Author Topic: Just out of curiosity...  (Read 2954 times)

Offline GrimCO

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.GrimsReapers.com
Just out of curiosity...
« Reply #105 on: June 06, 2003, 02:37:18 PM »
Hey there Iron,

I finally found a decent website that paints a fairly good picture of why there is no center to the Universe.

It explains it a lot better than I can! LOL

Here ya go...

Center of the Universe

Offline boxboy28

• Gold Member
      • http://none
Just out of curiosity...
« Reply #106 on: June 06, 2003, 02:45:05 PM »
and i love it when people say there is no other possible life forms out there , or that theres no way they could have visited us!

So Grimmy  you believe in Aliens?:D
^"^Nazgul^"^    fly with the undead!
Jaxxo got nice tata's  and Lyric is Andre the giant with blond hair!

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
Just out of curiosity...
« Reply #107 on: June 06, 2003, 02:45:42 PM »
Originally posted by AKIron
Maybe center wasn't the right word to use. Using cartesian coordinates we should be able to determine the point, relative to our current position, from which we have traveled since the big bang.

We haven't moved, relative to us.  We have moved relative to AlphaCenturi, which hasn't moved relative to it, but has moved relative to us.

Your train of thought is similar to the determinsts who ruled physics prior to General Relativity.

They postulated that ether was the medium through which light waves traveled, and ether was unmoving in the master coordinate system of the universe.  General relativity replaced  these theories with the mind benders of today.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Just out of curiosity...
« Reply #108 on: June 06, 2003, 02:48:30 PM »
That's pretty cool Grim. Hadn't considered it like that before. Thanks for the link.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Just out of curiosity...
« Reply #109 on: June 06, 2003, 02:49:54 PM »
You're right Holden, but I think it's beginning to sink in.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline crowMAW

• Silver Member
Just out of curiosity...
« Reply #110 on: June 06, 2003, 02:57:58 PM »
Originally posted by GrimCO
What freaked them out was that there were a few electrons which arrived at the other end, and didn't slow down at all. Some in fact, appeared to have exceeded the speed of light which is impossible given the physics of our universe. The only explanation was that these electrons disappeared and rematerialized on the other side of the lead block instantly.

Grim...fascinating stuff.  I'm not a physicist (thank god ;) ), but here are a couple of questions:  Are they sure that the same electrons that were fired were the ones that came out?  Similar to the way that sound travels through a cascading set of collisions started by the initially excited molecules, is it possible that the electrons that were fired caused a similar chain so that the electron exiting the block was not the originally fired electron?  And the next question is going to sound really dumb, but is based on the last...similar to the way the speed of sound increases as the density of the medium increases, is it possible that it appears that the electron exceeded the speed of light by the same principle?

As far as the question of where the universe comes from...well, I wasn't there...didn't see it...I don't think anyone on this forum was there either.  I've read a couple of books on the subject.  One forces me to believe in a supernatural character...I stopped believing in Santa Clause, the Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny, ghosts, and goblins when I grew up.  The others pre-suppose that there is or has been a human being smart enough to figure out all the complexities of the universe.  I think I'll just stick to the concept that the universe just IS and I'm kinda glad that it IS and will more than likely continue to BE for the duration of my life.

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Just out of curiosity...
« Reply #111 on: June 06, 2003, 03:00:36 PM »
Check out Drakes Equation for the likelyhood that we are not alone.

Here is a calulator that is

Pretty cool!

Offline cajun

• Silver Member
Just out of curiosity...
« Reply #112 on: June 06, 2003, 03:09:28 PM »
Originally posted by AKS\/\/ulfe
There doesn't HAVE to be a god, there CAN be a god.

But why does there have to be a beginning?

Beginning, end, time, creation - all things humans created to explain their surroundings.

Why is it so unplausible to say that it always was and always will be, a circle that has no beginning and no end- was never created and always will be.

If you say "well it had to be created", then you lose your argument of a god- what created god?

And then the infinite circle begins again.
-SW

Ok I skipped alot of this thread, but I found this post and the posts leading up to it very interesting and I just wanted to comment.

This is exactly true, there was no begginning weather you believe in god or not.
Now something I have noticed by observing is, theorys that are usuelly true, hrm how do I explain this, apply to everything I guess... thats really not a good explination at all.  But anyway...

We are "programmed" to think beggining, end , beggining end, I've always said this. Thats because we observe our surroundings, which are the only things we can refer to.

Now by observing our surroundings, we see, hey things tend to evolve right!? So there comes the theory of evolution, and based on what we see its actuelly a very intelligent and good theory.

However, its not right, no more than it is to say there was a beggining.  We observed our surroundings and said, well look at this we evolve, like we observed our surroundings and said hey look at this everyone is born and then dies, everything is born and then dies so there must always be a beginning and an end!

You can't understand the world today, without first understanding the world of yesterday. Now, how do you expect to find out the world of yesterday by observing the world today?
As always, people don't study history so they make the same mistakes over and over.

That is why, the study of the creation of the world no matter what it is cannot be called a science , it is a history and only a history.

I don't think I did a good job explaining myself, I just can't really figure out how to word what I'm thinking... Anyway perhaps someone out there really understands what I'm trying to say lol.

