Author Topic: WWIIO - review  (Read 1080 times)

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
WWIIO - review
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2003, 01:40:19 PM »
Originally posted by Creamo
If you were a true gangster, you would buy only the "8 Ball" Old English, what is it, a 64oz bottle?, in a brown bag. Let the looting begin!

Olde English 800 = "8 ball"

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
WWIIO - review
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2003, 03:00:35 PM »
Thanks Captain Obvious, I was wondering the .oz amount.

Offline metronom

• Copper Member
WWIIO - review
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2003, 03:01:12 PM »
I too took the 7 days trial to try this game again. Very true, to find a battle is pure luck. The FM is still ridicoulus, so the lags. But the map with cities, roads, trees and bridges is very fine. For me this is the best part.
The worst part IMO is the lack of comunication between the players. I logged in,lookin the map, trying to figure out where is anything happen and tried over radio to get some infos. I felt like Robinson Crusoe. Not a soul would answer, no chattin, no explanation if you got a question - nothin.
The terrains are nicer in WWIIOnline, but the chatter, the "inteligent" bashing on ch1 and of course up to 700 AH junkies on the server is for me the kick for a succesfull online game.

Sailor

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
WWIIO - review
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2003, 03:43:44 PM »
Thanks Captain Obvious, I was wondering the .oz amount.

POZER

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
WWIIO - review
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2003, 06:33:27 PM »
I have dabbled since it came out, and it is pretty damn good now.  The code seems to work, except for the bias issue, but I play a lot and enjoy it.

As with any game, you get out of it what you want, and this game is not really for lone wolfers(in the WB/AH sense of the word).  In a group, it is a blast.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
WWIIO - review
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2003, 05:27:19 PM »
I've been playing it heavily for the last month and a half (taking a break from AH).

- scenery and terrain is great. Its not the latest Geforce 3D graphics but it does an excellent job of providing covered terrain for a large map.
 - graphics look much better than the older versions. Inf model has improved dramatically
 - sound is nicely modelled
 - in the 1.5 month period I've only had 1 'wierd' crash

- lag is a problem, I believe there is NO predictive netcode
 - FM is a bit of a joke
 - damage model on a/c is too
 - the game is still full of bugs and 'loopholes' that some players exploit (clipping, despawning, speedhacking etc)
 - numbers have slipped. Theres definitely not the 1000's they claim there, it feels like maybe 500-600 during peak times, 100 or less off peak
 - comm's system does suck
 - you need 1Gb of RAM
 - you cannot run the game over 1024x768 without 'issues' (I have a 2100XP+, 1Gb, GF3Ti500, at 1280 it'd cause horrible sound crackling
 - squads seem to be the solution to be finding the war.
 - links to helpsites on the ww2ol website and many fansites are broken

I play WW2OL for the groundwar and actually enjoy it. But I don't play it for Air 2 Air. The game has come a long way. Having said that if CRS don't pull some magic beans out of the hat soon the game willl gradually slip into oblivion. Just exploring the ww2ol website and finding so many dead links it feels like a ghost town already.

For the most part the game has degenerated into the land grab common in AH. It usually involves camping. In fact its Camper central in this game. So I would be suprised if many of the old players are finding it a little boring, just like I'd been getting AH.

Its definitely worth a try, esp if you can pick up a CD Key cheap.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2003, 05:29:30 PM by Vulcan »

Offline OIO

• Silver Member
WWIIO - review
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2003, 05:49:40 PM »
If you like tank battle, this is the best game so far.

If you like flying, then stay the heck away from ww2ol, the FM , DM , weapons and their HORRIBLE 64 limit (which for some idiotic reason prefers to make the con in your gunsights dissapear to render some love muffin friendly tank in the ground) will make this game utterly frustrating.

If you like artillery, play german. Allies have no artillery. Oh, unless you count the BOFORS which cant kill a single opel truck with 2 ammo belts of its alleged high caliber cannon rounds.

