Author Topic: Day of Defeat version 1.0 just released  (Read 1129 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Day of Defeat version 1.0 just released
« on: May 02, 2003, 12:31:46 AM »
For those of you that play Day of Defeat, they've just released the mod version and it's now available for download.

Day of Defeat

If you don't want to download it, you can wait until Monday when Activision/Valve releases the stand alone retail version.  The only difference between the retain and the mod version is the VGUI.  The new VGUI is in the retail version and those that download the mod have to wait until the upcoming Half-Life patch to get the VGUI.

For those of you that don't know what Day of Defeat is, it's a WWII squad-based first person shooter.  The latest version of DoD features entirely new re-worked art and sound and a new particle system and weapons.  In addition, they've also added British soldier models, so you can now play on certain maps British vs. German.  Even though it's based on the aged Half-Life engine and it's starting to show its age, it is still probably the best WWII squad-based shooter out and is extremely addictive and fun.

For those of you that play, look for me as I go under the name SirCampalot.

Ack-Ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2003, 12:37:42 AM »
It's easily the best squad based shooter - even better than MOHAA, BF1942 (for infantry) etc.

I just wish it had a better engine.

Have some fond memories of some of the older maps.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Erlkonig

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2003, 01:09:01 AM »
I've already heard complaints of gameplay noobification - download's almost done so I'll go see for myself...

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2003, 01:39:20 AM »
Originally posted by Dowding
It's easily the best squad based shooter - even better than MOHAA, BF1942 (for infantry) etc.

*cough*  OFP  *cough*

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2003, 01:47:29 AM »
Does OFP allow you to go inside buildings or enter tunnels etc?
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Erlkonig

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2003, 01:53:07 AM »
I'm not impressed with it.  They added stuff that didn't need adding, and changed stuff that didn't need changing.  There's now a minimap that displays the locations of your teammates.  If that isn't enough to solve your IFF problems, there are also fruity little icons that hover over your teammates.  Shooting any gun now bathes you in a sickly yellowish glow (from others' POV) as if you had just been flashed by a spotlight, no matter the lighting conditions.  There are new sounds as well, for whatever reason - I thought they were quite fine beforehand.  On the upside, they updated player models and weapons.

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2003, 02:07:10 AM »
Does OFP allow you to go inside buildings or enter tunnels etc?

Yes.  

Does DoD have high rises that you can climb up the lift shaft and out onto the roof?

And if you havn't seen the forests I strongly suggest you check it out, the forests in OFP are just superb.  And the map sizes of DoD just pale in comparison to the 12 mile x 12 mile islands of OFP.......

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2003, 02:15:35 AM »
OFP has the best outdoor terrain and handles trees better than any other game I've seen.  Its buildings are a bit blocky and really are more asthetic than anything.  The tree lines is where the action is on this one.  Also... sandbags and walls are also very well done.  It does also have the best maps too.  They are simply huge.

MOHAA does not really compare.  Not even close to OFP.  Its a good game, but they aren't even in the same league.

I have a tendancy to give the nod to Ghost Recon for overall squad shooter.  Its good for indoors and outdoors.  It doesn't have many trees, but it does cliffs, caves, tunnels and buildings quite well.  And combines all of them on most maps.

Been playing alot of Raven Shield lately too.  The AI is one of the smarter I've seen.  It will hide and flank you and isn't nearly as predictable as most I've seen.  Though, they seem to have slowed the AIs reaction time just a bit.  I somewhat think that was a move for the better.  They also handle magazine changes and various aspects of stealth really well.  Its main downfall is it is indoor based almost entirely.  Small, but complex maps.  Its really good for deathmatch type rounds... and killing FDBs.

MiniD

Offline akak

• Silver Member
      • http://www.479thraiders.com
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2003, 02:18:57 AM »
Originally posted by Erlkonig
I'm not impressed with it.  They added stuff that didn't need adding, and changed stuff that didn't need changing.  There's now a minimap that displays the locations of your teammates.  If that isn't enough to solve your IFF problems, there are also fruity little icons that hover over your teammates.  Shooting any gun now bathes you in a sickly yellowish glow (from others' POV) as if you had just been flashed by a spotlight, no matter the lighting conditions.  There are new sounds as well, for whatever reason - I thought they were quite fine beforehand.  On the upside, they updated player models and weapons.

The mini-map is pretty cool and you can turn it on/off if you like.  The little icons above the head are kind of annoying but again, you can also disable those.  The sounds are a little more subdued and I think once v.1 has been out, the DoD community will make come out with sound packs like they did with previous versions.  The muzzle flash effects can be toned down a little bit but I really didn't notice that much of a problem with it giving away your position if your concealed.  I like how the BAR now has a bipod you can deploy and it really makes that weapon for more effective than in previous versions.  Undeployed MG fire is also a little more accurate than before, you no longer spray all over the map when firing an MG undeployed but it's still not effective unless deployed, nice balance they achieved there.

All in all, I think they did a great job.

Ack-Ack

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2003, 02:19:31 AM »
I've heard that OFP doesn't model urban fighting very well at all and that it is more of an open battlefield sort of game.

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2003, 02:21:22 AM »
I havnt tried Ghost Recon or Raven Shield, I dislike indoor FPSs to the extreme.

You've got OFP:R right Deja?  The navigation of buildings is slightly better.....ie they've stopped people running out of windows by accident now and generally improved the models (Nogova is def the best island).

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2003, 02:21:36 AM »
Re: DoD - sounds interesting.

Have they added the Brits yet?

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2003, 02:24:17 AM »
I've heard that OFP doesn't model urban fighting very well at all and that it is more of an open battlefield sort of game.

Nah, urban warfare is great in OFP, especially considering the huge area's *outside* the urban bit.   The official maps contain quite small towns though, along the lines of.....lessee.....Longborough .  Some of the unofficial addon maps contain absolutely huge towns..... "Phaedon's island" for example.  Damn I'll find ya link to a screeny if I can......

« Last Edit: May 02, 2003, 02:26:18 AM by Swoop »

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2003, 02:32:18 AM »
Yes.. I have Resistance.  OFP is great on a larger outdoor scale.  But it isn't all that good inside.  Sorry, but that's just the way I feel about it.

Raven Shield and Rogue Spear are the exact opposite.  They are excellent indoors, but don't handle the outside very well.

Ghost Recon just seems to be the best mesh between the two.

MiniD

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2003, 02:50:48 AM »
How do those compare with Vietcong? I just bought the box, and it's really the only FPS type game I've done online. I'm having a total blast in it (a bit suprised by that, actually)... but it sounds like I should maybe give OFP and/or DoD a shot.

Deja, Dowding, Swoop Ack-Ack,... have you guys tried the retail version of Vietcong? If so, how does it compare?

Also... any word on the progress of the Vietnam OFP mod?