Author Topic: Ever have one of those nights?  (Read 307 times)

Offline Tarmac

• Gold Member
Ever have one of those nights?
« on: June 06, 2003, 01:31:18 AM »
Where you just laugh at yourself, take your stupidity as a sign, and log off?

Had one of those "1 more sortie, just 1 more" nights.  Shouldn't have even been flying... have to get up in 5 hours.  So I upped an a5 with two squaddies at dusk, headed south to an enemy base.  At about 8k, I spot a single faraway low dot, and dive after it.  It's a 5k TBM!!! WEEE!!!  I dive in, and he dives to get away.  I keep chasing, getting lower trying to get below his 50 cal.  Closing distance rapidly, I'm at about 450 mph by now.  I'm in gun zoom, gaining at a decent rate.  2.0, 1.8, 1.6...

Then I think, "I wonder how high we are?" (remember it's almost dark here).  I pop out of gun zoom, look at my altimeter, and...

Tower.  

Have to just get in front of this and admit it before the squaddies call me out on it.  :)

Make me feel better here... anyone else ever done anything extremely, totally, and undeniably stupid?

Offline Lazerus

• Gold Member
Re: Ever have one of those nights?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2003, 01:41:52 AM »
Originally posted by Tarmac

Make me feel better here... anyone else ever done anything extremely, totally, and undeniably stupid?

Yeah, I lost the damn screen shot:D

Offline rshubert

• Silver Member
yes
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2003, 10:27:51 AM »
(sigh)  All the time.  I'm still trying to learn.  (sigh-sigh)  I guess we all get target fixated sometimes.

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2003, 10:57:26 AM »
I had one last night.  Im very low on perks (I really want to fly the perked F4 in the Main)...so I'm cruising the C205.  

Racking up some good kills, but I forgot to manage my fuel better.  Scurried home 4 times with 5 kills and each time, sputtered out of gas within site of the base to land.  Thought "well, bring more gas"....then the subsequent flights, my fuel tank was hit... LOL

Fired up Postal 2, whacked around some innocents, blasted Gary Coleman with an M-16 and called it a night  :)

Offline muckmaw

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2003, 11:03:51 AM »
How about flying toward a CV, dodging and weaving all the way in my REALLY heavy F-6F, interceptors, chasing me, trying to get angles, ACK, 5", eveyone and their dog firing at me.

Survive all that, go into the dive,...perfect line up, deck has 3 planes taking off...*Click*.....Forgot to switch to bombs....

Zoom out, Switch, zoom back in....BANG...back in the tower.

I had to buy the new joystick the next day.

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2003, 11:06:51 AM »
LOL  Good one, Muck...I did that a few nights ago in a P-38....trying not to compress...click bombs...see tracers.  NOoooo!  Select bombs, let up go....and I go in right behind em...dang compression  LOL

Now I know how a TV guided bomb feels

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2003, 01:28:15 PM »
Engaged a P-38, a P-51, and a Spitfire IX while I was flying a clown-tailed Ki fighter.  51 was running, 38 was getting pinged, Spit was lining up a shot on me. Tower.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2003, 01:40:20 PM »
Took a few spins in the P40 last night...not a bad bird...I'm flying for "score"...yuk...this tour so I climb out of A25 heading north along West side of island....cross over ridge line past factory...and cruiseinto area around 26 at about 14k or so...guess took a bout 12 min or so...the goal was to bounce a couple of guys (JABO types preferred:))...then call it a night...have 3-4 possible targets...what do I do...dive in on a spitV who obviously sees me...then an attack of "total handsomehunk" syndrome sets in and I decide to angle fight.....TOWER. Moral is simple...you can change planes, but your still the idiot attached to the stick....sigh.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Modas

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2003, 02:29:04 PM »
Originally posted by LePaul
LOL  Good one, Muck...I did that a few nights ago in a P-38....trying not to compress...click bombs...see tracers.  NOoooo!  Select bombs, let up go....and I go in right behind em...dang compression  LOL

Now I know how a TV guided bomb feels

Suicide gamey Dweeb :D  :D :D  I've been there too.  Gotta love the compression in the 38.  

Gotta...  remember.... dive flaps :D :D

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2003, 02:32:21 PM »
Nothing compares to setting up a Lancaster on autopilot...walking across the hall to...umm, "do gods work" and hear your bomber being shot to hell.   :p

Offline acetnt

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2003, 03:05:20 PM »
Chased a hurt 109 in my La5 all the way to his base 500ft from his tail. Got to his base only to see a 262 just taxing down the runway to take off. Instead of waiting a few seconds to destroy the 262 as it cleared the field - it being so slow - got greedy and went straight for it -- all the while flying 50ft off the ground. Well I decided to take on the acks and flew directly over two of em ---started to squeeze the trigger and realised I was shooting in the tower. Acks got me. Cursed out loud for being so stupid and greedy all at the same time then....

Logged off
« Last Edit: June 06, 2003, 03:11:51 PM by acetnt »