Author Topic: Suicide Field Porker Solution?  (Read 1091 times)

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Suicide Field Porker Solution?
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2003, 09:01:30 AM »
beetle... the newbie can pick an la7 but... he can't get any of the other perked rides.  He will earn little or not perks in the lala and "never" get to fly the perked planes...

As a comparisson.. the lala is free as would be 100 lb bombs... the lala can't really ruin anyones fun except the guy he fights and if he is a newbie the lala will just get him killed..  the bombs on the other hand are a huge stupid mallet weilded by the newbie.. it takes no skill to have a large effect on the other players..  If he can't survive a "missun" with 100lb bombs then why bother to give him 1000 lb ones ??

Maybe if he had to earn em he wouldn't be so dweeby with em... if he wanted to be dweeby with em... well... so be it... he earned em.  At least the arena wouldn't be inundated with these guys like it is now.
lazs

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2003, 09:04:09 AM »
Auto ack is ok as is - weak enough that pilots can't hide in it but strong enough to discourage a 2nd bomb pass - but need to strengthen the manned ack emplacements to discourage the 1-pass wonder bombers by forcing them to stay at least 2.something distance away.

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2003, 10:22:00 AM »
Lazs,

Not all newbies fly the lala, and not all lala pilots are dweebs. And for me, the pork-n-auger guys are only one factor which spoils the arena. The horderollering and steamroller are worse. But they have resorted to their tactics because they realise that stealth does not pay dividends in this game. Bardar, flashing map, and "base under attack" have seen to that.

Offline DrDea

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2003, 10:39:24 AM »
This comversation comes up so often its like the La7 one.Futile to even bring up.The easy way to stop the jabo's is to have a few people defend the base.Ever try to manuver in a big fat 47 loaded to the gills with ord?Or a Hog?Its not easy,any competent pilot can kill a loaded JABO.Dieing in a JABO run is just as "Realistic"as going out and flying in furballs between 2 fields till you get nailed or rtb.It isnt about realism so much as having your idea of fun.Not everyone plays the same game.
The Flying Circus.Were just like you.Only prettier.

FSO 334 Flying Eagles. Fencers Heros.

Offline Apache

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2003, 10:55:54 AM »
Testing sig.

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2003, 11:40:33 AM »
While I like the idea of perking ordinance in principle, I think three things are not being given enough considerations:

1) A2A is hard, with a steep learning curve. Jabo is a relatively easy way for a newbie to feel he's accomplished something; and I don't think any one's going to persuade HTC to go too far against anything which hooks new blood.

2) A comon theme in this thread is that a) porking fuel is a gamey pain in the backside and that B) perking the big bombs may reduce this. While a) may be true; it only takes teeny eggs to pop fuel; perking the big eggs isn't the grail you're looking for.

3) La whines. love 'em. Proof of the cluelessness of La drivers is that it's the porker's jabo pur sang and never used as such. the ultimate pork delight is to come screaming in with a HEAVY LA 7 (and how often do you see that?); pork two fuels and get the hell out of dodge.

You can keep your Tiffs and 2 x 1K'ers.

Now what's the answer to that?

Offline qts

• Nickel Member
      • None yet
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2003, 01:33:42 PM »
I like the idea that was in another thread: destroying fuel tanks destroys fuel by volume, not by percentage. A field with half its fuel destroyed should be able to up a Lancaster with 50% fuel, but a C205 (which has much smaller tanks) with 100% fuel.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2003, 02:14:03 PM »
beetle... the steamrollering and gangbanging are a direct result of the timidity that the larger maps with their far apart fields have caused... the more you spread out the action the more timid the gameplay and the more people resort to late model planes and timid tactics.

drdea... what a great idea.... so long as i get to be supreme comander of all forces while I am on... I will then be able to make people do cap over fields while I have fun.... That way... I could have fun and negate suicide jabo morons at the same time...  It would have to work that way because otherwise no one would do it.

