Author Topic: Where I came from....  (Read 2276 times)

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
Where I came from....
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2003, 10:54:48 AM »
<----- agrees with vort

Offline JimBear

• Nickel Member
Where I came from....
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2003, 12:03:03 PM »
Gald you made it over,
I left FA(ver2)  3-4 years ago. Never looked back, never regretted it.

Offline _Schadenfreude_

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Where I came from....
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2003, 12:57:05 PM »
Originally posted by JimBear
Gald you made it over,

Yep lot of people are unhappy with the flight model while the powers that be go "Problem...what problem?"

Am enjoying myself so far but could do with some more planes,
no Tojo, 109K, Frank, P39.......

Am thinking of starting a squad...Lost Lambs of FA....callsign
Mint_Sauce

Offline JAWS2003

• Nickel Member
Where I came from....
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2003, 03:16:19 PM »
Originally posted by Kweassa
I must say the graphics are very good.

As I've always emphasized, the most realistic touches comes from how the lighting is done. In that sense, the immersive level of graphical aura FA3.5 gives, is better than even IL-2 or FB. Yes, overall detail level is way superior in IL-2/FB, however, IL-2/FB has a sort of a 'pastel tone' graphics, whereas the 'tone' of FA3.5, is very strong. The best results would be the individual 3D rendering and modelling in IL-2/FB detail level + the overall lightings tone of FA3.5.

The rendering and 3D modelling of planes in AH isn't all that bad either - the really big reason the graphics look so dated, is that the limited light source in AH brings the lightings, shade, and reflective quality way down.

Some of the pics I've posted in these forums, show what difference it could make with a different lightings effects.

If I digress a bit, I'm related with the game industry a bit myself, and I compare a lot of game titles with each other. The really striking strong-point of Japanese games(console type), is how they implement multi-source lightings effects within a game.

Some recent titles like the latest Grantourismo series and etc, have an amazing quality of likeness to reality, and that is not because the 3D modelling is exceptionally good, rather, it is how the lightings are done.

As with any art, truly, "light" is what brings out the magic :)

I used to play the FA3, and when the 3.5 came out  i tried it but it lasted on my machine 2 DAYS. Don't even compare it with FB. Just look at the cockpits, or tracers, or damage. I play FB a lot now and is like no other games. And the FA looks like a cartoon, is like 5 years behind.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2003, 03:20:51 PM by JAWS2003 »

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Where I came from....
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2003, 03:38:56 PM »
Originally posted by JimBear
Gald you made it over,

what he said
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
Where I came from....
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2003, 04:43:49 PM »
I used to play the FA3, and when the 3.5 came out i tried it but it lasted on my machine 2 DAYS. Don't even compare it with FB. Just look at the cockpits, or tracers, or damage. I play FB a lot now and is like no other games. And the FA looks like a cartoon, is like 5 years behind.

You're not exactly getting the point.. ;).. but alas, preferences are as numerous as the stars.

Offline JAWS2003

• Nickel Member
Where I came from....
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2003, 05:42:49 PM »
you are right. ;)  sorry. I love the Forgotten Battles too much maybe;)

Offline _Schadenfreude_

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Where I came from....
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2003, 05:53:42 PM »
FB is a great Flight Sim but it lacks the thrill of a massive online game - if it had the FM and MMOG it would clean up.

Offline RAF71_Ching

• Zinc Member
Where I came from....
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2003, 07:33:37 AM »
hehe, Schadenfreude I know where you came from!
Thought you could hide from us?
All you AH guys need to be careful of this character. He is quite political and I've heard a nasty vulch. :) jk.
JimBear! lol I remember you! JimBear was one of the best pilots of FA. When did you leave? Sometime around 2.0?
Go take a look at 3.6 - it will be up later today.

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
Where I came from....
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2003, 11:48:06 AM »
I just tried Fighter ace 3.5 and it looked nice but flew like a spacecraft game. It felt more like starwars xwing than a flight sim but none the less it was enjoyable.

The graphics look lovely but i do feel they have a cartoon like quality.Almost as if every part has been highlighted slightly too much.That last one with the spitfire showing its underside illustrates what i mean. Look at the amount of detail you can see.Each panel or part seems to have a black outline around it which gives that cartoony feel.

Offline _Schadenfreude_

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Where I came from....
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2003, 07:02:28 AM »
Originally posted by hazed-
I just tried Fighter ace 3.5 and it looked nice but flew like a spacecraft game. It felt more like starwars xwing than a flight sim but none the less it was enjoyable.

Pretty much why I left - expect to see a lot more people joining AH from there too....

Offline RAF71_Ching

• Zinc Member
Where I came from....
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2003, 11:41:56 AM »
They upped the acceleration rates to something like twice normal back in FA 3.0.

I heard that they did this to make game play more exciting.

I don't like this aspect of FA either. Schaden is right, they don't want to hear about it at Jaleco and I think they are denying that they did this now - but I know better.  I will try AH but it is tough to leave something when you have been involved since 1.0.

FA Level 9 rooms are less StarWarish and that is where I stay.

Offline RAF71_Ching

• Zinc Member
Where I came from....
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2003, 11:46:16 AM »
Originally posted by hazed-

Look at the amount of detail you can see.Each panel or part seems to have a black outline around it which gives that cartoony feel. [/B]

I can forgive them for this, true it is graphic overkill up close, but it looks good from about 100-300 feet and in fast action.

Offline _Schadenfreude_

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Where I came from....
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2003, 11:51:56 AM »
Originally posted by RAF71_Ching
They upped the acceleration rates to something like twice normal back in FA 3.0.

I heard that they did this to make game play more exciting.

I don't like this aspect of FA either. Schaden is right, they don't want to hear about it at Jaleco and I think they are denying that they did this now - but I know better.  I will try AH but it is tough to leave something when you have been involved since 1.0.

FA Level 9 rooms are less StarWarish and that is where I stay.

Look me up online using the Roster from the Clipboard - the only really big diff here is the no padlock thing and takes a little practice - make sure your views are mapped to yr stick and you set up the views for max visibility.

hehe Spit 9 is a killer in here...

Offline xbrit

• Silver Member
Where I came from....
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2003, 05:13:30 AM »
Hi guys
I left FA soon after the release of FA3, been here for 9 or 10 months now and having a blast. I miss some of the guys from FA but the people here in AH are what make it special.