Author Topic: Booooorrrrriiiinnnngggg  (Read 3035 times)

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Booooorrrrriiiinnnngggg
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2003, 11:07:59 AM »
I remain perplexed as to why some seem to take the opinion that only the Ki-84 is a decent IJ fighter, and dismiss the Ki-61. For starters, the Ki-84 only saw service in the Pacific starting in 1945 (very late 44 in the CBI) before then, the Ki-61 and the A6M5 were the two main types in the Pacific. It was clearly the best IJ fighter from 1943-44 and did all the hard fighting in NG and the Solomons, long before any N1K2s or Ki-84s saw service.

Used with determination and in enough #s, it is a very potent fighter. Heck, the version we had in Warbirds had the 4 x 12.7mm as armament only, and it was still a good fighter, when I heard the AH version had the 2 x 20mm cannon I thought "uh oh" its going to be a tough fighter, and it is!

AH needs the Ki-84, and I want to see it asap, dont get me wrong, but its not a mid war fighter, it belongs fighting the P-51Ds, P47D-30s and the F4U-1Ds.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Booooorrrrriiiinnnngggg
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2003, 11:09:36 AM »
Originally posted by Drunky
I'm glad the Ki-61 is involved this time :D

I think this plane is very underrated IMO

Yup.  The Tony v. P-38 fights have been outstanding.  Probably the Nik is on the uber side, but it doesn't seem to be over-used like the Spits were in the Sicily setup last week.  Would like to see all planes enabled from the GV bases to cut down on time-to-the-fight; otherwise I think this is a very nice setup.

- oldman

Offline keyapaha

• Nickel Member
Booooorrrrriiiinnnngggg
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2003, 11:52:43 AM »
Man I wish I could fly the Ki61 and N1K2 I totaly suck in these 2 IJ planes,I do fly them alot just cant get a grasp on them.The main problem is the view from the Ki61 is horribale,but a squadie told me about shifting your head pos around the canopy rails,I use only the default views didnt know you could shift your head around(silly me).Maybe this will help but doubt it to me I think the Ki61 is bad at everything cant climb,accelerate,turn,and ammo but can dive good but that does no good aginst a p38/47 or the f4u they can all catch it in a dive. to those that can fly it sorry but I can not, but wil keep trying and dieing.:)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Booooorrrrriiiinnnngggg
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2003, 12:14:36 PM »
For me, the Ki61 is just the sweetest Japanese ride.   Its alot like the P-40E, except that it can disintegrate important pieces of the other fellow's plane with sub-200 yd snapshots.     If you keep it in the middle of it fight too long though, you are in trouble.

Fighting the P-38 is an experience.    Personally I have the most trouble with the '38, but I am also surprised how the jugheads are willing to mix it up with us at low level.   Its surprisingly manueverable as well.

Just been a real enjoyable week in the CT for IJ flyers so far.

I like Oldman's idea of allowing spawning (fighters at least) of planes from the VHs to shorten the time to a fight.

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
Booooorrrrriiiinnnngggg
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2003, 12:25:59 PM »
If all you guys want to do is fight in this map, then don't capture 30 and 40!  Meet halfway and have a fun time!  :)  It's only about a 10-15 mile flight to the halfway point.  We had some good fights in the '42 Slot between those two fields (until one side refused to go more than 5 miles from their field...)
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline najdorf

• Copper Member
Booooorrrrriiiinnnngggg
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2003, 01:02:51 PM »
The CM's moved the front.  I was happy with the A30 to A40 fites.

As for the plane set for IJ, I fly the N1k.

I find the Tony difficult to fly.  Guns are a little easier to aim than the N1k, but the speed is just about a wash.  I like the vertical capabilities of the N1k over the Tony and the better overall turning capabilities it has.  I can catch almost any US plane if I have some alt, except maybe the F4u-1 if it has a full head of steam.

As for the guns, more difficult to aim, but hey, you get 900 rounds of cannon, so spray away.

