Author Topic: A Few N00b Questions  (Read 491 times)

Offline Hauk62

• Zinc Member
A Few N00b Questions
« on: April 22, 2003, 08:36:29 AM »
I"m a WWIIOL player and thought I would try the two week free trial. Welp I been playing for 4 days now and I won't be going back to WWIIOL, I must say this game rocks.

I have done alot of reading but can't find what I'm looking for on a couple of questions.

1. I have a wingman joystick and have my throttle keyed to it. However not matter how I try to calibrate it I can't seem to get it right. My throttle goes from 0 to full in a hair when I hit my throttle. There is no way I can get say 40 or 50%. It's full or zero with just a touch. How can I set this up right ?

2. I was on a bomber mission the other day with alot of other bombers. I was staying right them most of the way untill we started to get attacked. I then switched to my gunners but when I did my bomber started to swing to the right or left. When I got back to my #1 my bomber was way off course. Then I couldn't catch up and was shot down cuz I was alone. I did have auto on while I was using my gunners. Why did my bomber do this while others were also shooting but stayed on course ?

Any help would be great, thx.

Hauk62

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
A Few N00b Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2003, 08:48:39 AM »
The Joystick question is pretty specific to your Wingman stick..and I don't use one.  Are you calibrating in Aces High Joystick set up or in Windows?

The gunner question is related to your rudder.  When in the gun positions you can turn your bomber(s) by using the rudder...which is the left and right twist action on your stick..it makes it harder for the fighters.  But, if you have a sensitive twisty stick you are probably using your rudder when you don't want to when you are adjusting aim.

To cure this go into the setup tab on your clipboard.  Go to the joystick tab and turn UP your rudders deadband a bit.  That will enable you to move the stick without moving the rudder.  It will probably help in flying the fighters too...use of rudder bleeds speed and if you are using rudder without intending to you are losing any energy advantage you might have.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline snocone

• Copper Member
A Few N00b Questions
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2003, 10:49:45 AM »
same kind of thing for the throttle, go to set up, select joystick, in the top left switch that little white box to throttle, then you can adjust it all ya want, hope this helps, glad you have made the switch to this game, stick with it cause it is by far the best thing goin

Offline Hauk62

• Zinc Member
A Few N00b Questions
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2003, 02:34:57 PM »
Thx for the help guys.............I went in to calibrate my joystick again and did something wrong I guess. It's looks simple to calibrate and I tried to fix my throttle, but for some reason my j/s goes nuts with just a touch, now auto takeoff won't work, it's starts with auto takeoff on but as soon as the plane moves it goes off.

I think it's cuz my joystick is making moves w/o me even touching it. I did calibrate it in windows and it works perfect there but when I try to calibrate it in game it just goes nuts, any ideas why this is ?

Hauk62

Offline rshubert

• Silver Member
Deadband
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2003, 02:38:05 PM »
Deadband will probably help, in this case.  increase the deadband.

Offline Hauk62

• Zinc Member
A Few N00b Questions
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2003, 03:23:27 PM »
I did play with the deadband, didn't help:confused:

I even dumped the game and re-installed but my joystick is doing the same thing. I also tried another joystick, same thing. I really like the game but atm I can't even take off so more or less I can't play now :(

I can't for the life of me see why my joystick goes nuts with any kind of touch. I tried everything with the deadband and the damper.....nothing seems to work.

Even when I'm not touching my joystick it seems to spike alot, I get the message " Don't move your controls so Rapidly" even tho I'm hardly touching it.

Welp I'm off to do some more reading to try to get my wingman set up again. I have been playing the last 4 days with only my throttle messing up....now that I tried to fixed that it seems everything on my joystick is now screwed.

Thx for the replies guys  :)

Hauk62

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
A Few N00b Questions
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2003, 03:59:35 PM »
One thing worth checking which I seem to remember caused similar problems to what you are describing in AW, is to make sure that "Poll with Interrupts" is unchecked in your Windows Settings.  You never know, could be something as simple as that.  ;)
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline Gloves

• Nickel Member
A Few N00b Questions
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2003, 04:58:18 PM »
Hauk62,

I've had this same problem with my Wingman Extreme of the joystick jumping all over the place when I try to calibrate.  What I did (and make sure you have a backup first) was to delete the joystick.cfg (at least I think that was it) file located in one of your Aces High folders.  This removes any calibrations you may have set, but at least the thing will work.  The throttle for me works fine at that point.

Hope it helps.

Glove

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
A Few N00b Questions
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2003, 07:13:24 PM »
Hauk62 make sure that when you calibrating your joystick in Windows, you press a button on your joystick to advance to the next calibration stage and that you're not clicking on Next.  If you click on Next to advance to the next calibration stage in Windows, the information isn't saved and you'll get a bad calibration.  After you've finished calibrating, make sure that you've clicked on 'Apply' to save the calibration information.

If you have a proper calibration in Windows, you shouldn't have to calibrate in AH since it takes it's information from DirectX but it doesn't hurt anything by doing it and you should get into the habit of calibrating in Windows and then in AH.

Another thing you might want to try is to reinstall your joystick driver and then reinstall whichever version of DirectX you have installed.  

Ack-Ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Hauk62

• Zinc Member
A Few N00b Questions
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2003, 10:05:11 PM »
Someone in training told me to goto my my HTC/aceshigh/setting file and delete my stick.cfg the same thing Glove is saying. I did that and now it works perfect along with my throttle:)

Thanks very much guys for the replies  

Hauk62