Author Topic: No Greater Wisdom Hath A Man.....  (Read 345 times)

Offline Rude

• Platinum Member
No Greater Wisdom Hath A Man.....
« on: June 04, 2003, 08:35:10 AM »
named Lazs!

All this time consistently preaching the ethics of close engagement and constructive use of one's online time....closer fields you say?

Not just yes, but hell yes!!!

Myself along with some squaddies ended up in the CT the other night due to the darkness in the MA....don't recall what terrrain, but the fields were very close....I could see the enemy field just after takeoff.

The fighting was consistent and fun....we had a blast.

I don't think that the entire MA maps should be like this, however, it would be nice to arrange them in a similar way so as to allow those like Lazs and others to get busy quickly.

I wonder if anyone ever pays attention at HTC to these boards anymore...hi Roy:)

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2003, 08:48:08 AM »
Yep... they call me "mr obvious".. I have flown ct setups like this.

Note that there were allmost 100 guys in the ct last night and that the plane sets were very well matched despite them being allied vs axis....

So... what made it fun?   action.. the ability for choice in action... you could take off in sight of the other field or cv or... sectors away.   you could kill the fields but there wer plenty more to choose from and the action moved back and forth more because of the closeness of the fields...  

parity... not a lot of late war planes looking for early war planes to cherry pick.  (early war area in MA would fix the MA)

variety... well... for axis vs allied.. it did have some useful variety... would be even better without the axis vs allied thing tho.
lazs

Offline Rude

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2003, 08:52:53 AM »
Yep....sadly, I just don't think anyones listening...the priority is not to please old farts....those days are long gone.

Cyas up tonight ya old fart:)

Offline Lazerus

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2003, 10:35:48 AM »
I think the point to be taken here is that there is already a place that has all the things that are being asked for, and you guys found it the other night.

I sincerely hope you have many enjoyable hours in your new arena.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2003, 11:41:29 AM »
well... then I guess the real point is that some people don't get it and that me repeating myself is necessary...

There is no fool proof "place"... the ct 90% of the time is not useable by furballers... note the ct numbers as proof.   The ct is allied vs axis and it is difficult in the extreme to make for parity... fudging won't even do it (fm2 as buffalo substitute for instance).   The CT could become a "place" to go but it would need to dump the allied vs axis angle for variety and parity.   It would also need to make sure that all the maps had some close fields or cv's (something not currently happening)

All that was "proven" was that closer fields work.   Perhaps the new infinityu map will have closer fields as promised and that will be the real test..

but yes... if they make a good ct setup their numbers go up.   I am sure that if they made a better MA setup the numbers would go up.
lazs

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2003, 12:07:00 PM »
Heya Otto.  Geez,..let a man get his coffee.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline najdorf

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2003, 12:40:57 PM »
I disagree with ya on this one lazs, I think the CT is a great place to furball.  You don't get the massive ones you get in the MA, but there are some very intense fights.

I think the limited plane set helps, not hinders.  It keeps the fight from being dominated by one type of plane and you don't have the problem of having certain types of planes that completely dominate others.  The CM's do a very good job of keeping balance in mind when filling out the plane set.  

In the present CT you have P-47's, F4u1's, and Hellcats that are good matches for N1k's and Ki61's.  Then you have FM2's that are good matches for zekes.

There's not nearly as much JABO suicide dweebery in the CT.  Biggest problem the CT has during PTO's is ack getting in the way of furballing.  But I almost never run into the problem of fuel being porked.

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2003, 01:23:49 PM »
I'll just repeat a map layout i described that i think would give this sort of mix of fighting to a map.

It was based around a map with 6 or 7 capitals and around each capital there are a few big bases and factories then as you get further from the capital you get smaller but more numerous bases and a few small cities.

this gives a sort of frontline feel to maps where you can go for a quick fight in the areas where each capital area meets or go for long distance fights flying from the large bases over the frontline to the next capital.

I did a drawing of it and I think it would really work well.Unfortunately i cant built maps :(

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
      • http://bellsouthpwp.net/w/o/wotans/4JG53/
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2003, 01:50:59 PM »
You still run into bore and zzzzzzzzzzz'rs but its rare. When ya do just call umm on it and head else where.

The problem early on was the cv admirals would sail their cvs too close and they would get sunk quick. They realized they cant keep in the fight very long doing this so the cvs are now placed where they can be close to the action and not be sunk to quickly.

This set up (Okinawa) is one of the best. Kanttori made a great playable map. Brady set everything up perfectly.

I have mostly ij planes and some of those a6m5 vrs FM2s were friggin awesome.

So... what made it fun? action.. the ability for choice in action... you could take off in sight of the other field or cv or... sectors away. you could kill the fields but there wer plenty more to choose from and the action moved back and forth more because of the closeness of the fields...

parity... not a lot of late war planes looking for early war planes to cherry pick.

Spot on.