Author Topic: Skuzzy Please Add To "Tips"  (Read 273 times)

Offline FOGOLD

• Silver Member
Skuzzy Please Add To "Tips"
« on: March 30, 2003, 03:21:03 PM »
Fogold "Can the settings folder cause lockups?"

Skuzzy "If a file gets corrupted, it is possible"

After MONTHS of hell trying to cure lockups, this little piece of information sent me scurrying to clear out everything and re set all my settings from scratch for the first time since starting AH 2 or more years ago. I have had three joysticks since then. Stupidly I thought settings was an innocuous but handy file which i could just save and then copy back after a clean install, never thinking for a moment it could cause such severe problems. Jeez!

ANYONE who is having lockup problems has to try this, a hassle though it is.  I have been through EVERY concieveable troubleshooting regime, up all night tearing my hair out.

No more reinstalling Windows, buying new joysticks, ISDN cards, Powered USB hubs, installing and uninstalling drivers, ripping out RAM banks one at a time, reseating cards, surfing thenet endlessly looking for clues. I AM FREE - FREE I TELL YOU HA HA HA!

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2003, 04:36:04 PM »
Had no effect whatsoever on my lockup problems.  Assuming of course that you blew out your settings folder, I am not sure what you did to cure your problem.
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline FOGOLD

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2003, 12:33:34 AM »
Exactly that. Reinstalled so that there was NO settings folder. Reset video, all sticks, views button settings the lot. Do not reinstate a saved settings folder which you have saved. OR completely remove settings folder .

Dont forget thet when you uininstall the settings file remains in Program files/HTC on your hard drive. You have to delete it manually.

Offline FOGOLD

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2003, 12:34:26 AM »
Of course lockups can be caused by almost anything unfortunately.