Author Topic: How much more proof do we need that Iraq was a "Just War"?  (Read 1669 times)

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
How much more proof do we need that Iraq was a "Just War"?
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2003, 02:21:49 AM »
The reason for going to war was still to disarm Iraq from WMD´s...

Americas intelligence agencys will take an hit if they wont find any substantial amount of WMD´s...

Regards.
Warbirds handle : nr-1 //// -nr-1- //// Maniac

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2003, 07:21:40 AM »
Originally posted by Maniac
The reason for going to war was still to disarm Iraq from WMD´s...

Americas intelligence agencys will take an hit if they wont find any substantial amount of WMD´s...

Regards.

Yeah, thats why the war was called "Operation Iraqi Freedom" :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

WMD *was* a priority, and still is.  I still think they'll find them, so go ahead and get your "They planted them" theories prepared.

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2003, 07:53:17 AM »
Yeah, thats why the war was called "Operation Iraqi Freedom"

Dont even try to change the history, it really aint that long ago all this started, i may have bad short term memory but it aint that bad.......

EDIT : The reason stated to the rest of the world was "to disarm Iraq from WMD" the reason stated to the US citizens could have been different i dont know...
« Last Edit: May 15, 2003, 07:56:19 AM by Maniac »

Offline bounder

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.332viking.com
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2003, 08:04:30 AM »
A just war?

I don't think so.

By calling it a just war you are invoking an implicit absolute morality that you assume is shared by all others. Fortunately for the rest of the world this is not the case.

Now if you can define a suitable absolute morality that is acceptable to all and if you can point to evidence of the war being consistent with that moral code ,  then you might be on firmer ground. Of course the tough bit is defining a absolute moral code (what is its authority? What is its provenance, God? Jeanne Kirkpatrick? Howard Stern?) let alone an absolute moral code that is universally acceptable.

(note: most absolute and universal moral codes include pronouncements on the sanctity of human life)

Calling it a just war (or an unjust war) without defining your terms is merely indicating your approval (or otherwise) of it. And, by now, we know where we stand anyway.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2003, 08:06:29 AM »
Uhhh, change history? Want me to start posting links to the pre-war press releases of this administration calling Saddams government a "Brutal Regime that has committed unspeakable acts against its own people" ??  

Quit smoking dope, its giving you short term memory loss.

Like I said, yes, WMD *was* a priority.  Also a priority was the freedom of the Iraqi people from a brutal dictator.  This is yet more proof of it. Learn to deal with the truth.

Offline SLO

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2003, 08:09:22 AM »
stop whining sheep herders.....:D

better late then sorry......at least you had the balls to do something even though a little carelessly......

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2003, 08:09:54 AM »
Originally posted by bounder
A just war?

I don't think so.

By calling it a just war you are invoking an implicit absolute morality that you assume is shared by all others. Fortunately for the rest of the world this is not the case.

Now if you can define a suitable absolute morality that is acceptable to all and if you can point to evidence of the war being consistent with that moral code ,  then you might be on firmer ground. Of course the tough bit is defining a absolute moral code (what is its authority? What is its provenance, God? Jeanne Kirkpatrick? Howard Stern?) let alone an absolute moral code that is universally acceptable.

(note: most absolute and universal moral codes include pronouncements on the sanctity of human life)

Calling it a just war (or an unjust war) without defining your terms is merely indicating your approval (or otherwise) of it. And, by now, we know where we stand anyway.

Maybe if folks like you didn't think the world revolved around them, maybe if folks around the world were not so self-centered, then maybe we could continue to free the oppressed around the world? We just need your kind to stop thinking about "Me me me! I got mine! Screw everyone else!"

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2003, 08:15:42 AM »
Uhhh, change history? Want me to start posting links to the pre-war press releases of this administration calling Saddams government a "Brutal Regime that has committed unspeakable acts against its own people" ??

The reason given  to the rest of the world was : "to disarm Iraq from WMD´s"

And that is final.

It dont matter if the prioritys has changed afterwards or not.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2003, 08:40:29 AM »

And that is final.

Now YOU'RE changing history.

It was failure to comply on resolution 1442 by turning over their WMD (and about 12 other resolutions) which they hid instead.  That was the "on paper"  reason for the US to go in, yet we *knew* these human rights violations existed. At least we had the balls to go in, instead of sitting back and letting this go on...but hey, when one is self centered, they really don't care much about what goes on elsewhere, even if brutal dicatatorship is prevailent.

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2003, 08:44:57 AM »
It was failure to comply on resolution 1442 by turning over their WMD

How does this differ from what i said? :confused:

Offline -tronski-

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2003, 08:50:19 AM »

And that is final.

Thats what the australian govt. told us...it's all about the WMD's...it's all about the WMD's...
 and it still is to them.

Operation Falconer

The Prime Minister announced on 18 March 2003 that the Government had committed Australian Defence Force elements in the Middle East to the coalition of military forces prepared to enforce Iraq's compliance with its international obligations to disarm.

the freedom part is just to fill in the empty spaces....

Tronsky
God created Arrakis to train the faithful

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2003, 09:10:51 AM »
How does this differ from what i said? :confused:

Its who does it.  Iraq had the chance to disarm.  It did not. We went in and found out what was true, a brutal dictatorship within the Ba'ath party.  Now, if we told the world "We're going in because of the crimes against humanity this regime has committed", do you think we would have gotten ANY support?

We benefitted in several ways. Took out the possibility for state-sponsored terrorist camps within Iraq.  Stopped the brutal crimes against the Iraqi people.  Prevented any future WMD production.  Have a good middle-east jump off spot in which to monitor any muslim extremist groups operating in the area, and the latter being good for ALL of the world.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2003, 09:13:12 AM by Ripsnort »

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2003, 09:24:53 AM »
so who we freeing next, Rip?
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2003, 09:26:44 AM »
We went in and found out what was true

Now, if we told the world "We're going in because of the crimes against humanity this regime has committed", do you think we would have gotten ANY support?

You djust proved my point... If the real reason was given people wouldnt be so upset...

Shoot first ask later...

Afghanistan was payback for 9/11 and to get Bin Ladin, Irak war was about libirating the poor Iraki citizens? yea right...

Offline GrimCO

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.GrimsReapers.com
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2003, 09:29:33 AM »
Originally posted by Karnak
Get off your high horses.

As bad as Saddam was, there are far, far worse "governments" to live under in other places on this world and I don't see any outpouring of sympathy or demands that we fix those places.

You rightists are only gungho about having stopped this one barbarian because your leaders have endorsed it.  Everytime a member of the opposition suggests doing something because it would be a "Just War" you guys all scream and cry like babies.

Don't make me laugh.

Just War.

:rolleyes:

You mean the same way you're screaming and crying now?

From what I've seen, it seems to be a trait on both sides of the bandwagon.