Author Topic: I like russian people  (Read 1235 times)

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
I like russian people
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2003, 06:48:46 PM »
Grun, you asked what would stop you. Evidently, you need laws and courts.

My morals and values are sufficiently developed that I could be a good citizen even in the absence of law enforcement. I'm also smart enough to live near people that share these same values.
sand

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
I like russian people
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2003, 06:55:13 PM »
Well I was saying what would stop any one of many millions of people from acting in any way they saw fit.

Let me put it this way then. Lets say some person with poor morals and values and a car drove into your nice neighborhood,  broke into your home, killed your family, and stole some money - you were away at the time but have an idea who it was.  What would you do? Remember there are no police, there is nobody to call to hold that person accountable. Plus there is nobody to enforce any sort of law and there are no more prisons.

This person just killed your familiy, what do you do? What do your superior morals and values tell you to do now?

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
I like russian people
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2003, 06:57:12 PM »
Let's see... I don't know who it is. There's no one to report to... I have the solution.

I'll invade Iraq. :D
sand

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
I like russian people
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2003, 06:57:59 PM »
Answer the question!

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
I like russian people
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2003, 07:06:00 PM »
Can you make it multiple choice? :D
sand

Offline bounder

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.332viking.com
I like russian people
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2003, 07:11:03 PM »
rofl

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
I like russian people
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2003, 07:12:28 PM »
Ill let your deflections and avoidance stand for what they are...

Offline bounder

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.332viking.com
I like russian people
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2003, 07:14:37 PM »
amusing methods to get you riled Grun.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
I like russian people
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2003, 07:14:38 PM »
Refusal to come up with a meaningful answer to a ridiculous question?
sand

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
I like russian people
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2003, 07:28:23 PM »
Your propsition that crime would not see a significant increase if there was no police law enforcement is ridiculous...

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
I like russian people
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2003, 07:41:56 PM »
Originally posted by GRUNHERZ
Your propsition that crime would not see a significant increase if there was no police law enforcement is ridiculous...

Hmmm... not what I said so I'll quote again:

I expect that the change in crime rate wouldn't be nearly as dramatic as you think.

I truly believe that the people that would become criminal in the absence of law enforcement already are criminals. I believe that most people truly are good and wouldn't turn to crime simply because there are no police. At the same time, I also believe that police do decrease the amount of criminal activity.

Make sense?
sand

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
I like russian people
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2003, 07:42:12 PM »
GRUNHERZ: Let me put it this way then. Lets say some person with poor morals and values and a car drove into your nice neighborhood,  broke into your home, killed your family, and stole some money...  Remember there are no police, there is nobody to call to hold that person accountable. Plus there is nobody to enforce any sort of law and there are no more prisons.

Let me answer the question.

That's an idiotic scenatrio - prodcing completely unrealistic conclusions from a simple premise. Police not only keeps very few people from commiting crimes, it also dissuades, distracts resources and actively prevents people from protecting themselves. Why don't you factor in dissapeareance of those restrictions as well?
 If there were no state police, I can assure you anyone would not have been able to to drive into my nice neighbourhood nearly as easy as he can now with all the police in presence.

There would have been an electrified wire, signal mines, cameras, motion sensors and a roadblock with a concrete bunker manned by a couple of machinegunners plus patrols and rapid reaction force. Oh, yes - and a row of skulls on a pikeheads. Nobody would ever come in if he were not expected. There would have been no crime, no violence in my nice neighbourhood exactly because people would not rely on police - that generally does a lousy job -  catching criminals only after the act and not that often - and there would not be a police to keep us disarmed.

And guess what? It would be much cheaper for me that way - paying for my own weapons, security and private enforcement and participating in my guard duty. Right now the taxes I pay for police are mostly spend in the neighbourhoods other than mine. I would care as little if they kill each other as if they lived in another country - less, actually, since people in the other country are receiving less of my welfare, not voting against me and are not likely to come to my neighbourhood. So you have a quadruple savings here right away.
 The more I think about your "no-police scenario", the more I like it!

miko

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
I like russian people
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2003, 08:12:32 PM »
Fair enough.

But, the question I was posing to you was how would "good" people react to those who commit crimes against them if there was no police?

Offline X2Lee

• Silver Member
I like russian people
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2003, 08:45:38 PM »
Originally posted by GRUNHERZ
Fair enough.

But, the question I was posing to you was how would "good" people react to those who commit crimes against them if there was no police?

It would go back to "eye for an eye"

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
I like russian people
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2003, 08:54:41 PM »
Consider the flipside if everyone in Hitler's army deserted.
====
This is precisely what I dislike about american liberalism/leftism.

While we sit around and consider the flipside, some bad people are doing some really bad things to plain decent people.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns