Author Topic: Deadsticking the pony  (Read 881 times)

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
Deadsticking the pony
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2003, 01:24:42 PM »
I thought the last time I glided an La7 it was much worse that original.  It used to glide like a P-51, now it was toned down.  The La7 used to also auto-rpm-down, so once the engine quit it would reduce to min-rev automatically, but I don't think it does that anymore.

Weird how some planes glide so poorly though, the Typhoon being the example I have the most experience with.  The Typhoon simply can't glide... it's awful.

-Soda
Aces High Trainer Corps.
The Assassins.

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
Deadsticking the pony
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2003, 06:55:13 PM »
dover in a earlier post you said you could change the angle of rotor blades on p38...in this game...how would i go abouts doing that

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
Deadsticking the pony
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2003, 07:01:08 PM »
What you on about p38?

I think you're on about the num pad - & = keys.

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
Deadsticking the pony
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2003, 09:52:34 PM »
Originally posted by BenDover
you can change the angle of the blades IF the prop is windmilling (No power from engine, spinning do to wind).

But if the prop shaft is nackered and the prop isn't spining, you can't reduce RMPs. At least i don't think you can.

Wander if we'll get real feathering in AH2

this is what im talking about...

Offline Blue Mako

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org/BLUEmako.htm
Deadsticking the pony
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2003, 09:55:46 PM »
Originally posted by Kweassa
I  distinctly remeber learning from these boards, in the past, that a plane's best glide speed is usually the same as it's climb speed.

Usually close.  It does depend on waht aspect of the glide you are talking about.  Speed for best glide rate (ie. lowest descent rate) is lower than the speed for the best glide angle (ie. getting the furthest distance from your glide).

I specifically remember a chart Pyro(was it Pyro?) showed me, that the best glide speed for an unpowered P-51D, was 175mph.

I never got around to finishing my testing of glide speeds of the pony but my gut feeling from the experience that I have had in the MA says that 175mph is probably the best glide rate and around 200mph is the best glide angle.  As I said, I didn't finish my testing so it is purely an intuitive number that I use.

So I guess it can be said that usually about 175~200mph speed is optimum glide speed for almost all planes in AH.

Probably  a good rule of thumb.

Reducing the RPM does seem to have a positive effect, although it could be that in some cases it might be placebo.

Reducing the RPM DOES have a positive effect.  A propeller windmilling at high RPM has much more drag than a prop windmilling at low RPM.  ALWAYS lower the RPM to min when trying to stretch your glide.  If you find yourself overshooting the runway when you're coming in deadstick, increase RPM to help you slow down.