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
Just out of curiosity...
« Reply #113 on: June 06, 2003, 03:11:44 PM »
well put Crow and I agree

I'm not too much into spending all my energies on trying to figure something out that is probably un-knowable by my and certainly is un-witnessable (is that a word?) by me..
it isn't like I can do anything about any of that stuff if it were to adversely affect me.. cripes.

what's on TV ?

Offline GrimCO

• Nickel Member
Just out of curiosity...
« Reply #114 on: June 07, 2003, 08:09:57 AM »
Originally posted by boxboy28
and i love it when people say there is no other possible life forms out there , or that theres no way they could have visited us!

So Grimmy  you believe in Aliens?:D

Well I certainly believe there is a possibility that there is life elsewhere in the Universe. Intelligent life? Slightly possible. Have we been visited by Aliens? I don't think so.

I know proponents of Aliens use the argument that there are billions of stars, and many of those stars have planets revolving around them. Initially, this would appear to be a valid argument for the Universe teeming with life. What they forget is that it takes much more than a planet the correct distance from it's Sun to sustain life.

Let's say there's a billion planets out there the correct distance from their Sun to not be too hot or too cold to sustain life. Now we have to find one that rotates off axis the correct amount of degrees to allow a change of seasons. Otherwise the planet would become too hot or too cold because it would not regulate it's own temperature. The Earth's axis is tilted due to a collision with another planet during the early formation of the solar system. This collision is also what created the Moon.

So let's say one tenth of the original billion planets have this perfect off axis rotation. Now we're down to 100 million planets.

Next, this planet would have to have a Moon nearly identical in size and distance to ours. The moon causes tidal forces on the earth not only with the oceans, but with the molten magma beneath the surface. This regulates volcanic activity. Too few volcanoes, and we'd have no atmosphere. Too many, and we'd have an amosphere like Venus full of toxic fumes and greenhouse gasses. Again making the planet too hot to sustain life.

Let's say one tenth of the planets have a Moon the correct size and distance to regulate volcanic activity. Now we're down to 10 million planets.

Next, these remaining 10 million planets would have to have a massive planet like Jupiter in their orbit. Jupiter acts like a big vacuum cleaner and sweeps up the majority of debris that was left behind during the initial creation of the solar system. Billions of years ago, Earth was continually bombarded by collisions with huge asteriods. Just look at the craters on the moon. Earth's surface looked pretty much the same until it formed an atmosphere and Jupiter's gravity swept up the majority of debris. Again, this massive planet would have to be the correct distance from the Earthlike planet to accomplish this.

Let's say a tenth of these planets have a Jupiterlike planet the correct distance away. Now we're down to 1 million planets.

All these factors combined with other factors I'm probably not even aware of dramitically decreases the odds on there being another Earthlike planet. The fact that we're here is completely against all odds.

Is there another planet that somehow beat the odds? Possibly so. However, even if there were intelligent life elsewhere, it's probably so far away that it could never reach us. With over 300 billion galaxies in the Universe with 300 billion stars in each of them, where would they even know to look for us?

Offline GrimCO

• Nickel Member
Just out of curiosity...
« Reply #115 on: June 07, 2003, 08:28:38 AM »
Originally posted by crowMAW
Grim...fascinating stuff.  I'm not a physicist (thank god ;) ), but here are a couple of questions:  Are they sure that the same electrons that were fired were the ones that came out?  Similar to the way that sound travels through a cascading set of collisions started by the initially excited molecules, is it possible that the electrons that were fired caused a similar chain so that the electron exiting the block was not the originally fired electron?  And the next question is going to sound really dumb, but is based on the last...similar to the way the speed of sound increases as the density of the medium increases, is it possible that it appears that the electron exceeded the speed of light by the same principle?

They're positive it's not an electron being knocked off the lead block. The lead is much to dense to allow a single electron fired at it to continually knock off electrons through the entire block. Each collision loses energy rapidly and is almost immediately absorbed.

Well, electrons have mass. Any object with mass can't achieve the speed of light let alone exceed it. As an object accellerates closer to the speed of the light, it's mass and density increase. Upon reaching light speed it's mass would become infinite and there wouldn't be enough energy in the entire universe to propel a single electron to light speed due to it's infinte mass. This is precisely why they were so stunned...
« Last Edit: June 07, 2003, 08:51:12 AM by GrimCO »

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Just out of curiosity...
« Reply #116 on: June 07, 2003, 10:38:48 AM »
Where are they? - Scientific American
sand

Offline GrimCO

• Nickel Member
Just out of curiosity...
« Reply #117 on: June 07, 2003, 09:50:00 PM »
They're not here....LOL

Offline DrDea

• Gold Member
Just out of curiosity...
« Reply #118 on: June 07, 2003, 11:15:43 PM »
"First there was nothing...
Then it exploded. "

Actually that was Gods Chevy.He was trying some new Alpha Ray Ray wave plasma gas and well...you all know how Ray Ray gets.
  I believe theres something out there,buit not anything we have the slightest chance of comprehending.Mazz does have a kick bellybutton Icon there.Maby hes god
The Flying Circus.Were just like you.Only prettier.

FSO 334 Flying Eagles. Fencers Heros.

Offline GrimCO

• Nickel Member
Just out of curiosity...
« Reply #119 on: June 08, 2003, 08:51:19 AM »
Nice Avatar DrDea,

I've had Collies my entire life. GREAT dogs.