Author Topic: Scoring system oddities  (Read 265 times)

Offline Soviet

• Nickel Member
      • http://flanker2.8m.net
Scoring system oddities
« on: November 24, 2001, 09:19:00 PM »
The scoring system is a little messed up'

Here's something to prove it

All these are fighting rank stats
Player: Soviet
Kills / Deaths + 1 1.7049
Kills / Sorties 0.7536
Kills / Time online 0.0011
Hit percentage 0.0513
Points 12437.0164
Kills 104
Assists 30
Sorties 138
Landed 75
Bailed 4
Ditched 2
Death 52
Disco 2
Time hh:mm:ss 27:14:09
Rank 469

Here's someone I just looked up randomly who has a better score than me

Player: Chevy
Kills / Deaths + 1 0.9408
Kills / Sorties 0.8548
Kills / Time online 0.0027
Hit percentage 0.0614
Points 13478.7558
Kills 159
Assists 35
Sorties 186
Landed 12
Bailed 4
Ditched 4
Captured 1
Death 161
Disco 4
Time hh:mm:ss 16:34:23
Rank 289

As I said these are fighter ranks only, i just care about fighters because that's what i fly the most.

how is it possible for someone with a worse k/d ratio than me, has been on less this tour, has more discos, and doesn't land much when i have high (1.7) k/d ratio, have logged 27 fighter hours and land at least 2/3 of my sorties?

I also fly High ENY planes (over 25 usually sometimes even ones in the 35-40 range) when (no offence Chevy you can fly whatever you want it's your $15 and i don't mind what you fly) Chevy flies low ENY value planes?  I mean shouldn't there be some sort of reward for flying High ENY value planes to promote more usuage besides just more perkies (which are useless IMO because i will never trade in my wurger for something better  :D).

Just my opinion feel free to disagree i just wanna wing up get kills and have fun with my squad.

<S!> ~Soviet

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
Scoring system oddities
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2001, 09:30:00 PM »
That's an interesting concept SOVIET--award higher rank to pilots who tend to fly planes with higher ENY value.

Might be worth a try!

The scoring system as now seems a bit...odd.

J_A_B

Offline Raubvogel

• Gold Member
Scoring system oddities
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2001, 09:41:00 PM »
He has more kills and points. The rank system seems to favor taking off, furballing, dieing and repeating over and over.

Offline Soviet

• Nickel Member
      • http://flanker2.8m.net
Scoring system oddities
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2001, 09:46:00 PM »
I think that should be changed to favor those who play more "realistically."  I am very cautious about when to engage.  I get some alt and have some friendlies nearby just in case i get in trouble, i have good gunnery skills and am a decent pilot.  I try to Return to base alive as much as possible.  If i see the tables begin to turn against us i will run back to base to live and fight another day.  I like to pretend this is really WW2 and staying alive is my #1 priority followed by helping out countrymen.

Just food for thought

<S!> ~Soviet

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Scoring system oddities
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2001, 10:20:00 PM »
Your kills per time online really hurts you.  That's gotta be in the bottom 3/4 of the rankings.  Your gun % doesn't help either.  Basically.. the person beats the hell out of you in every stat except k/d.

Since rankings are cumulative (from each individual category)... I suggest you either start working on every other stat or get over the fact that you'll never be ranked very high.

AKDejaVu

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Scoring system oddities
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2001, 11:21:00 PM »
Soviet, dunno if what you posted about is an inaccuracy but here is soemthing I can't explain:

Go to squad ranks, ie.  Squad Ranking for Arabian Knights

Compare my (AKIron) kills/deaths with that of the stats page for me (AKIron)

Stats Page

Seems to be quite a discrepancy here.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
Scoring system oddities
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2001, 01:05:00 AM »
Your hit percentage is lower. Now believe it or not but it has a significant bearing on your fighter score. Better gunnery is rewarded as well as kills per time/ and total amount of kills.

I agree that the scoring system could be tweaked a little. Its not really representative of a good sim pilot, although some really good pilots achieve high scores.
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Sachs

• Nickel Member
      • http://where?
Scoring system oddities
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2001, 01:37:00 AM »
I watch mine fluxuate quite a bit within 5 or 10 at most.  Keys to success kill/to time online and accuracy.  Those are the most important IMO as to score.  I have a lower ratio but I also do not like to fly long to get in a fight.  I also do the I am going to fly this flight as long as possible to get a kill.  All in all those 2 above are the main represenative in rankings.  my call sign is AGJV44

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Scoring system oddities
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2001, 11:36:00 AM »
Compare my (AKIron) kills/deaths with that of the stats page for me (AKIron)

You will usually see a discrepancy between the stats page and the score page in regards to kills.  This is because kills of ground vehicles while on a fighter sortie will not be tallied on the score page... but will be logged on the stats page.  The squad score page takes its stats from the far right colum on the individual score pages.

AKDejaVu

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
Scoring system oddities
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2001, 02:27:00 PM »
Don't worry about rankings, then.  This is why Deja makes his monthly stat pages that show best K/D for each plane, top killers in each plane, etc.

It would be nice if you could see your rank in each sub-category tho on the HTC website.  Maybe a sortable index for each category also.  The data is there, just need the front end for us to look at it.  However, I don't want the devs taking time away from working on 1.09 to whip up the web interfaces for it.

That way you could easily check your rank in overall fighter K/D or hit percentage as opposed to just overall fighter rank.
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.