Author Topic: Unsurpassed Dweebery - LOL  (Read 1128 times)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Unsurpassed Dweebery - LOL
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2003, 07:01:27 AM »
Ah, I see. You were impersonating yourself.

Carry on.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2003, 09:11:23 AM »
Originally posted by muckmaw
What the hell is a ping!??!!?

Seriously, mine runs about 47 in the MA.

Does this mean I'm at a disadvantage???

I am so confused now!

ping [Packet INternet Groper]

[from the submariners' term for a sonar pulse] 1. n.
Slang term for a small network message (ICMP ECHO) sent by a
computer to check for the presence and alertness of another.

When you ping another computer, the time is measured from when you sent the ping, to the time you receive an ACK back from the computer you pinged.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2003, 05:17:21 PM »
Originally posted by SlapShot

When you ping another computer, the time is measured from when you sent the ping, to the time you receive an ACK back from the computer you pinged.

Why would anyone want an ACK?  

Ack-Ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Grimm

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2003, 06:56:57 PM »
Originally posted by Ack-Ack
Why would anyone want an ACK?  

Ack-Ack

Yeah... let alone two....   Ack Ack?

;)

Offline Don

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2003, 10:11:24 AM »
Ack-Ack:

Thanks for the clarification. As I am not a buffer I tend not to notice which buffs are firing while on a capped runway; I just see them as buffs. Still, kinda screwy that guns aren't able to fire if they have a claer field of fire; all except the ball turret on the B17 of course.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2003, 12:14:11 PM »
Originally posted by Don
Ack-Ack:

Thanks for the clarification. As I am not a buffer I tend not to notice which buffs are firing while on a capped runway; I just see them as buffs. Still, kinda screwy that guns aren't able to fire if they have a claer field of fire; all except the ball turret on the B17 of course.

I don't know why that feature was put in place but it is a rather recent one, think it came with the last patch.  Maybe too many vultures whined about it because they got shot down trying to vulch the buff as it took off and thought the buff behavior to be 'gamey'.  Personally, I think it puts the buff at a severe disadvantage because of the slow, lumbering rolling speed for take off and the fact that you also have three targets to shoot at most of the time as they take off.

Ack-Ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2003, 12:29:58 PM »
Don't quote me on this Ack-Ack but the inability of buffs to fire while on the ground came about the same time as the nix on car bombing.

They are both measures taken by HTC to keep the "balance" between gamer's and simmer's (IMHO).  Face it... in WW2 (before and since), massive numbers of aircrews don't, didn't, won't rush out to thier aircraft and attempt to get airborne (or just sit there) while thier base in under attack just to man thier guns.  Take a look sometime, plenty of folks STILL up bombers in the middle of attacks... some actually get off the ground but I seldom see them accomplish much of anything, as it should be.  Further... unless a RL base just happens to belong to a bunch of Al-Queda fanatics, the chances of hordes of idiots running out and exploding themselves and everything around them in the name of "base defense" aint gonna happen either.

I'm thankful for these things.  I think most are... the whine-0-meter never really got out of the green when these measures were introduced.

P.S.  There are times when bombers actually should be able to use thier guns while still on the ground.  Heck, I've rolled a buff and been suprised by the lone cherry-picker before.  Yep... that would be a good time to have the ability, unfortunately the "gamey hordes" ruined that.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2003, 12:32:29 PM by Tumor »
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2003, 12:39:44 PM »
Originally posted by TW9
I consider it sacrificing myself for my country.. Why should i just let a goon off to capture one of my fields? This must be one of those "gamey" things.. [/B]

Exactly.  Would you if you didn't get another "life"?  Personally.. I would be in favor of any measure taken by HTC to force (yes force) people to actually think about what thier doing rather than settle for the gamey quick fix.
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2003, 01:29:10 PM »
Originally posted by Toad
Ramming not a part of WW2 air combat?

Who being selectively realistic now?

Again, your flip-flops are about the best part of this board lately!

:D

Damn straight... In 1943, two-hundred planes were lost to the deadly killshooter.
sand

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2003, 06:47:07 PM »
Go Sandman Go!

Start the campaign to end Killshooter!

As it doesn't matter to me either way.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Montezuma

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2003, 07:06:40 PM »
Originally posted by Ack-Ack
Usually the one with the faster connection will get damaged or die from the collision while the one with the slower connection usually flies off unscathed, even if he's the one that initiated the collision in the first place.
Ack-Ack

That is not true at all.

Offline Grimm

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2003, 07:18:26 PM »
The mindset to have when your in a position to collide. ....

"I will Die"... "My Enemy will fly off unscathed"...

Whatever electrical voodoo that goes into deciding who receives the damage isnt important.   Just figure its going to be worse on you and you will attempt to avoid the situation.  

Ramming other planes is.... Hollywood IMHO.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2003, 09:17:58 PM »
Originally posted by Toad
Go Sandman Go!

Start the campaign to end Killshooter!

As it doesn't matter to me either way.

LOL... everytime someone speaks of realism, it strikes my killshooter nerve. :)
sand