Author Topic: Report 03-31-03  (Read 4717 times)

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
Report 03-31-03
« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2003, 09:39:11 AM »
Nice Rude! *Ovation*  and Ditto on what Martlet said.

Boroda still hasn't caught on to that yet! LOL :D

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
Report 03-31-03
« Reply #61 on: April 01, 2003, 09:55:40 AM »
Boroda, bored again ?

and what?!?!?!  you get to drink at work ?!?!
ok, now I'm envious.. sorta.

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Report 03-31-03
« Reply #62 on: April 01, 2003, 09:59:44 AM »
Rude, there were several "stages" of Afghan war, and situation changed from nice and almost peacefull entering the country (Afghans still think "Shuravi" are their friends), to severe failures and losses, then, with some experience and change of command losses were minimized, and almost every goal reached. The Panjsher gorge was taken with the loss of only 2 men (newbee officer shot by a sniper and a soldier who stepped on a landmine), after terrible losses in futile attempts for several years. Then came the "retreat" and again catastrophic losses, some units went back several weeks after Gromov declared he was the "last Soviet soldier in Afghanistan". Anyway, the decision to withdraw was absolutely political, and can be called criminal. The war never ended, it simply moved towards the borders of former USSR. We still have a complete motorinfantry dividion, with aviation and other "additional" troops in Tajikistan, not speaking of the Commonwealth border guards, mostly Russian too. I have friends who lost their health and lost many comrades on the "peacekeeping" mission there. :(

The whole Afghan war was a silly adventure :( Instead of letting the things go the way they did, Soviet government should have better make sure Zakir-Shah wasn't overthrown in 1973. Afghanistan was our traditional ally, and all that happened there in the 70s lead to what we have now. No good when the country is the "boxing ring" for two superpowers.

As for you supporting your troops and president - I am not surprised and only can say that I'd be surprised if you didn't think so.

Again, the quote from Jethro Tull:

My words but a wisper, your deafness - a shout
I can't make you think, but I can make you feel

:)

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Report 03-31-03
« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2003, 10:19:35 AM »
Originally posted by Wlfgng
Boroda, bored again ?

and what?!?!?!  you get to drink at work ?!?!
ok, now I'm envious.. sorta.

Hehe :)

Working as an IT engineer in a big RAS institute has some advantages: earning about $40 monthly gives me a certain degree of fredom to do whatever I want :) Anyway they'll don't find anyone who'll do my job for such money, and I have plenty of time to work on other contracts :) We say: "They are trying to look like they pay us, and we try to look as if we work". I think I can drink at the server room, especially when I know that institute's network runs on the hardware I bought for my own money :)

More to say: the only attempt to fire me was made because I stay at work too late! :D

The disadvantages are that I can't bring friends (I still remember when we had WB meetings with glintwein) or girls here :D

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Report 03-31-03
« Reply #64 on: April 01, 2003, 10:20:19 AM »
P.S.: It's not April Fool, it's just Russia ;)

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
Report 03-31-03
« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2003, 10:39:07 AM »
Originally posted by Boroda
P.S.: It's not April Fool, it's just Russia ;)

Aint that the truth...

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
Report 03-31-03
« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2003, 10:44:04 AM »
earning about $40 monthly
 WOW:eek:

they'd better be supplying the booze and women to make up for the shortfall !!!

Working as an IT engineer in a big RAS institute

ahh.. that explains it... just like Rip and I.. a lot of time to surf the web

hey Ripster.. do you get to drink on the job?... sigh

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
Report 03-31-03
« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2003, 10:45:50 AM »
I'm gonna go spend $40 dollars today and tommorow too just for the hell of it. :D

Gawd this country sucks...

Offline Martlet

• Platinum Member
Report 03-31-03
« Reply #68 on: April 01, 2003, 10:46:56 AM »
Originally posted by GRUNHERZ
I'm gonna go spend $40 dollars today and tommorow too just for the hell of it. :D

heh, amen to that.

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Report 03-31-03
« Reply #69 on: April 01, 2003, 10:56:33 AM »
Originally posted by GRUNHERZ

US stinks!? I have to disagree, unless it started to stink since I was there in 89.

Hint: $40 monthly is probably enough for tobacco. If not - you'll smoke good ol' Prima, sans filter, $.1 per pack :)

/*Boroda lights his "XXI Century Medium Taste" biofilter cigarette, taking a sip from a glass of 1998 Moldavian Cabernet */

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
Report 03-31-03
« Reply #70 on: April 01, 2003, 11:15:34 AM »
Ok, now I'm confused...

At one point early in this thread, the brave and battle hardened Iraqi's were using ultra lethal Russian armaments to make the Yankee's retreat on all fronts, and hundreds if not thousands of M1A2 Abrahams and M2 Bradley's were being destroyed.  Not to mention the hundreds of casulties the US media were not reporting.

But now, late in this thread.  The US is a big mean bully picking on poor little third world Iraq.

Which is it? :confused:

Come on my Russian friends.  If you want to spread propaganda, feel free.  I find it amusing.  But at least keep your propaganda consistent.  That way you might at least convince a few fanatics  like Weazel and MG.

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Report 03-31-03
« Reply #71 on: April 01, 2003, 11:42:59 AM »
Vermillion, Iraqis are doing surprisingly well, despite of the obvious superiority of "coalition". They are even capable to counter-attack. Iraqi aviation and SAMs still all intact, probably preparing several surprises to intervents.

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
Report 03-31-03
« Reply #72 on: April 01, 2003, 11:50:02 AM »
10 quid says Iraqi aviation is not intact.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline --am--

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
Report 03-31-03
« Reply #73 on: April 01, 2003, 12:06:26 PM »
The Americans count, that it is enough to take Bagdad and to displace Sąddam and war finished... The large nonsense. For occupation it is required  not less than of 100 000 soldiers, which will be destroyed slow, but is continuous "partizanen"

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Report 03-31-03
« Reply #74 on: April 01, 2003, 12:09:16 PM »
Originally posted by Dowding
10 quid says Iraqi aviation is not intact.

Do you remember how many destroyed tanks were found by NATO troops in Kosovo after 2 months of bombings? Only two.

So far it looks like intervents waste their weapons for decoys, like they did in 1991...