Author Topic: Plane choice. Why?  (Read 4204 times)

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
Plane choice. Why?
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2003, 06:09:53 PM »
I love flying 109s - it's good for the ego.

When I shoot down something I could go brag "hey, I don't use dweeb rides!".. and when I get shot down I can alsways say "Humph, at least I wasn't in a dweeb ride!" :D

Seriously though, I like its fighting style.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Plane choice. Why?
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2003, 06:12:13 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
so basicly... pick a really fast late plane or you will not be competitive..   There are about five viable choices.   It is best to decide which one you have allways loved as a small child and stick to that story.   Everyone will still believe you are flying for the obvious advantage but who knows?  You may fool someone sometime.

lazs
Public Relations Officer for the BK's

You're starting to sound like a skipping record.

Ack-Ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline MRPLUTO

• Nickel Member
Plane choice. Why?
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2003, 06:24:13 PM »
Favorite fighters:

La-5   Fast & manuverable it packs a real punch with twin 20mms in the nose.  Two hundred rounds per gun is quite generous.  Drop tanks are not available so the range is short.  In addition, with only a single, main fuel tank it's best used close to a friendly base if you're into landing missions.  Could be a little sturdier, but at least it has a radial engine (which is more durable than an in-line engine).

P-47D-11   Fast, sturdy, and surprisingly manuverable.  I always take 100% fuel and the DT; I use the DT to climb as high as possible.  Stay fast and high if you want to rtb.  Take the 8 x 50 cal. option, with the lower option for amount of ammo (267 rounds per gun?).

Because these planes are seen less often than others, many pilots don't know their capabilities and are unpleasantly surprised.

Lately I've been doing a lot of hi-alt buff intercept missions in the   Bf-109G-10 with the 30mm cannon.  I use its speed and climbing ability to pull way ahead, then attack from 12 o'clock high, firing from very close range a few well-placed cannon shells.

I fly just about everything sometime, because variety is the spice of life.

Favorite Bomber:

Ki-67  "Hiryu" or "Peggy"   At 20K this bomber flies at 334 mph true airspeed.  And that's at manifold pressure 45 (about 95% power)!!  If you fly fast you will be almost impossible to attack from any position other than your six.  The rear guns (twin 12.9 mm = 50 cal.) don't have much ammo, so you must wait for the right moment and   fire a short burst, aim again, fire a short burst until you get him.  Don't fire unless you've got a good shot.  The "right moment" is often when a fighter has pulled above you after zooming up from below and is floating there momentarily.  The 20mm in the rear-facing top turret usually does the trick quickly, but aim from the rear gun position if possible: the view is better.

Remember, speed is your best defense, so make very gentle turns.  Just fly like grandma was on board.

Because the front gun is a single 12.9 mm, and the top turret is rear-firing only, if anyone ever does attack from in front, the best defense is to manuver violently and don't even worry about firing.  

Drawbacks:  the Ki-67 is not particularly rugged and its bombload is less than a P-47's.  I always take the 8 x 100 kg (220 lb) bomb load and hit two strategic targets with half my load on each.  I'm an accurate bombardier, so the damage is considerable.

Favorite ground attack aircraft:

Mossie  With a couple of 500 pound bombs in the bombay, rockets on the wings, and the maximum cannon load set to converge at 650 yards, a single Mossie can destroy an entire field town by itself.  Fast and sturdy, it can take on fighters after dropping ordnance, as long as you don't try going vertical.  Stay level and fast.

MRPLUTO VMF-323 ~Death Rattlers~ MAG-33

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Plane choice. Why?
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2003, 06:45:50 PM »
Tour 39 fighters in order of kills obtained:

CHog
Typhoon
Dora
P-47D-30
F4U-4
IL-2
P-51D
La-7
Bf 109G-10
190A-5
SBD
Yak-9U
Tempest

Tour 38:

CHog
Typhoon
P-51D
Tempest
Ki-61
F6F
P-51B
N1K2
FM-2
F4U-4
IL-2
F4U-1D
Yak-9U
Me 163

Tour 37:

Typhoon
P-47D-30
P-47D-11
Tempest
F6F
N1K2
FM-2
Seafire
IL-2
Yak-9U
SpitIX
A6M5
F4U-4
P-51B
Ta 152
CHog
190A-5
SpitXIV
Me 163

