Author Topic: Some of My Planes  (Read 1624 times)

Offline kurupi

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.esquadrao-pacau.com
Some of My Planes
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2003, 07:39:41 PM »
Originally posted by AKWeav
Nice, those arn't the testors kits are they?

Nop, They're Academy 1:72 kits. The decals are from FCM Decals.

Nice kits your have too ;)

Offline AKWeav

• Nickel Member
Some of My Planes
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2003, 08:58:40 PM »
Nop, They're Academy 1:72 kits.
:eek:

My old eyes can't work that small:D

Offline Swag Abroad

• Zinc Member
Some of My Planes
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2003, 01:58:50 AM »
Ya know Weav, people who can construct models like this make me sick!!  :)  J/K

Nicely done!  I wish I had the skill and patiences to do something like that.  My models are OK but not of such high quality.  I never learned the "tricks"

Post some more for they are nice to look at!!

:)

Offline AKWeav

• Nickel Member
Some of My Planes
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2003, 05:51:41 AM »
My models are OK but not of such high quality. I never learned the "tricks"

Then there are guys that make mine look sick. If you get the chance, visit some displays (contests at local hobby stores) and talk to some of the builders of stuff you like. They love talking about how they work their magic.:)

Offline WizOfClay

• Zinc Member
Some of My Planes
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2003, 08:17:38 PM »
Wow, those are some nice looking models :eek:

The weathering jobs make them look real...

Where did you learn to do those?

Offline Kubwak

• Copper Member
Some of My Planes
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2003, 03:20:28 AM »
where is the ammo counter in that zeke cockpit??:rolleyes:

Offline AKWeav

• Nickel Member
Some of My Planes
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2003, 07:43:42 AM »
Where did you learn to do those?

See my post above yours. Other modelers are the best resources for tips on tricks of the trade. :D
where is the ammo counter in that zeke cockpit??

I think the crafty little buggers had to mentaly count the rounds as they squeezed them off. We're pretty lucky to have digital counters in AH. ;)

Hey all you other modelers out there, post some pics of your stuff! :cool:

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
Some of My Planes
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2003, 11:37:37 AM »
he was joking if you couldent tell by the :rolleyes:

Offline AKWeav

• Nickel Member
Some of My Planes
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2003, 05:51:50 AM »
Silly me:eek:   missed that one.

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
Some of My Planes
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2003, 10:02:22 AM »
dang! they keep getting better and better!! :eek:
I've just got me an airbrush and haven't used it yet, any tips to make my planes as good as above?

Offline AKWeav

• Nickel Member
Some of My Planes
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2003, 06:37:20 AM »
Still learning meself, but air pressure and paint thinning are two major hurdles to learn.

For general overall painting of large surfaces I use 20-25 psi. with the tip 6-8 inches from the surface I'm painting.

For camo borders I knock that down to 8-10 psi, and move the tip to about 1/2 inch from the model. My airbrush also has a variable needle adjustment incorperated into the trigger so when doing fine spraying (up close) I don't want a bunch of paint coming out with the air mixture. Expiriment on scrape parts.

Paint thinning is vital. Pre mixed airbrush paints are available in some colors (mostly metalizers), I try to achieve the consistancy of milk when thinning. Use a good thinner specificly for airbrushes for thinning your paints. I use cheaper thinner for the cleaning of the airbrush.

Air source is important. Canned air is expensive, and not much good for large areas as they tend to freeze up with extended use. A compressor is nice but if bucks are a consideration, I heard of people that use a tire innertube, with a small inline regulator.

Hope this helps some.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Some of My Planes
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2003, 12:50:41 PM »
Model building is magical...

You're an artist Weav... no question.

You have my envy. :)
sand

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
Some of My Planes
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2003, 11:09:14 AM »
Originally posted by AKWeav
Still learning meself, but air pressure and paint thinning are two major hurdles to learn.

For general overall painting of large surfaces I use 20-25 psi. with the tip 6-8 inches from the surface I'm painting.

For camo borders I knock that down to 8-10 psi, and move the tip to about 1/2 inch from the model. My airbrush also has a variable needle adjustment incorperated into the trigger so when doing fine spraying (up close) I don't want a bunch of paint coming out with the air mixture. Expiriment on scrape parts.

Paint thinning is vital. Pre mixed airbrush paints are available in some colors (mostly metalizers), I try to achieve the consistancy of milk when thinning. Use a good thinner specificly for airbrushes for thinning your paints. I use cheaper thinner for the cleaning of the airbrush.

Air source is important. Canned air is expensive, and not much good for large areas as they tend to freeze up with extended use. A compressor is nice but if bucks are a consideration, I heard of people that use a tire innertube, with a small inline regulator.

Hope this helps some.

well, most things I found out after my first try, but I can't seem to set the airpresure....or is it just me???
tnx AKWeav

Offline AKWeav

• Nickel Member
Some of My Planes
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2003, 12:50:00 AM »
Are you using a simple inline, or do you have a pressure guage. If it's an inline without a guage, try blowing it on your cheek (without paint of course) and set it so it's very light.:D

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
Some of My Planes
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2003, 10:10:00 AM »
you could be told me earlier not to use paint....:D
but then, how do I set it?? the switch of the airflow is turnable, could that be it?