Author Topic: Affirmative Action  (Read 637 times)

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Affirmative Action
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2003, 06:46:33 PM »
AA is tough to deal with on a personal level, and what happened to you really sucks Puke. Of course there will be isolated instances of seemingly unfair issues.

Powell defends affirmative action in college admissions

Colin Powell: 'I wish it was possible for everything to be race-neutral in this country.'

Offline Airhead

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ouchytheclown.com
Affirmative Action
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2003, 07:23:27 PM »
I too am a victim of affermative action. I really wanted a basketball scholarship out of High School but most of the scholarships went to African Americans. They covered up this reverse racism by claiming it was because I was 5'3, weighed 265 pounds and couldn't run, shoot or dribble, but I know that was just an excuse to deny me my rights.

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
      • http://bellsouthpwp.net/w/o/wotans/4JG53/
Affirmative Action
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2003, 09:38:57 PM »
Powell wont ever win a rep nomination. Hes not a conservative. He was a driving force behind stopping gulf 1 short of its goals. They could have cut off the remaining retreating Iraqi forces. They were allowed to withdraw and then take position with their equipment to put down the shia uprising.

Powell was the driving force behind going through the UN this time. The prolonged fight in the UNSC should have been avoided and the US should of went into Iraq earlier (Feb or so). The hand wringing in the UN gave Hussein time to win a propaganda victory. As shown by what the US ultimately did the UN was irrelevant.

Powell is indeed an affirmative action supporter. When there was talk of Powell running for president the first time his "supporters" claimed that his position on AA was more inline with his wifes view. When he and his wife did the United Negro College Fund commercials they only referred to it as "The Fund".

Besides being a proponent of "containment" and a supporter of AA theres little else you can see to make a judgement on what type of "politician" he is. He certainly isnt a "conservative". He maybe one of those "middle of the road republicans" but that wont get him elected or even nominated. As an independent or democrat he is seen more like an "Uncle Tom" type by the current so called "black leadership" .

The lily white "middle class" types may view him as a "non-threatening" black man and he may have some support here but he still cant win.

If Bush Jr had a sack he would fire Powell and put some in the State Dept that holds the same consistant view as the rest of the administration.

Offline SaburoS

• Gold Member
Affirmative Action
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2003, 01:53:19 AM »
Originally posted by funkedup
Hey you might want to change the title of the thread MT.  Remember the "Reparations" thread?  I think SaburoS will be here in a minute to start calling everybody racist klansmen.  :)

LOL misrepresenting the facts again.
I never called anyone, let alone "everybody a racist klansmen" in that thread. I didn't even infer it. I actually stated that I doubted anyone here actually being a part of the KKK or any other fanatic racist group (IIRC).

Don't let the facts get in your way.

BTW, if one makes racist comments don't be surprised they get labeled as racist.
If one makes conservative statements they might be labeled conservative.
If one makes liberal statements they might be labeled liberal.

A racist doesn't have to actually engage in extreme fanatacism like participating in hate crimes (lynching, burning crosses in neighbor's yard, etc.) in order to be a racist.
Much like a liberal doesn't have to actually be a politician promoting a liberal agenda to be a liberal.
Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth -- more than ruin -- more even than death.... Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. ... Bertrand Russell

Offline 10Bears

• Silver Member
Affirmative Action
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2003, 02:19:14 AM »
Tom Delay is also a poor victim of Affirmative Action. He wanted to serve in the Viet Nam war real bad... When he got down to the recruiting office, they told him all the darkies had taken all the slots!!..