Author Topic: SATELITTE VS DIGITAL CABLE..... which one is better?  (Read 1032 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
SATELITTE VS DIGITAL CABLE..... which one is better?
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2003, 02:32:23 PM »
Welp,..DiSH has been rock solid for me.  I check the transponders signal strength during heavy showers and I can see one drop, then another comes up,...neat yo-yo thing going on.

I have access to 6 transponders on two different sats, and have had mild pixelation during the most severe storms.

Our local cable provider,..which was Paragon, which was bought by AT&T, and then bought by Comcast has horrible service and outages that lasts for days.

So, in this area, sats rule.  I would say 80-90% of the homes in our neighborhood use sats now.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2003, 02:36:04 PM »
Here in Oregon, I had a problem with signal just once with my DirecTV service and never with my Dish Network service.  The one time with DirecTV was for about 5 min when an extremely heavy hail storm came down (not big hailstones, just a LOT of them).  Other than that, never had a problem, even when it hailed.

Maybe that's part of being on the west coast.

SOB
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2003, 02:49:54 PM »
Originally posted by midnight Target
Had this from my digital provider in March. They get a satellite signal too.

true

we get it, slightly and for a much shorter duration as our dishes are much larger and the lnb much stronger than the 18" to 36" dish & lnbs installed on a home unit
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2003, 03:06:22 PM »
it's because ya'll are too far east ;)

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2003, 03:10:30 PM »
ya, it'd be nice if they'd put up another bird to handle us east of the Mississippi folks.  ;)  It's funny though.  Sometimes I barely lose any signal in a heavy thunderstorm...  then a light drizzle will kill off all the transponders on both sats.  *shrug*

oh well, I haven't missed anything yet that I couldn't see again later.  Though you can bet I'll be ranting when espn cuts out on me during an FSU away game or something in the fall.  ;)  Oh well, I'll just make sure the radio is ready to go if that happens.
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2003, 05:23:20 PM »
We had one of the heaviest rainy seasons ever out here (No. Cal.) and I didn't get any outages, even when it was hailing.

That sucks that some places can't get all the locals on the dish.

Whatever setup you get, make sure you get TiVo or equivalent DVR.

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2003, 05:29:07 PM »
never had an outage here either (Colorado)
and funked is sooooo right.. get the tivo (or whatever they call it now).

hell even local channels come in better here (unlike digital cable).

oh yeah.. and pay per view lasts all day so you can re-watch as needed. (I'm sure Dish does the same thing)

and make sure you get new receivers.. my old one was slower than molasses (changing channels, etc) so I hope none of you get it as a rebuilt!  heh

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2003, 06:38:36 PM »
Oh yeah, the DVR is a must!  And the one with the Dish Network setup doesn't require a subscription like Tivo.
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2003, 06:42:53 PM »
I've got an HDTV, and I desperately want to switch to Dish from my lousy cable, but because I've grown addicted to my ReplayTV DVR, I need to wait for the 921 or JVC-DVR9000 receivers to come out (HD receivers with DVR technology).

Aaarrghh!

If I get a 6000 (the current Dish HDTV receiver), I can still use my ReplayTV like I use it now, just not for HDTV stuff.  The thing is, I get a 'new customer' discount when I get the 6000.  That's a $200 or $300 savings, and if I use it on the 6000, then I have to pay $700+ for the new receiver when it comes out instead of getting it for $500 or so.

Chairboy (Hating cable and desperate for new Dish receivers to come out)
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline guttboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2003, 02:28:47 AM »
I for one will NEVER go back to cable....

Poor signal, crappy customer service, overpriced!

I fired ComCrap after having them tell me that the reason my signal looked bad was because I had a big screen TV  61".  I hooked up the rabbit ears to the back and the repair man then said my line noise was too great......they dug up the yard and replaced it saying that I had 75% more signal....GUESS WHAT....still was bad.

Went to DIRECTV and WHAMMO!!! Great Picture....

The rumors about bad pictures due to weather and such in my opinion are non existent.  I experience thunderstorms, screaming winds, and snow....not once have I had any signal degradation.

just my three cents....