Offline MrLars

• Silver Member
Booooorrrrriiiinnnngggg
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2003, 03:17:17 PM »
Originally posted by MrLars
This isn't exactly so.

Let me amend my statement, I've never seen more flat out running with no thoughts of engaging than in this planeset that I've ever seen in the MA. Extending to gain or regain advantage is one thing but running back to the nearest friendly base or hoard while holding their skirts up so they won't trip and < gasp > have to fight makes for a very boring time in the CT.

Looking forward to the next CT set-up, one that will hopefully be a bit more condusive to AtoA combat.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Booooorrrrriiiinnnngggg
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2003, 04:32:06 PM »
Originally posted by MrLars
Let me amend my statement, I've never seen more flat out running with no thoughts of engaging than in this planeset that I've ever seen in the MA. Extending to gain or regain advantage is one thing but running back to the nearest friendly base or hoard while holding their skirts up so they won't trip and < gasp > have to fight makes for a very boring time in the CT.

Looking forward to the next CT set-up, one that will hopefully be a bit more condusive to AtoA combat.

Not me ... if anything I've seen the opposite. Sorry your experiences were worse than mine.

Offline CurtissP-6EHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Booooorrrrriiiinnnngggg
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2003, 05:04:13 PM »
bore and zoom planes

Ahhhhh, I stand corrected.
cheers!!

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Booooorrrrriiiinnnngggg
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2003, 03:27:55 AM »
Very fun last night(CET), numbers stayed even for a couple of hours .
Flew IJN with Yancyan and a few others, giving a few P38's a little scare when we dived on them with our A6M2's :D

Of course, it started to be less fun when Furball came in & started whoopin' my sorry old arse... ;)
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Booooorrrrriiiinnnngggg
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2003, 07:52:06 AM »
Originally posted by najdorf
The CM's moved the front.  

Missed this before.

Shame on the CMs for "fixing" things once again on the slot map. Go ahead, cut it down to one allied base. :rolleyes:

Offline eddiek

• Silver Member
Don't blame the CM's, Arlo
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2003, 08:25:58 AM »
Other CT Staff suggested moving the front, but the final decision to move it or not was mine to make.
Only activity prior to the move was between A30 and A40.  I decided the older hands might be right, and that the move might stimulate activity.
After watching the arena for the last couple days........they were right.

Last night was a blast.  I flew IJN out of A37 and A5 along with some of the other Assassins and we gave a decent account of ourselves even in the "inferior" and "totally outclassed" Japanese planes.

To address the title of this thread:  Whether or not a setup is "boring" is up to each individual pilot.  It's all a matter of perspective.  In each setup we have had, either side has the choice of making the setup interesting and mixing it up with the enemy, or playing it safe and making it "boring" for their opponents.  It all boils down to what we, the players, do with what we are given each week.  I got down on the deck yesterday afternoon in a P-47D11 and mixed it up with some A6M5b's, turn fighting and having a blast.  And yes, I landed my sortie.  Had I elected to stay high and fast and just annoy the heck out of those Zeroes, yep, that would have been boring, even for me.

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Booooorrrrriiiinnnngggg
« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2003, 09:00:04 AM »
Breathe Eddiek :)

I was flying IJN all evening last night and had tremendous fun (didn't land much, but a lot of blue/silver planes have the mark of my boot on their bottoms :D). Yes the allies B&Z much, that's how they're supposed to do it, just taunt them on CH1, most will be fool enough to come turn with you (ok, not all of them, but... most).

I flew lower, with sometimes lower number, and I never had the time to get bored.
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Originally posted by eddiek
Other CT Staff suggested moving the front, but the final decision to move it or not was mine to make.
Only activity prior to the move was between A30 and A40.  I decided the older hands might be right, and that the move might stimulate activity.
After watching the arena for the last couple days........they were right.

Last night was a blast.  I flew IJN out of A37 and A5 along with some of the other Assassins and we gave a decent account of ourselves even in the "inferior" and "totally outclassed" Japanese planes.

