Author Topic: For The Record  (Read 1451 times)

Offline Z0mBe

• Zinc Member
to Batz...
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2003, 04:10:31 AM »
Batz,

No offense but, there are plenty of businesses who take the KISS (keep it simple stupid) principle, do one thing very well and focus on a market niche.  Their customer base grows from crossover appeal into other markets, not because they "try to chase more than one rabbit."  In other words, the products themselves do not diversify in these cases, just the single product's quality is so great it appeals to many people.

Diversification as a strategy (not diversification of the customer base as a result of a simple, appealing good or service) is, almost without fail, LESS profitable than a focus strategy.  That is the lesson of the Sears-Roebucks and the IBMs of the business world.

If you doubt me, check out any college management text book, or do some research online :).

Z0mBe

Offline Z0mBe

• Zinc Member
For The Record
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2003, 04:13:39 AM »
lol shane you should see my p40b versus zeke or p38l vs 109gs stats from the past month.  I flew once in the zero this setup. :P

Also, if that were true, I would have flown for the russians in the finrus setup...I flew the la5 one time.  

<> see you in the air

Z0mBe

Offline Puke

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
      • http://members.cox.net/barking.pig/puke.htm
For The Record
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2003, 04:33:29 AM »
No buisnesses diversify their customer base so they can grow. No buisness succeeds by catering to a single product limited customer base. Look at the growth of the main.

And is that catering to the customer or not?
Just where did I specify customer base, single products and all this other stuff you are throwing in?
But I guess you guys can just "piss" on us all and make what Brady wants.

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
      • http://bellsouthpwp.net/w/o/wotans/4JG53/
For The Record
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2003, 05:17:16 AM »
The ct is not crossing over into other markets, it markets to the type of flight sim pilot who enjoys good plane match ups. Each of us have our own ideas as to what "good plane match ups are".

There is a lot of diversity of customers within a given market. Say T Shirts; some like black, some like blue etc. Selling just pink shirts to those 5 who only want pink t shirts isnt a way to grow a buisness.

Catering to a few specific people who dont represent the whole of your potential market does make sense. Theres something to be said for customer loyalty but you cant simply cater to them at the expense of everyone else.

The diversity I am talking about already exists within the current customer base. Its not in creating new markets.

There is a large appeal for Navy planes and there have been a variety of set ups that had navy planes in various theaters, maps, and time frames.

There are a variety of ct cms who have their own preferences. A lot of the whining coming from folks now has to do with "not this planeset again". Which is understandable since this set up was just run. But as stated this is being rerun to help with an upcoming scenario. You would think people would be willing to put up with it for a week.

But all we get is whines from a few folks whos whole contribution to ah is their mouths.

There are other cms and jumping all over Brady as if he alone has stopped any other type of pac set up except the a6m2 vrs the F4F  or the inclusion of the F4u-1 is stupid.

Theres a thread right now asking for a late war pac set up. I am sure one of the cms is looking at that and may have something planned.

I dont care for late war pac and as such I just wont fly it. But berating a guy because he chose not to include a particular persons favorite ride is bs. Just dont fly it. Next week something new will be there.

Sure Shane they can certainly try it again it may or may not help get new guys. Previously when main settings were tried they brought the same amount of folks.

A good thing to try would be to set up one of the smaller main maps  (mindinao, ndisles, ute) up in the ct with the exact same main settings and full plane set as an offset to the trinity or pizza map.

I bet that would bring in more folks.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2003, 05:26:02 AM by Batz »

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
For The Record
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2003, 07:54:08 AM »
Wotan:{whining} Bwady ..... pwotect me fwum the F4UuuuUUUuuu! Thank you, Bwady! Wemember, Bwady ... nothing can pwotect us fwum the F4UuuuUUUuuu! :D

Originally posted by Batz
Everyone? I am telling 2 whiners what their options are. Take it with a grain of salt..........

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
For The Record
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2003, 08:52:31 AM »
Arlo does nothing in AH. He runs his mouth about everything yet contributes 0..

this is not true

he makes a fine target floundering around out there while whining on ch1 :)
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
      • http://bio2.elmira.edu/DMS/index.pl?table=content&faculty=1&page=1
For The Record
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2003, 09:31:06 AM »
I dont think we should confuse the p40e addition to this setup with other more important things (like late war pto and allied plane choices).  We had the p40e in this setup last time and it was unbalancing.  P40b is a fine plane in here, if you have patience and dont mess up.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
For The Record
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2003, 09:32:56 AM »
Well see?! There ya go! And I didn't even have to join the GOB network to do it. :D

Originally posted by Eagler
this is not true

he makes a fine target floundering around out there while whining on ch1 :)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
For The Record
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2003, 09:48:22 AM »
And have a wingie to peel the zeek off yer tail and the zeeks aren't grabbing to 20k and ......

Point is!

Nothing is perfectly balanced. But in the course of human events ... if something goes wrong in the Slot .... the allies must pay the price out of fear of pissing off the IJ players and them quiting.

