Author Topic: My PC is going nuts  (Read 354 times)

Offline mia389

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
My PC is going nuts
« on: April 20, 2003, 10:38:36 AM »
Have had this pc for 4 months now and shes getting over used I think. First my fs2002 gives me ctds all the time when i try to open it even after i installed it. Worse yet my screen flashes black every 10min or so. And last when go to shut it down it takes 5min to 10 min to shutdown. Typeing this now, my thinker thing keeps flashing too. Here my specs

Dell P4 2.4
512rambus 1066
gf4 MX440 64mb
windows xp home

Ive done virus scan, defragmented,udated drivers. Any ideas ??

Offline maddog

• Nickel Member
My PC is going nuts
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2003, 10:53:29 AM »
Sounds like a video driver problem to me.....

Offline mia389

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
My PC is going nuts
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2003, 11:19:57 AM »
So what should I do ? not good with these things

Offline Maniacal81st

• Zinc Member
My PC is going nuts
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2003, 12:24:51 PM »
What changes have been made since the last known "good performance." ??  I would start by uninstalling whatever the answer is.  Does it still occur??

If not, there is your problem.  If so, you have narrowed the search criteria and can move on to the next thing.  

When you say your screen goes black, do you mean that literally?  For how long? Does it come back?  Does your PC lock up?  What applications are running while you are having these problems?

If you are seeing the hour glass frequently, then something is eating up your system resources.  Have you done a Anti-Trojan/Worm scan??  If not, do one.  You can download a number of free programs from http://www.download.com if you don't have one already.  

Glad to help out if possible, do the things/answer these questions mentioned and post a follow up.  

Good luck.

Offline mia389

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
My PC is going nuts
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2003, 02:30:33 PM »
Ok seems the hour glass is only happening in here on the message board. My fs2002 problem I fixed, had something to do with a corrupt file. My screen is still going black though. I was flying fs2002 and its like blacking out in Aces High. It goes black but I cant still hear my game and everything seems to be fine I just lose my screen for 3 or 4 seconds then it comes back. I was serfing the internet and it did it. It just started doing this, this morning. It dont matter the process I have running seems to do it anyway. Ive have restarted pc couple of times but still doing it.

Offline gunahurl

• Zinc Member
My PC is going nuts
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2003, 03:10:30 PM »
It's just a suggestion, But have you checked the cable connections to your monitor and from your computer? maybe you have a bad pin, or loose cable.

Gunahurl  :)

Offline mia389

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
My PC is going nuts
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2003, 05:08:46 PM »
I feel like an idiot... Thats what it was. Looks like I had a lose cable back there. I was messin around back there just made sure they were all tight and hasnt hapend since, so Im guessing thats what it was.   <<<< DUHHH

now why didnt I think of that lol ,, Thanks guys for the help.

Offline gunahurl

• Zinc Member
My PC is going nuts
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2003, 07:41:07 PM »
Hey, I would'nt have known if I had'nt done it myself. :rolleyes: so don't feel to bad.  ;)  

Gunahurl  :)

Offline Maniacal81st

• Zinc Member
My PC is going nuts
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2003, 03:36:31 PM »
Amen!!!  We have all done it!  Glad the problem was minor!! See you up there!!!