To address the title of this thread:  Whether or not a setup is "boring" is up to each individual pilot.  It's all a matter of perspective.  In each setup we have had, either side has the choice of making the setup interesting and mixing it up with the enemy, or playing it safe and making it "boring" for their opponents.  It all boils down to what we, the players, do with what we are given each week.  I got down on the deck yesterday afternoon in a P-47D11 and mixed it up with some A6M5b's, turn fighting and having a blast.  And yes, I landed my sortie.  Had I elected to stay high and fast and just annoy the heck out of those Zeroes, yep, that would have been boring, even for me.

Wrong answer. You're just as bad as Brady. What you did was arbitrarily decide to push the Allies into the corner to give the Axis side an artificial advantage. And yes, I'm not surprised the "old hands" talked you into it. It's just the sort of hypocritical one-sided logic I expected to surface (once again).

So now everything is fun and hunky dory for the IJ players. Well isn't that nice? That's been the excuse for every arbitrary change made to the Slot. The only time any change has been made that didn't negatively impact the Allied side has been when numerous posts were made in response to some stupid move made by the CT CMs.

If you notice, it didn't bother me all that much until I found out it wasn't a case of IJ players taking bases willy nilly (even if it may have been done in the total absense of Allied players) ... what bothers me is the CT CM staff having dumb arse kneejerk reactions at percieved problems.

Just for the record: You pushed the Allies into the corner of the map because you and a few other IJ players were "bored" and now that you've "fixed" things everything's ok because you and those whining IJ players are have tons more fun now and your kill ratio is much improved. That's what you're saying, right?

The CT CMs have had three chances to prove that they could run the slot without bias and have failed miserably everytime.

The first time the F4U was dumped (precipitating a domino effect on all sorts or aircraft) because it was being "abused (used).

The second time fleets were reset in the middle of an Allied assault because "they were impossible to sink" (in spite of players posting that they could sink them).

And now the Allies are pushed into the corner because, gosh darn it, those Hog, Lightning and T-bolt drivers are flying they way they're supposed to!

ROFL

Do you still wonder why CT numbers are low? They could easily be double what they are now. I've had no less than 10 players make the comment to me or on the country channel that they've had it and they'd rather put up with MA bs than fight in the CT where they end up having to fight the CMs as well as their opponent.

The Niki equalizes things just fine. And yes ... I know that first hand (as do three other Hog drivers who switched sides to equal things up). {Oh, Brady ... class act logging on and pooping yer diaper when you saw numbers were slewed ... yet we had things well in hand. We were sorely tempted to use the advantage to retake the bases your staff gave away to make things fun for everyone but we decided to go ahead and fly IJ for awhile. But knee-jerkin is your nature ;))

I tried .... I promoted it. You not only made my efforts futile but you shot yourselves in your collective feet as well. Target Rabaul is nearly in open beta and alot of players who would have been satisified flyinf Pacific CT setups (had they been left well enough alone) will gravitate there.

Once again ... the CT arena shouldn't be the "Pik As" personal sandbox. While you guys are busy patting each other on the back for the "selfless sacrifices" you're making for "the community", some are wondering why HT is letting you get away with squandering his resources and running off players.

Even I'm of the mind to tell ya to shove the CT up yer collective backsides and have someone call me when it's either under new management or the "old hands" learn exactly what the hell the phrase "fair and unbiased management" means. ;) :D

Once again .. have a nice fuggin' day. :)

Offline brady

• Platinum Member
      • http://personal.jax.bellsouth.net/jax/t/y/tyr88/JG2main.html
Booooorrrrriiiinnnngggg
« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2003, 01:25:35 PM »
Do you realise that it is almost imposable to actualy take an airbase on this map? That in the whole weekend no bases were taken. That only a one bases front existed all weekend, and that the idea was to creat a two bases front which is better for everyone. The front could of been pushed up to 30 and 9 for the allies and prety much had the same effect, but by moving it south you have more bases to play for in the henderson area, and the US has the double bases at Henderson.

The main point is that the front is static since the airbases are to hard to take, so if the front cant move it doesent mater who get's pushed back as long as it makes for better fight's.