Author Topic: Cougar Owner Survey  (Read 1347 times)

Offline Stridr417

• Zinc Member
Cougar Owner Survey
« on: March 26, 2003, 07:36:58 AM »
Hi all - I want to take the plunge and pick up the TM Cougar setup, but before I do, I want to make *certain* that I'm making the right choice. To that end, how do all you current Cougar users find the experience? Is it worth the money, or should I stick with a cheaper solution like Saitek?

I'm running WinXP pro, 512Mb RAM, AMD 800MHz (soon to be 1.3GHz). I need it to work with my existing CH analog pedals. My current stick is a beat up TM Top Gun, which is only marginally functional.

Lastly, how do i slip this purchase past my wife, who is not thrilled with the idea of a 400$ "toy"?

This is primarily for Warbirds III, but I figure that there is enough in common with the 2 sims to post my questions here as well ;)

Thanks!

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ch-hangar.com
Cougar Owner Survey
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2003, 10:28:21 AM »
I very much like my Cougar, it's the best stick I have ever owned. The feel of the stick is like nothing else out there and all the hatswitches (all 8 way hats) and buttons have a really nice positive feel without being clicky like some sticks are. The springs feel a little stiff at first but you soon get used to them after a few sorties and the throttle has an adjustable tension wheel so you can alter it to suit your taste.

Programming the Cougar may seem daunting at first but if you follow the excellent FOXY tutorial you'll have a profile done in no time although if you do decide to purchase one (you'd be doing yourself a disservice is you did'nt) I have profiles for Aces High, IL-2, Warbirds II and Warbirds III to get you started at my squads site here.

Offline Stridr417

• Zinc Member
Cougar Owner Survey
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2003, 10:31:30 AM »
Great, thanks for the advice.  I've noticed that they are getting harder to find as well...

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
Cougar Owner Survey
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2003, 12:30:14 PM »
I would say I am pleased with it in almost every aspect but one and I don't have the money to fix that right now. I must be lucky in that I have not increase in the "center" play on my stick but I do wish the "flat spots" around the movement were not there. But with that said I am pleased with the purchase and it has done well. Although there is a glitch many Cougar users have found where you are not able to install the newest software for the stick. I have been banging my head on the installation wall since December and have gotten zero support from the alleged Cougar Support team at TM. I have gotten "un-official" support from TheMoon (guy over at Cougar World who works for TM) and he has tried to help out with every known trick but no change.

I personally think it is something to do with my WinXP installation and that is something I am changing in the next couple of weeks.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ch-hangar.com
Cougar Owner Survey
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2003, 01:27:43 PM »
Reschke> You're not alone in not having any increase in centre play, out of interest I dug out my old CH and Saitek stick and the Saitek was the worst of the bunch and I remember feeling the play increase while the Cougar and the CH stick were roughly the same.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
Cougar Owner Survey
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2003, 02:26:21 PM »
Great sticks except for the center play and lack of precision for small aim adjustments, which is part and parcel to the play.

I had 3/4's inch of movement after 5 months with mine before I sold it.

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
Cougar Owner Survey
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2003, 04:00:28 PM »
almost no center 'play' after 5 months here...
I love it.

I do have a little problem with the main hat though..
gonna look into it when I get time

Offline Doberman

• Copper Member
Cougar Owner Survey
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2003, 06:39:25 PM »
My Cougar is far & away the best peripheral I've owned.  Basic programming is not at all difficult while the in-depth logical programming lets you do some amazing things.

I've had mine for a year and have no more than the mm or two of center play that it had when I bought it.  Which was exactly on par with every other stick I've owned, including my CH Pro stuff.

I've got no real problems with the weight of the springs.  I wouldn't mind if maybe the transition spots between the axis' were a little less prominant, but it's certainly not enough to turn me off of the stick.

The one downside?  The fact that there are no rudders with toe brakes that'll plug right into the thing.  My USB CH Pro's work fine in AH, but some games won't let you use two different controllers.  (Mostly just some older stuff though.  Pretty much eveyrthing recent lets you assign in game controls to any different physical controls you have plugged in.)

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Cougar Owner Survey
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2003, 12:58:58 AM »
love it. little bit of play after a year but the fine control never got to where I want it.
so time for this.

that should just about do it.

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
Cougar Owner Survey
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2003, 02:54:33 AM »
Pongo is that what I think it is? The Ultra mod from IJ down in Oz? You bastard why do you have to tempt us with things like that. :D Especially when I am in the midst of a mod time like I am now.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline TheFox

• Copper Member
      • http://www.fox-photography.co.uk
Cougar Owner Survey
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2003, 04:04:34 AM »
Had mine for about a year now and have been very pleased with the whole thing.

The programming capability is fantastic, even though I don't fully understand how to achieve its full capabilities I have managed by 'borrowing' profiles from other users and modifying to suit my own needs. You don't have to be an expert to get the most out of it - just ask in the user groups, there is always someone ready to share their skills.

It feels fantastic to handle, and despite the various comments about heavy springs, centre play etc., just blows everything else out of the water. I was a long time user of CH kit and would hear nothing said against them until they effectively withdrew support for non-USB kit and I had to look elsewhere.

Once I had tried the Cougar, there was no contest in terms of feel, capability and perhaps most importantly, flying pleasure.

Yes, in common with any change of stick my results went downhill initially, but quite frankly it didn't matter, it just felt much better and consequently I quickly returned to my normal pathetic level !

I would recommend the Cougar every time.

Fox
Krait Squadron

:) ;) :)

Offline Modas

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
Cougar Owner Survey
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2003, 10:37:35 AM »
My squad airboss has a cougar set up that he hasn't even used yet...  he might be willing to part with it if you email him...

email me if your intersted along with contact info and I'll forward the info to him.  You guys can work it out from there

Offline qts

• Nickel Member
      • None yet
Cougar Owner Survey
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2003, 02:44:01 PM »
I love my Cougar.

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
Cougar Owner Survey
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2003, 04:20:28 PM »
Okay, the Cougar has it's problems like any other stick but on the whole I'm extremely satisfied with the Cougar.  The best thing is that you can take all of it apart really easily.  It has good community support and also upgrade kits.  It's by far the best stick I've ever owned.
NEXX