base.

Mr. Lampimäki in 1943.

"My trusty warhorse for two years, FO-68 (Fokker C.V.)"

Back from a mission, dropping food supplies to a starving Finnish "sissi" patrol behind enemy lines 1944.

It wasn't always serious. 1941.

New orders - to Blenheim squadron PLeLv 48 in 1944.

The old veteran, blind today, participated in the Association trip and touched - as he couldn't see it -  his old friend, Blenheim, for the first time since the war.

It all will be in our aviation history site, in english some day :)

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2003, 02:36:00 PM »
very nice, thank you

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2003, 04:22:53 PM »
Very nice indeed!
(And that 5th picture... it looks so cold, brrr..)
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline udet

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
      • http://www.angelfire.com/nd/mihaipruna/dogfight.html
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2003, 01:29:37 PM »
gj Grendel

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2003, 09:43:41 PM »
Grendel another really fine post.

Thanks for this and all previous ones !
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2003, 09:17:43 AM »
hmmm...very interesting...how about doing one on hans ulrich rudel...

Offline LLv34_Camouflage

• Gold Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2003, 10:04:24 PM »
Originally posted by vorticon

I don't think Rudel's alive anymore? Otherwise a good idea. :)

Grendel, myself and a few of our Virtualpilot friends interviewed a Fiat G.50 / Brewster / 109G -pilot today. He is one of only 20 finnish pilots who got night fighter training in the Luftwaffe during summer 1944. Great stories! :)

Camo
CO, Lentolaivue 34
Brewster's in AH!
"How about the power to kill a Yak from 200 yards away - with mind bullets!"

Offline fats

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2003, 10:55:57 PM »
Yes Rudel died in 1982. Anyone read the the booklets he wrote while in Argentina during the 50s? Guess this would be an another thread really.

// fats

Offline Esme

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2003, 02:52:06 AM »
Outstanding...! Can you reccomend any bookson the aerial aspects of the fighting the Finns did? Prefereably in English, German or French, butif they're good, I'd even consider buying ones in Finnish nd a Finnish-English dictionary when I can afford it! :-}

We really could do with more of the early war and second-line planes modelled.  Blenheim, Hs123, Brewster, I-16... :-}

Esme

Offline LLv34_Camouflage

• Gold Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2003, 06:43:51 AM »
Esme, Osprey's "Finnish Aces of World War Two"  (ISBN 1-85532-783-X) would be good to start with.  It has the Finnish air war in a nutshell.

Illu Juutilainen's "Double Fighter Knight" (ISBN 952-5026-04-03) is also a great book.  Juutilainen was the highest scoring non-German ace in Europe with his 94 confirmed victories. He was really a character. At the age of 80, "he considered growing up". His great personality is fully portrayed in his book! :)

The book about the most succesful Finnish fighter squadron, "Lentolaivue 24" (ISBN 1-84176-262-8) is also worth reading. LeLv24 is probably the most succesful fighter squadron in history. In the first five months of the Continuation War, 25.6.1941 - 03.12.1941, LeLv24 achieved a little over a 100 confirmed victories with their Brewsters, without a single operational loss.

These books are all in English.

Camo
CO, Lentolaivue 34
Brewster's in AH!
"How about the power to kill a Yak from 200 yards away - with mind bullets!"

Offline Vector

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2003, 07:15:19 AM »
Originally posted by LLv34_Camouflage
Juutilainen was the highest scoring non-German ace in Europe with his 94 confirmed victories.
Camo

Camo, shouldn't that be "Juutilainen was the highest scoring non-German ace in WORLD with his 94 confirmed victories. "?
Can't recall any Japanese ace achieved more victories. Could be that I'm wrong, tho.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2003, 07:24:56 AM by Vector »

Offline Grendel

• Silver Member
      • http://www.compart.fi/icebreakers
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2003, 01:46:54 PM »
Originally posted by vorticon

We're concentrating on Finnish aerial history. At least I leave it to the Germans to handle their own :)

Esme, good book recommendations there. Go especially for "Lentolaivue 24".

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2003, 08:52:00 AM »
oh right... didnt realise that...ah well ill just have to wait for someone else to write it...