Author Topic: Hi everyone Newbi here  (Read 360 times)

Offline Northendawn

• Zinc Member
Hi everyone Newbi here
« on: March 31, 2003, 10:42:35 AM »
I plan to log soon in the game but i'm ill equiped to play so if you can cue me on what stick should i get and other technical tips you can give me, well it willl greatly appreciated...

Offline jonnyb

• Nickel Member
Hi everyone Newbi here
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2003, 10:45:29 AM »
It really depends on how much you're looking to invest.  Some of the setups in here can run upwards of 500 US.  Alternatively, some guys fly using the mouse and keyboard.

I personally use a Microsoft Precision2.  I got it for $19.95 US brand new at Best Buy.

Offline Northendawn

• Zinc Member
Hi everyone Newbi here
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2003, 11:47:06 AM »
That sound like what i'm looking for. I play EQ too and i play with the lowest cost equipement i can find, i dont understand people putting K on their pc for a game, these are games not rl, they are made for real serious fun... i keep my bucks to go out with my girl.
I already fly a real plane, so i cant figure go "fighting" on mouse control...

Offline bockko

• Nickel Member
      • http://groups.yahoo.com/group/blackoutboys/
Hi everyone Newbi here
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2003, 07:12:38 PM »
WELL. Many guys here fly for real...many guys (gals too) just plain love aviation. This game is not like quake in that the people who play usually play because of their real life passion for the planes. If you are just looking for a quake or duke nukem shootemup you will not like this sim. However, if you do truly have some amount of pilot blood coursing through your veins then you will appreciate the need for decent equipment. Point in case, a cheapy joystick without rudder or programmable buttons severely limit your ability to stay focused when things get hot. Using the key board can be done, but if you really want to have success the minimum stick is one that has, of course, x/y axis, rudder (twist or rocker), throttle and programmable buttons. Any stick without these minimums is just a toy, not a Requisite Flight Sim Tool. The microsoft stick, $40 u.s. dollars, is a perfect stick for the price. As mentioned you can spend more. For info on the game, read the help files; also check http://www.netaces.org has great insight. Also, fly offline, make sure you can take off, shoot down the drones, drop bombs, and land. Also, if you get a good stick, set up your views and programmable buttons to suit your taste. You can tweek everything as you go along.

bockk

Offline Northendawn

• Zinc Member
Hi everyone Newbi here
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2003, 09:36:16 PM »
I dont want to make people angry with my comments.
Some EQ player double box there play, play with couple k pc just because they want top of notch thing.
To have fun doesnt mean to be stupid and get your complete squadron screw-up, it mean have fun. You crash!!  well, so be it. Lets try again!!
The cheapest control doesn't mean the loosiest one. I'm taking notes about the names you are given me and, i check whats available at our prices here up north...
I asked for advice so i can see what you guys using. The reason why i ask now its because i want to train before i get in line...
You cant get real time sensations, feels,about your plane from behind a pc with the kids running around the house...You got to learn again to fly. My point of view...
If you talk 40-60$ for a pedals and joystick thats fine by me.
But a game is still A GAME.

Offline mia389

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Hi everyone Newbi here
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2003, 09:43:58 AM »
Hi Northern,,, I ues a micorsoft sidewinder I got at bestbuy for 40bucks or so and works fine. Your pc might want a decent video card, but I would try it first see how it acks at first.  I played on a labtop when I first started with a 8mb video card and played fine until got into a big crowds. I would use your 2 week trial for a test and if have any problems the AH community is a great help.

Offline mia389

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Hi everyone Newbi here
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2003, 09:45:20 AM »
hehe some guys go way overboard on getting 200dollar joysticks and pedals and 300dollar gaming cards, you dont need all that for AH. Skuzzys hints and tips helped me out as well

Offline Northendawn

• Zinc Member
Hi everyone Newbi here
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2003, 11:00:29 AM »
I got an old pII fully overclock that give nightmare to some pIV, and a 3d rendering without lag in almost every game. EQ use dx8.1 so... and ask for 512meg of ram, so im not that out of date. But i want to figure out what it is to buy as "Needed", and see what exist "to make you feel a pilot" i.e. for show.

Is force feedback a most, seems to me it could be?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2003, 11:02:55 AM by Northendawn »

Offline Nwbie

• Gold Member
Hi everyone Newbi here
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2003, 11:58:29 AM »
I use a MS Sidewinder with throttle on it, think was about 25 dollars at Best Buy, I use keyboard for views and rudder control, is almost same setup I used in Air Warrior and works fine for me, I am sure rudder pedals would be a nice addition, but my wife seems to think the kitchen needs updating first, so I guess I'll wait on the pedals :)

The most important thing for me in AH was finally getting rid of the nose bounce, played with the stick setup and damping for about 2 weeks when I finally just slid the sliders all the way to the top, and slight increase on dampers from bottom--presto - no bounce, so what I am saying is, make sure you are comfortable with your stick settings, cuz it got damn frustrating for me..

Best of luck, it's a fun game

NwBie
Skuzzy-- "Facts are slowly becoming irrelevant in favor of the nutjob."

Offline mia389

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Hi everyone Newbi here
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2003, 12:24:41 PM »
I dunno I know alot of guys love ffb and some hate it. Ive never tried it

Offline acetnt

• Zinc Member
Hi everyone Newbi here
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2003, 01:24:36 PM »
I have a forcefeedback stick and I just got pedals - Really had to work hard to sell this one to my wife. She's still angry bout it though :-)

THe thing, while I understand your point of view, I must say that my experience with the game is greatly enhanced using the FFB joystick and pedals, so much so that I really do not think I would enjoy it as much without it.

I have a microsoft forcefeedback 2 usb joystick and CH Pro usb pedals.

In the end it is up to the individual I suppose