If you like infantry, stay the hell away. CRS dreams up even more ways to make the infantry irrelevant 'xcept to hump flags. Last set of patches have been a joke for the infantry.. for example:

1.added sloping mini-hills and new 3d shrubs.

Effect on infantry: Tanks can now hide under hills and MG you from 1km away (you cant see them), tanks can now park inside bushes (which in a strange twist of fate are as tall as tanks) and MG you to death from 1km away. Any infantry using the new bushes as cover dies instantly.. since the bushes "hover" a half a millimeter over the ground, making a prone or standing inf behind the bushes be extremely easy to see..and bushes are not solid cover. Any infantry using the hills as cover dies instantly as they got to put the upper part of their chest above the hill to fire, and they become extremely easy to see since they skyline against the "horizon". Tanks MG them from 1km away.

2. Added animations to infantry

Effect on infantry: They can now get MG'd from 1km away from a tank as they salute or finger each other. Animations also make a prone, well hidden inf become extremely visible.

3. Added kneeling position and "idle" inf animation

Effect on infantry: They now get MG'd from 1km away by a tank since their heads and torsos bob around when they are kneeling and standing still, making them extremely easy to see, even behind cover.

Thats about it.

and we wont even mention their imbecilic stance on not allowing players to tow their own 88's or bofors or AT or AA guns with a jeep. It seems to me CRS has their heads so up their arses they havent realized no player in their sane state of mind will just tow another player around and SIT with him doing nothing for long periods of time. But then again, maybe its because all the fanbois beg anyone with a RAT icon to let them be the ones to tow their mighty guns, and thus they think all players get the same treatment.

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
WWIIO - review
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2003, 08:58:38 AM »
I play WW2OL occasionally, a I get the opportunity - which is not very often at the moment.  Just changed to a British-based squad from a French-based one, so I'm having to work my way up the ranks again.  This squad uses Teamspeak which makes a big difference to the game-play, and seems to be more reliable than Roger Wilco.

I've never tried flying there, but I love the tanks!  :D
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
WWIIO - review
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2003, 09:40:49 AM »
Nice try Capt. Funky Pants, I already sold the item.

Thanks Curval!

Well, I loaded it up...patched and tweaked for about an hour, played for ten minutes without even seeing an enemy..then uninstalled that POS.

It wasn't a total loss though.  That Yahoo Group is awesome.  When are we hooking up with you and that midget chick Creamo?  Interesting pics btw.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
WWIIO - review
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2003, 10:32:27 AM »
WWIIOL sucks, I told ya. I wanted it to work too.

Now hold on there before you book a cruise with the Creamo family there Curval.

Chicks with PBR belly's in biker pants excite you, Cathy shouldn't. She is the "anti-filthy" of women, strict religion and Catholic. Surprises me time to time for sure getting wild, but that's the merits of being married. Don't let her being "petite", or my goofing on you, get you all bent and call her a "midget".

She's small, but fun as hell.

Chicks that fly rockets and don’t bend over chairs and sweat in leather pants have their merits, ten fold.

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
WWIIO - review
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2003, 10:44:48 AM »
Don't let her being "petite", or my goofing on you, get you all bent and call her a "midget".

Ah man...I honestly wasn't referring to your wife.  I almost downloaded that rocket video..and planned on doing so, but it was just too big for the time I had..so I never even saw that.

I should have said "sheep" or something...and added a smiley.

I thought your comment on the sale was funny and was trying to be funny back.  It didn't work.  No offense intended.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Kadesh

• Zinc Member
WWIIO - review
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2003, 01:45:19 AM »
Originally posted by Curval
Well, I loaded it up...patched and tweaked for about an hour, played for ten minutes without even seeing an enemy..then uninstalled that POS.

Wow curval ... you tried it for all of 10 minutes ???

Glad to see you didn't go in with any preconceptions :) :) :)

Offline devious

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.jg301-wildesau.de
WWIIO - review
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2003, 04:57:56 AM »
Originally posted by OIO

2. Added animations to infantry

Effect on infantry: They can now get MG'd from 1km away from a tank as they salute or finger each other.

OMFG they FINGER each other ? I need that game.