The only thing more boring than doing jabo is.... flying cap to prevent it.
lazs

Offline muckmaw

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2003, 02:25:12 PM »
So far, the only thing I can see working is the quad 50 idea.

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2003, 03:05:15 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
I have no problem with strengthened ack.

I would prefer that bombs over 100lbs be perked for jabo.  the amount could be easily adjusted to end suicide dweebs.   If they have no effect they will stop.  When they can't get their attention fix esily they find another way.  
lazs

my god i agree with laz :)

I need to go lay down.....

Offline tkor

• Copper Member
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2003, 03:20:08 PM »
MuckMaw writes:Remember how bad some people wanted the Stuka? How many organized Stuka raids have you seen on a field? I've yet to see one.

We did one or two, Muck, but they so dang slow and vulnerable we often got tore up by orbitting P51s on the way to our target. Besides, without that dive siren screaming in our ears on the bomb runs, it kind of takes the romance out of the Stuka! LOL ;)

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2003, 03:30:26 PM »
the only problem i can see is if we combine the increased AA positions with the 'bases closer together' request. in the end all we'll ever see is ack huggers as they wont have to run far.

I HAVE A SOLUTION!!! :)

As any sane person MUST realise NO base in WW2 put all their fuel in a huge drum and painted it white like in AH!! :)

The answer is to simulate the camoflage and various hiding places that they used During WW2. They used nets , fake painted buildings , underground supply depot's and all manner of tricks to hide their wepaons and supplies.

In AH we could simply add 4 or 5 UNDERGROUND fuel dumps which on the surface are not visible.
In order to hit the fuels you NEED to carpet bomb the ENTIRE area.
Take a jabo plane and drop and 1 time out of 100 you might hit a underground fuel but if you NEED to be SURE of destroying all the fuel you must use bombers and cover the base in craters in order to finally blow the last of the underground supplies. They would smoke same as now of course once hit.

This might mean HTC need to randomly place the fuels at each base whenever a new map is loaded but this sort of simulates the way the base personel WOULD try to hide their supplies.
Perhaps you could still have a small visible marker like a breather pipe or similar so GV's can find them if they are close enough.

what do you think? it could work couldnt it? :)

Offline MaddogJoe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2003, 03:32:22 PM »
The Quad idea is the best. As stated above, more ack won't help, exsample, CVgroups. But putting the manned guns up would give players the option  to save a base, just as it give players the option  to save a CV.

Alot of time people don't bother to try and save a CV, but when 4 or 5 get it in there mind that they need that Cv it takes alot to get past them. I think the same would hold true with field guns and stopping the porkers. Sure some will still get thru, but it will be alot harder for them.

The new bombing mode is what really brings this to the for front. Yes it does work if you have the time and patience to get it right. Unfortunatly I don't think that many have the time to learn it. I know I don't. Maybe a loosining on the calibration settings to make it a bit easyer to hit consistantly. I'm not talking about going back to the old way... that was too easy, but a happy middle ground. Hard enough for the "hard cord" buff pilots, but easy enough for the "masses" HT is trying to attract to get hits. I know a number of people that have quit due to the new bombing method.

Maddog Joe

Offline DrDea

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2003, 05:07:33 PM »
Why not just manned 5 inch flack like on the CV'sThat would actually be a blast.They could be used that if no one is in it it doesnt work on auto
The Flying Circus.Were just like you.Only prettier.

FSO 334 Flying Eagles. Fencers Heros.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2003, 06:01:56 PM »
Muck ya fergot one--fighters that orbit 10k above base and kill jabos (read--La7)--anyhow..makin strats harder to kill or more numerous is moot--2 Tiffs can erase ack and VH at medium field in about 90 seconds...then the swarm following will vulch and kill strats with ease--Acks gotta be harder to kill than the 5 .50's rounds from a P51 that are required now----now the 5"ers manned on the field..THAT would work..ESP if their toughness equated with, say, an FH.--(If I had a nickel for every 5" mission that netted me 10 kills or better..I'd still be hopelessy in debt...but I could buy heap better laptop!)
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/