Author Topic: Spit IX  (Read 1080 times)

Offline AronL

• Zinc Member
Spit IX
« on: March 20, 2003, 12:13:01 PM »
this plane is a beauty, but why does it turn so bad?

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
Re: Spit IX
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2003, 12:22:20 PM »
Originally posted by AronL
this plane is a beauty, but why does it turn so bad?

is this supposed to be a trick question?  The spit9 isnt the tightest turning turnfighter, but it can still turn better than anything able to outrun it.

Offline AronL

• Zinc Member
Spit IX
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2003, 12:28:48 PM »
when i point my nose at some enemy the plane just flips over and crashes

Im used to counter-strike tho :)

Offline jonnyb

• Nickel Member
Spit IX
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2003, 12:44:59 PM »
Assuming you're not fishing...

It sounds like you are stalling the plane.  You can't simply point and shoot like you would in a first person shooter, or some very poorly modelled flight sims.  You have to know the dynamics of flight and the concept of energy in relation to planes.

In the simplest terms, an airplane needs to be travelling at a minimum speed to keep itself in the air.  You go below that speed, and the airplane is no longer flying, but falling.  There are other factors that contribute to an aircraft's performance as well.  You can induce a high speed stall by violently disrupting the airflow over the control surfaces.  The best way to picture this is the flat spin that Goose and Maverick went into when they flew through the jet wash in Top Gun.  They certainly weren't going too slow, but the disruption in airflow caused the engines to flame out and the plane to spin uncontrollably.

You can simulate this in AH.  Fly your plane straight and level and then yank back and left/right on the stick.  Your plane will spin and fall.

There is some really great info on this board, and a lot of websites dedicated to virtual air combat.  Search through here and you'll find what you need.

Oh, and if you were fishing, consider me landed.  Take your trophy picture, remove the hook and place me back into the pond.

:D

Offline AronL

• Zinc Member
Spit IX
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2003, 01:01:03 PM »
you are back in the pond jonnyb :D

but thx for the reply tho :)

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
Spit IX
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2003, 01:19:44 PM »
doesnt turn well because it doesnt need to...anything it cant outrun it outturns and everything utrns well if you dont know how

as well you have to be in range for your bullets to hit and you have to know how the bullets are going to fall...seems tricky but it isnt...to much...if you want a better turning plane try the spit5 or hurri2c

Offline bockko

• Nickel Member
      • http://groups.yahoo.com/group/blackoutboys/
Spit IX
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2003, 02:54:24 PM »
zero turns worse than spit.....

Offline WldThing

• Gold Member
Spit IX
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2003, 03:08:41 PM »
Originally posted by bockko

Since when?

Offline Wax

• Nickel Member
Spit IX
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2003, 03:15:23 PM »
yea since when does a zero not out turn a spit?? I think u need to pratice alot more in diff plane before you can say anymore.. lol:D
Army of Muppets
 Make this real...the only muppet I have any respect for is Fester. Rest of you muppets can swab my sweat. Trikky

Offline bockko

• Nickel Member
Spit IX
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2003, 03:25:58 PM »
hello gents, this post is a troll :eek:

Offline wetrat

• Gold Member
Spit IX
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2003, 05:30:40 PM »
Originally posted by bockko

Ummm... no?
Army of Muppets

Offline bockko

• Nickel Member
Spit IX
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2003, 06:12:29 PM »
okokok....hello, mcfly.....

ok, we all know, or should know, that zero outurns spit..also we all know, or should know, that spit ix isn't a crummy turn plane. Did everyone miss the pond thing? AronL has a few trout on the line.

see you guys up! :p

Offline wetrat

• Gold Member
Spit IX
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2003, 02:14:12 AM »
I always was one to take the bait..
Army of Muppets

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Spit IX
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2003, 11:15:18 AM »
The main reason you have inferior turn preformance in a spitIX is improper pilot diet...since the plane is an english design it's center of gravity was modeled after english pilots..and diets of course. Amazingly AH has been able to model this, I'd suggest typical english "combat rations" prior to flight...lets say fishheads and rice for example and see if this helps...a couple of pints of warm beer might also do the trick.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline bockko

• Nickel Member
Spit IX
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2003, 09:11:54 PM »
i thought the engilish combat ration was tea and crumpets, served at 4 pm. Or was it roast mutton...oh wait, think that was the scottish ration....oh well.