The F4F (not a bad ride, in general) ends up perk-porked and Brady has to make a choice as to what fighter will temporarily take it's place until things can be fixed. And, as usual, we sure as hell don't wanna give the allied player a plane that can compete, maybe even do better than (some) zekes. Let's play it safe and use the P40b instead. Then if anyone says anything we'll just say they suck. Wotan will have an opportunity to redeem himself by calling others whiners for a change.

The truly ironic thing about it all is the actual character of the dedicated IJ squadrons in the CT. They, for the most part, do not whine, make excuses or carry on about how the IJ players have to be fiercely protected from the hordes of uber blue planes. They welcome challenges. Some even counter the argument that the IJ planeset has no weapon that can counter the awesome and powerful god-planes (the F4U and F6F). Noooo ... these whi .. errr ... arguments are the valiant excu .... errrr .... reasons given by Brady (and co) to "protect" them from not having any fun at all.

So ... if it comes to balance ... there's no alternating or equalizing - only rationalizing. Sorry allied players, you're screwed. Smile and take it or go away because that's yer options.

I don't think so but thanks anyway. ;) :D

Originally posted by ergRTC
I dont think we should confuse the p40e addition to this setup with other more important things (like late war pto and allied plane choices).  We had the p40e in this setup last time and it was unbalancing.  P40b is a fine plane in here, if you have patience and dont mess up.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2003, 10:04:47 AM by Arlo »

Offline Puke

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
For The Record
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2003, 01:11:17 PM »
There is a lot of diversity of customers within a given market. Say T Shirts; some like black, some like blue etc. Selling just pink shirts to those 5 who only want pink t shirts isnt a way to grow a buisness.

What the heck are you talking about??

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
For The Record
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2003, 01:15:55 PM »
A good thing to try would be to set up one of the smaller main maps  (mindinao, ndisles, ute) up in the ct with the exact same main settings and full plane set as an offset to the trinity or pizza map.

I bet that would bring in more folks.

that's just an ass-stupid remark. are you *that* anal retentive about radar settings?
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
For The Record
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2003, 03:02:56 PM »
Puke try reading the thread ( a few posts above yours you may figure it out). I hadnt even seen your second post when I replied to Zombe.

Shane I was serious

Btw radar settings change all the time. Range has been adjusted for various reasons and never set a particular distance. So I dont what your talking about. Theres a lot whining about how folks cant fly the planes they want when they want, creating an alternative "main" eliminates that.

The only ct standards are (or were) icon range and ack lethality. Radar depended on the map. Strat is turned off.

I dont what your "anal retentive" remark is about I can only guess you dont what your talking about. In my tenur as a ct cm radar went every where max (more then the main) to every where in between.

So umm whatever I guess...........:rolleyes:

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
For The Record
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2003, 03:26:48 PM »
well, there's no question that it's a valid alternative to some of the maps in MA, but the CT isn't the place to do that.  lobby for a second MA.

:D
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Puke

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
For The Record
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2003, 03:44:10 PM »
Batz, I know how to read, thank you.  But let me summarize our progress so far:  

You stated Brady should piss on us and do whatever he wants and I said it might be better to cater to the customer.  Then you go into some diatribe about pink t-shirts and diversification and all that.  Believe it or not, those things are not an argument against catering to the customer.  :rolleyes:   Rather, diversifying and all this other stuff you bring up supports catering to the customer.  (Or maybe you have problem with the singular and I should say "customers.")  But please, stop your silly rant about business models because it's completely bizzar.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2003, 03:46:40 PM by Puke »

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
For The Record
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2003, 04:18:56 PM »
"Piss on umm" is directed at only 2 people (well 1 actually if you have read the thread saying brady has a comped account and was abusing his cm powers you would know whats up). If you choose to include yourself in that well thats on you. I really dont care one way or the other.

There are other "customers" that care nothing for pac set ups. You think Brady should cater to 1 particular type of customer (the ones that happen to fly the same planes as you btw). My point to you was theres greater diversity in the customer base that brady shouldnt cater to any of them. Any thing after that had nothing to do with you.

My 2nd reply was to Zombe's post

Batz,

No offense but, there are plenty of businesses who take the KISS (keep it simple stupid) principle, do one thing very well and focus on a market niche. Their customer base grows from crossover appeal into other markets, not because they "try to chase more than one rabbit." In other words, the products themselves do not diversify in these cases, just the single product's quality is so great it appeals to many people.

Diversification as a strategy (not diversification of the customer base as a result of a simple, appealing good or service) is, almost without fail, LESS profitable than a focus strategy. That is the lesson of the Sears-Roebucks and the IBMs of the business world.

If you doubt me, check out any college management text book, or do some research online .

It wasnt a diatribe and it certainly had nothing to do with you. You are putting yourself into a discusion that has little to do with you, then taking remarks out of context that have nothing to do with you. And if my remarks upset you theres the "ignore" feature there for you to use.

You brought up "buisness" btw.

Brady started this thread as response to accusations made in another thread. Anything that comes after that should be kept in that context.

Shane I do all my lobbying at the 'Pik As' anti-F4U-1 weekly meeting. :p