Author Topic: Great books butchered by Hollywood  (Read 1302 times)

Offline Arfann

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Great books butchered by Hollywood
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2003, 01:32:02 PM »
Originally posted by eskimo2
Earnest goes to Jail!  (and the entire Earnest series)
The novel was an all time classic.  Had it not been for the movie industry I'm sure the Earnest series would have been studied in college classes a hundred years from now, perhaps even more so than Shakespere.  Ever since Hollywood got ahold of it, however, it will only be remembered as a film series.  Sigh, very few people will ever know the true genius of the written work about Earnest.

eskimo

Frankly, I don't think you're Earnest.

Verne

Offline deSelys

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2003, 06:50:04 PM »
The Beach....If you disliked the movie, go get this excellent book. The end (among other things) is completely different.

Starship Troopers (the movie) was a joke. But I liked David Lynch's Dune....I admit I'm a big time Lynch's fan, so my opinion may be biased ;) .

Battlefields Earth? Never saw the movie, but I've read this awfully dumb book. You can already detect L. Ron Hubbard's unpleasant ideas upon which is founded Scientology...

With the exception of 'The Hunt for Red October', all the movies from Clancy's books were very disappointing.
Current ID: Romanov

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

'I AM DID NOTHING WRONG' - Famous last forum words by legoman

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2003, 07:35:38 PM »
It is hard to fathom why some of the story changes in the Two Towers are there.

Fans of Starship troopers. Have you ever read the book "Armor"?

As to the CG in the movie startship troopers. If you cant CG something that looks like one of those articulated deep diving suites what can you CG?

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2003, 09:12:47 PM »
Originally posted by Tuomio
All of the Stephen King based movies except Dreamcatcher which ive never read and The Shining, which i never saw (miracle in itself!). I however saw the Matt Groenings version and it was good..;)

Also Dune comes in to my mind, but there were two quite sexy actresses present (cant remember their names) so i forgive it. The black tight desertsuits looked good on them!

Francesca Annis:

Sean Young:

Virginia Madsen:
sand