Author Topic: Even Ted Turner thinks it's a bad idea  (Read 733 times)

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Even Ted Turner thinks it's a bad idea
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2003, 12:52:27 PM »
Originally posted by Fatty
So you believe broadcast TV still has more influence than cable TV sandman?

Is there a difference? Both rely on advertising to maintain their business.
sand

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2003, 12:59:17 PM »
One is subscription based, one is free.

That doesn't appear to have limited cable's scope or influence though.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2003, 01:10:15 PM »
Originally posted by Fatty
One is subscription based, one is free.

That doesn't appear to have limited cable's scope or influence though.

I'm probably not making myself clear. Even the cable news networks rely on advertising. When I listen to radio news, I listen to a public broadcaster that relies on subscriptions and listener donations, not advertising. But this is an off-tangent discussion. I shouldn't have mentioned it.

I'm confused... do you believe the local television broadcasters have more or less influence because of stations like CNN and MSNBC?
sand

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2003, 01:38:57 PM »
Less, to the point of being insignificant.  Radio news is already near that point, and with broadchannel availability in the works it will only become moreso.  Radio markets were the initial target of the relaxed restrictions, and are what started the latest round of objections.

I hate to break it to Ted, but local stations (television and radio) will continue to become even more insignificant no matter what the FCC does, because the market has changed.

It's not the same situation as when Ted got started, and the only thing cable gave you was better reception of your local channels and a sports channel to boot.  Nor is it a case of local radio/TV being your sole source of news (for most people it's not even a source of news), which made it an obvious case for concern.  That is what the regulations were built upon, and it is why they are obsolete.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2003, 01:44:50 PM by Fatty »

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2003, 01:47:48 PM »
Okay... and you believe that satellite radio will finish off local radio?

If so, I can't see it happening unless the satellite companies either lower their prices or make it free. In any case, there isn't much left. ClearChannel has done a remarkable job squashing local radio in favor of a more nationalized system.

-Off tangent again... I think XM and Sirius differ most from traditional radio because they play music without advertising. It's a completely different relationship between the content provider and the listener than one that uses advertising to pay the bills.
sand

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2003, 01:52:11 PM »
It's in its infancy stages, once they have the market to profit off commercials and a lower subscrition rate you'll see subscription tiers like cable. (either XM or Sirius will likely be pushed out by the other once it can hit a lower price subscription with commercials making up the difference)

Kill off? not completely, I think it'll be along the same lines as television is currently.  Not dead, just insignificant.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2003, 01:54:58 PM by Fatty »