Author Topic: Here's something you Yanks should understand  (Read 4015 times)

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
Here's something you Yanks should understand
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2003, 05:04:05 AM »
Originally posted by Swoop
Say Nuke, 1 more thing.

If you're gonna argue grammar then I'd highly recommend making sure that the grammar you're about to correct is in fact incorrect.  My Grammar was not incorrect cos I'm an educated Briton and you.......well you can't spell our.

how do you know I can't spell "our"

I used the word "are" out of context as far as you ( or Dowding) know.

p.s. Dowding, I could indeed argue that my grammer was attacked.

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2003, 05:07:23 AM »
Lame, lame, lame. He didn't say the UK built the Concorde alone at all. He was talking about the thinking behind it, and how similar it is to many American projects. He didn't tie in any arguments about sole ownership of the Concorde concept at all.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2003, 05:08:48 AM »
Originally posted by Dowding
Lame, lame, lame. He didn't say the UK built the Concorde alone at all. He was talking about the thinking behind it, and how similar it is to many American projects. He didn't tie in any arguments about sole ownership of the Concorde concept at all.

If johnny-foreigner thinks he can do better then he's welcome to go ahead and try......."

so what did he mean by this?

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2003, 05:49:30 AM »
I mean I'm proud of my country's achievements.  Aren't you proud of yours?  My point exactly.

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2003, 06:01:57 AM »
I mean I'm proud of my country's achievements.  Aren't you proud of yours?  My point exactly.

I didn't realise that you guys could dance so well.

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2003, 06:36:22 AM »
A huge regret of mine is that I didn't get a chance to have a ride on one of those beautiful machines.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
Re: Here's something you Yanks should understand
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2003, 06:42:29 AM »
Sometimes you just gotta say....

"Hang the expense, we're doing it anyway.  

Dont give a crap that it only give's 6 mpg ..., we dont give a crap.

And we're gonna be proud of it too, not only cos it's the best but because we built it.  

And anyone who wants to slag it off cos it won't make any money can go screw themselves, we dont care .....  If johnny-foreigner thinks he can do better then he's welcome to go ahead and try......."

Now think about it for a second and ask yourself if you havn't thought the same way about something wholly American.

I assume this is still Concord related...

your ascertation is absolutely correct, many decisions are made with a hang the cost mentality. (anybody get a plasma screen TV?)

However, when another decision is made to cancel the development, purchase, et al, because of cost, environmental, and political factors, does that make this decision bad?

Fact remains that with subsidies Concorde still cost, what, $10k per round trip, London/Paris to New York? And cannot (or according to BA, can barely) break even?  Kinda like Amtrak US train service, which is on the verge of possibly being cancelled.

Concorde is an outstanding engineering success, but your investment money does better in T-bills.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2003, 07:46:18 AM »
I think what this boils down to is that the yanks are jealous.:D
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2003, 07:50:10 AM »
heard they had to install the tele on the concorde on the ceiling, so the "average" passenger could enjoy it without lower their nose....
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2003, 07:53:55 AM »
Jealous of what? From what I heard, the French / British won't have a(n) SST after November anyway...

(Hope Virgin gets it and flys it)
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2003, 07:55:19 AM »
You forgot one thing...

"...and the taxpayers are going to pay for all of it."

At least the Tu-144 flew the common people.  The concord was payed for by the entire nation, but only flown by the wealthy elite.  Yeppers, there's a source of national pride for you.

Hell... if that's the fundamental criteria, we built the SR-71.  Sure it carried fewer passengers, but the average American had the same chance of getting a ride on one as the average Brit did on the concord.

Beautifull aircraft... huge waste of money.

But... fastest passenger jet!  You guys have that going for you.

Once again... look at any of the terminals at Heathrow.  

MiniD

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2003, 07:59:53 AM »
Listen to lefties in this thread. Makes you sick, the commie bastards. "It was so expensive, the poor common man couldn't afford it - why didn't they buy more buses or trains? Most people can afford them."

Usual left wing jealousy from Eagler and co. Keep waving that red flag!

bwahahahahahahaha
« Last Edit: May 12, 2003, 08:02:41 AM by Dowding »
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline ra

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2003, 08:08:08 AM »
UK and France are by far the most technologically advanced nations in the Moslem world.

Offline OIO

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2003, 08:24:38 AM »
""Hang the expense, we're doing it anyway.

Dont give a crap that it only give's 6 mpg / fires 10 times before needing a barrel change / gotta change the pistons every 50 miles / gotta rebuild the thing after every trip / wont make any money cos build costs are too high / dev costs too high / it's just plain stoopid.

And the reason we're doing it is cos it'll be the biggest, baddest and coolest thing around even if it wont make any money, we dont give a crap.

And we're gonna be proud of it too, not only cos it's the best but because we built it.

And anyone who wants to slag it off cos it won't make any money can go screw themselves, we dont care cos we've already GOT lots of money thanks. We did it cos it needed doing and because we could. If johnny-foreigner thinks he can do better then he's welcome to go ahead and try......."

Hey, that pretty much sums up the APOLLO program.

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2003, 08:34:52 AM »
Originally posted by Mini D
Hell... if that's the fundamental criteria, we built the SR-71.  Sure it carried fewer passengers, but the average American had the same chance of getting a ride on one as the average Brit did on the concord.MiniD

LOL.  Just a slight exaggeration there Mini D.  The SR-71 is a military aircraft, so all Americans NOT in the military are immediately disqualified as potential passengers.

I guess those German holiday makers who were killed on the French concord must have all been millionaires?
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain