Author Topic: Gunsights  (Read 828 times)

Offline scJazz

• Copper Member
Gunsights
« on: March 16, 2003, 12:50:53 PM »
OK I've checked out all the awesome galleries with excellent gunsights. Now my question...

Just what are the circle within circles, angled lines, xtra crosses, etc supposed to mean? I know that you use them to calculate deflection for a shot but where is the description that says when the target passes the bottom most edge of the circle @ 500' pull the trigger and it dies? Am I making any sense? The noskill gunsight would be much more useful if there were any description of what the sight means.

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
Gunsights
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2003, 02:35:21 PM »
http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/air_combat/gunsights/index-pf.html

There is no no-skill gunsight, or a "Put target here and fire" marks.  They're mostly there for helping to judge lead angles and ranges.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2003, 02:39:05 PM by Innominate »

Offline bockko

• Nickel Member
      • http://groups.yahoo.com/group/blackoutboys/
Gunsights
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2003, 05:47:42 PM »
ditto innominate, the marks at the 12 and 6 positions can be used for lining up ordnance drops and judging lead for your drop. But still, you are the target computer, you gotta factor alt, angle, speed, distance to target, etc.

Offline MaddogJoe

• Nickel Member
Gunsights
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2003, 06:22:24 AM »
scJazz, check out the info at the 444th Air Mafia site. Click on Aces High info and then "Air to Air Targeting" tells ya all ya need to know!  :)

Maddog Joe

Offline Gianlupo

• Platinum Member
gunnery skill
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2003, 08:12:23 AM »
scJazz

a no-skill gunsight would be very useful, but, unfortunately, it doesn't exist. Instead, you may improve your skill in using gunsight reading the articles written by former USAF Lt.Col. Andy Bush for SimHQ. They are very clear and useful. Here is the address of the Air Combat Corner

http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/air_combat/air_combat.shtml

Read the "Air to air gunnery" and "Moving mud" series: I think you will find those articles very interesting (but the whole ACC is great!)

Let me know if you liked it! See you!
Live to fly, fly to live!

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
Gunsights
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2003, 08:19:14 AM »
I had a very similar questions quite awhile ago ... here is the thread

http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45349&highlight=gunsight

Andy Bush participates in this thread and he points to an article that he wrote for SimHQ ... very informative article.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
Gunsights
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2003, 09:17:30 AM »
http://4wing.obviousonline.com

You can find my simple sights there

SKurj

Offline scJazz

• Copper Member
Gunsights
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2003, 12:31:02 PM »
Some of you missed my point about the noskill gunsight. I know that there is no gunsight that allows A2A combat without skill. My point was there is a gunsight called noskill. Unfortunately there is no supporting documentation to tell anyone why this sight is so easy to use that it could be called "noskill".

After reading Mr. Bush's article regarding the subject I've come to a conclusion. Each of the gunsights was designed to be used with specific gun convergence and with a specific target airplane in mind. Bush describes target wingspan and the diameter of a gunsight circle as being deeply related to target range and optimal convergence.

To sum up in an enviroment like AH where dozens of different planes can be engaged or flown a simple pip gunsight would be about as effective as any other. Instead we should concentrate on "using the force".

Slapshot thanks for the links to Bush's article.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
Gunsights
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2003, 04:03:29 PM »
scJazz,

That is a great article. Andy use to frequent here but haven't seen him post in quite awhile.

Here are the sights that I use now. They are alpha (illuminated) sights.

You place both the ???.bmp and ???_alpha.bmp into the HTC\Aces High\sights directory and when choosing the sight in AH setup, you chose the ???.bmp

Fighter: Carefull here because it is named "default". This should automatically change all plane gunsights to this sight without a lot of effort/

default.bmp

default_alpha.bmp

Jabo: For this sight I explicitly go into the AH setup and choose this one for all the planes that I use for JABO. The bottom dot is what I use to line up the bomb drop on. Usually try to get 45 degree angle on drop using the lower dot.

default2.bmp

default2_alpha.bmp

Credit here to Mitsu's buddy AERO. I took one of his sights and modified it.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2003, 06:35:10 PM by SlapShot »
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Gianlupo

• Platinum Member
Gunsights
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2003, 07:50:15 AM »
Innominate,

I'm sorry, I didn't notice that you've had already posted the link to Andy's article:p  Hope you didn't take offence for this!;)
Live to fly, fly to live!

Offline AdmRose

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/cmdrrose/index.html
Gunsights
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2003, 08:33:13 PM »
The P-51 had a no-skill gunsight. It was gyroscopic, and compensated for the movement of the plane. Get the enemy in the circle and pull the trigger, and the bullets would hit. Too bad we don't have it here. :)

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
Gunsights
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2003, 12:23:26 PM »
If we did, the WHINE would be deafening and heard around the world !!!

People here have enuff problems with the P-51, nevermind adding a no-skill gunsight.
SlapShot - Blue Knights