I usually like diversity, although I have been flying fast, cannon armed fighters more the past two tours. Largely due to squad ops where speed and ordnance is an important factor, and to the fact that fast fighter match-ups have been the designated squad birds the past two months, with the Jug and Corsair preselected for tour 40.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline RightF00T

• Silver Member
Plane choice. Why?
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2003, 06:58:38 PM »
P47 -  Well, I saw a film when I was still in H2H of Drex and I believe AKNimitz fighting on the Uterus map.  I figured I could do the same thing if I worked at it.  I slowly figured out how to be succesfull and its the one baby I keep coming back to.  I may have brief stints in other planes but those 8 .50cals and instant overshoot always lights my fire. :sniff::)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Plane choice. Why?
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2003, 07:13:14 PM »
Mosquito:  Because its fun

Il-2:  Because its fun

Spitfire:  Not anymore because it ain't fun to be whined at constantly, but the plane is fun to fly
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
Plane choice. Why?
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2003, 09:08:46 PM »
I enjoy flying the 1-D, Spit V, Seafire and Yak. Spend my time bouncing amongst all four, this tour working on the F6F.

I die in a 51.

I fly two E fighters and two turners. What blows me a way, is my k/d in all of them are pretty much the same, my gunnery is the same, everything is the same..

Cannons or 50's... E fighter or turner, all stats are essentially the same.

Wha.....?
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline udet

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
      • http://www.angelfire.com/nd/mihaipruna/dogfight.html
Plane choice. Why?
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2003, 09:35:06 PM »
Spit V for base defense
Spit IX for dweeby incursions on enemy bases
190 A8 to get killed in a lot
Tiffie for speed dashes over enemy fields
P47 D30 for Jabo
109 G10-used to fly it a lot, on a break from 109s now
190 D9-it's all hype,I haven't flown it in quite a while

Oh, and for GVs, just Ostwind. I don't care much about tanks or boats, but with the Ostwind at least I can get some aircraft kills :)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2003, 09:42:22 PM by udet »

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
Plane choice. Why?
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2003, 09:43:12 PM »
Urchin, I've never met a Nikki I couldn't out-turn in the F4, and no Spit has ever caught up with me unless he had more alt. I can turn with spits too as long as the IAS is above 190-200 mph.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline rod367th

• Silver Member
Plane choice. Why?
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2003, 11:32:14 PM »
A20 for killing GVs, 109g10 and 190a5 for fighter, from cv, deacked base a6m5 or hvy f6f to hit strats at base.

for bombing almost always in b17.  at 30k plus only 1 man has shot down all my bombers and lived.

On probation for Surgery post, :)

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
Plane choice. Why?
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2003, 11:33:30 PM »
Who was that?
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
Plane choice. Why?
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2003, 12:15:59 AM »
P-40E - Because its the most beautiful plane in the arena.

MiniD

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
Plane choice. Why?
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2003, 12:42:01 AM »
Originally posted by Mini D
P-40E - Because its the most beautiful plane in the arena.

MiniD

That explains your avatar! :D

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
Plane choice. Why?
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2003, 01:04:16 AM »
-109G-2, historical reasons and national markings :)
-109G-10, performance and guns in buff hunt.
-Typhoon or F4U-1D  for jabo... I suppose I SHOULD get used to FW:s and Bf110:s instead :)
-Spits, sometimes for base defence.
-FM2, for pretending to flying a Brewster B-239 :)

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline mjolnir

• Nickel Member
Plane choice. Why?
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2003, 03:05:59 AM »
My primary ride has ended up being the Seafire.  It's not as fast as a 9, but turns better.  It's still a little faster than the 5, I think.  And they didn't bother trying to put bombs on it because that's just not what a spitfire was built to do.  It's simple, it's unassuming, and for some reason it just feels like it handles better for me than the other spit models.

I'm also a fan of the jug-30 for jabo ops.  The tiffie runs out of ammo too quickly for my tastes, and doesn't carry as much ord to begin with anyway.  I'm not that great at fighting in it, but it's one hell of a vulcher. :)  

I used to use the B-17 a lot more, before the new bombsight/formations/changed damage model.  Now bombing just doesn't seem as fun as it used to.  I guess part of that is because anytime you're up in a bomber, you're a giant target for all the rest of the arena to shoot at, because there just aren't many bombers left anywhere.

I've tried most of the other planes at one point or another, but I just can't bring myself to like most of the axis rides.  The cage cockpits bother me.  Bubble canopies were probably the best thing to happen to fighter aircraft before jet engines.