Author Topic: Man Slices Own Head Off in Supermarket Suicide  (Read 512 times)

Offline hawk220

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Man Slices Own Head Off in Supermarket Suicide
« on: May 07, 2003, 09:11:04 AM »
you gotta give this guy points for style!

May 7, 9:16 am ET

JOHANNESBURG, South Africa (Reuters) - A South African man died trying to cut his own head off with a butcher's band saw in a major supermarket, police said on Wednesday.
Superintendent Jay Naicker said the Shoprite Checkers store in Richards Bay had been ready to close on Monday when the man wandered in and headed for the meat department. "He just walked in, went to the band saw machine and switched it on," Naicker told Reuters. "Apparently he knew what he was doing. He put his neck to the blade and it cut about half way through before he fell to the floor."

Naicker said the man, later identified as 31-year-old Emmanuel Gumbi, was pronounced dead at the scene.

He said police had turned up no motive for the suicide, which stunned staff and shoppers at the store in northern Kwazulu-Natal province.

Offline Syzygyone

• Silver Member
Damn!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2003, 09:12:06 AM »
I hate when that happens!

Offline Dingbat

• Silver Member
      • http://mysite.verizon.net/res0v1l1
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2003, 09:12:08 AM »
Special

Ground Beef = .29$  a pound

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2003, 09:20:04 AM »
Steal the thunder from my post will ya :mad:

LOLOLOLOL :D
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline hawk220

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2003, 09:22:24 AM »
lol sorry JBman:p

didnt check the other posts!

Offline Puke

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
      • http://members.cox.net/barking.pig/puke.htm
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2003, 01:17:12 PM »
Anyone hear about some hiker whose arm was pinned under a big boulder for several days?  And then he finally had to break the arm (cause a pocket knife won't cut through bone) and then cut his arm off to free himself.  I only heard it on the radio, nothing in print.

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2003, 01:27:07 PM »
he lives here.. here's a link:

ok.. well there WAS a link.. can't find the story now.
but yeah. after 5 days he cut if off, repelled 60' and began walking out

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2003, 01:53:14 PM »
The saddest thing about it is that he died TRYING to cut his head off.  Why would he commit suicide?  Was it because he was a failure in life?  If so, kinda fitting that he couldn't even do his death right....

I remember reading somewhere about someone committing suicide by tying a rope around his neck, tying the other end around a tree, then getting into his car and accelerating away from the tree as fast as he could.  Now THAT'S showmanship.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2003, 01:56:49 PM »
Originally posted by Chairboy
I remember reading somewhere about someone committing suicide by tying a rope around his neck, tying the other end around a tree, then getting into his car and accelerating away from the tree as fast as he could.  Now THAT'S showmanship.
the photo lab i was QC at for 4 years developed the crime scene pics for that. it was a pickup truck. he had a bunch of his GF's teddybears lined up next to him on the seat. :(

the bad part was we took like 20 min trying to figure out what happened... all we saw @ first was a headless corpse in the driver seat of a truck. :(
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline SunKing

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2003, 04:56:14 PM »
And you thought the hiker who cut his arm off had grapefruits.

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2003, 06:51:58 PM »
The opposite, the hiker that cut off his arm made the harder choice.  He chose life, even with a new disability.  Also, he had to deal with the pain of cutting, the pain he'll experience until getting to the hospital, and the lifelong effects of that one decision.

Anyone who commits suicide is essentially a coward.  Unless you're a terminal cancer or some Spetznaz or Special Forces guy about to risk betraying your teammates or something, suicide is the easy way out and for chickens.

The guy who killed himself that way is the most chicken of them all, he chose a method where he had almost no risk of failure, didn't need to work up to courage to pull a trigger, and was probably quick and maybe painless.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis