Author Topic: development cycle viability  (Read 715 times)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
development cycle viability
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2003, 02:20:33 PM »
Slapshot,

I didn't mean to suggest in my post that HTC release his source code, or actually even copy other sims by the formation of player groups who could provide content.   IMO, AH is simply the best, and its tough to argue with its success.   HTC knows what their doing - anyone can see that just by looking at their success.

I'm just noting, for purposes of ViFF's development cycle theory, how other sims are trying to address the huge workload of getting all the features in a new sim out the door.     I'm not sure how Sick and Targetware are protecting themselves from reverse engineering; but since they are counting on income from user subscriptions I assume they've thought about it and have some protections in place.

Interesting thread going here...

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2003, 02:21:36 PM »
"Im looking forward to AH2 I think it will be alot alike AH1 but with better graphics, thats all Im expecting anyway"

Correct me if I am wrong ... but from what I have read ... all changes in AH: TOD will be realized in AH: Classic ... meaning AH: Classic will get the new graphics engine, the new modleing, etc ... the difference between the 2 will only be in how the game is played. AH: Classic will be what we now know as MA Arena and AH: TOD will be the auto-generated mission Arena.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline ramzey

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2003, 08:04:43 PM »
Originally posted by SlapShot

Correct me if I am wrong ... but from what I have read ... all changes in AH: TOD will be realized in AH: Classic ... meaning AH: Classic will get the new graphics engine, the new modleing, etc ... the difference between the 2 will only be in how the game is played. AH: Classic will be what we now know as MA Arena and AH: TOD will be the auto-generated mission Arena.

im main shape , yes
but i bet  HTC give us smth more

ramzey

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2003, 10:46:10 PM »
Working for a game company myself and involved in helping create these games from the alpha stage to the final release, what makes up the 'development cycle' differs from company to company and game to game.

Development cycles are usually shorter for single-player/multi-player games (i.e. MOH, BF1942, UT2003, etc...) than it is for MMOGs like Everquest, WW2OL, UO, etc.

Development cycles for these types of games usually continue through out its entire life cycle.  Most of the time, if a MMOG gets a new graphics engine or other substantial change, it will be considered just part of the original development cycle and not a new one for a new game.  Of course, some companies make the exception when they feel that the changes they are making will change the game drastically enough that it won't be seen as the same game but an entirely new game instead, as the case with AH2.  Some others see sequels as just part of the original development cycle, like SOE does with Everquest and their other online games.

And the costs?  Usually that depends on the companies themselves.  Some are willing to spend enough money to keep the game viable for years while others are just content enough to release patches once in awhile to fix some problems that crop up after the release date and then stop supporting it after a few months.

As for iEN's problem, that has less to do with their 'development cycle' than it a lack of a project manager/game designer that has weak managerial skills.  You can tell when the project manager/ game designer is over his/her head when you pointed out one of the problems with WB, one hand doesn't know what the other one is doing.

Ack-Ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song