Author Topic: Bombing Question  (Read 426 times)

Offline darbar

• Zinc Member
Bombing Question
« on: April 18, 2003, 03:20:49 PM »
I have the calibration down with no problems.. however, sometimes my target angle is off... my bomber is not on the proper line I want it to be on. I'm in F6 looking through my bombsite... how can I adjust my bombers direction while in the bombsite mode?
I tried turning my joystick, this seemed to only turn the site. Or was I mistaken?

Thanks!!

Offline xHaMmeRx

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.netaces.org
Bombing Question
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2003, 08:28:33 PM »
darbar,

As long as you are not in calibration mode, your ailerons will turn your plane.  Be careful about making adjustments close to the target because turning will change your speed, which of course throws your calibration off.

Use the "8" key on the keypad to look up from the bomb-sight while still some distance out.  You can get a pretty good line well before the target is visible in your sight.  I discuss lining up your bomb run as part of the bombing tutorial at my web site.

Hammer
netAces.org - Info, Tactics, and More!

Offline BadRad1

• Zinc Member
Bombing Question
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2003, 11:07:14 PM »
Ya darbar, it sounds like you are still in calibration mode. You have to press the "u" key one more time to exit cal mode and you are back to flying the plane as a bombadier. as soon as you exit the cal mode, all the writting in the top left corner should turn green to show that you are calibrated and flying again.:)

Offline BigMax

• Gold Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
Bombing Question
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2003, 12:46:12 AM »
darbar...

Assuming you are out of calibration mode, use your rudder (twist your stick or use your foot-pedals).  That's all there is to it...

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Bombing Question
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2003, 09:28:13 AM »
Easier to line up your bomber in external mode Before calibrating in my opinion.

Either F3 or F4 as you approach the target will let you get close enough that minor changes are all thats needed to drop on target.

Offline snocone

• Copper Member
Bombing Question
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2003, 12:01:23 PM »
once you have finished calibrating and all the text in your bombsite is green you can steer the plane in the bomb site. just push your stick left and right. this is like real bombers, where once the bombers were on thier bomb run the bombadier had control of the aircrafts rudders. hope this helps

Offline singh7

• Zinc Member
Bombing Question
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2003, 03:12:26 PM »
DarBar,

This is my sequence of actions and Hints when flying bombers. Maybe it will help you

1. First when I am in auto climb  I switch to the guns (press 2) then to external view (press F3) in that order. I then use the "[" or the "]" key to adjust how I view my formation. I can then use the joystick to swivel around my view to behind the formations. It is easy to make course changes here without loosing your drones if use use your rudder (either your pedals or the twisty joystick). Here is where I will make the major course corrections.

2. Now assuming that you are on a fairly accurate angle of approach to target, are level and have cut your trottle then I make adjustments like this. In lancs I switch to nose guns (press 2) or chin guns in B17s (press 5). I align the target sight (of these guns) to an approximate center of the view. How can I explain this?---- Push your joystick down so that you are looking down and align your target sight to the center of the bomber frame work that is visble just there. The point is, you want the target sight to be facing in the same direction as planes direction. Having done this then bring the target sight up so you can see the your bombing target. WHy do all this? --- Well you can use your zoom key (Z) and the "[" and "]" key to zoom in and out. This target sight has a much better zoom capability than in your bombsight. Now your can use your rudder (pedals or twisty joystick) to make course corrections. You should be able to get really close to your desired angle of approach like this. Now just wait a short while for your speed to be constant then on to 3.

3. LAst but not least, having done the above. I calibrate (with bomb doors open). Set alt from map. Zoom in to the ground and calibrate -- press Y for more than 3 sec, while keeping the crosshairs on a point (I like to keep Y depressed for 10 sec). Press U to end calibration. Then you can press 8 to confirm your direction and use your joystick to make minor corrections. Of course you can use your joystick to make minor adjustments in your bomsight.

4. Last hint - promise - I set my salvo to 1 and discharge my bombs individually. I always start  before the cross hairs reach the target and stop after passing the target by bit.

Remember - after you have calibrated, if you had to make a lot of course corrections. Then wait a bit for the speed to become constant again and the RECALIBRATE.

Long response HUH........  Hope this serves you well.... Learnt a lot of it from Witchz and Killamic... two squadies of mine.

Acetnt

Offline darbar

• Zinc Member
Bombing Question
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2003, 03:24:16 PM »
You guys are all that!! Thanks for all of the help .. I used your advise this am, and worked to perfection!!
Thanks again!!
Darbar

Offline acetnt

• Zinc Member
Bombing Question
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2003, 12:53:38 PM »
pleasure to help