Author Topic: I need help  (Read 505 times)

Offline MSG

• Zinc Member
I need help
« on: June 10, 2003, 03:19:02 AM »
A few months ago I bought a joystick, some people tried to help me with some problems I was having with the joystick, nothing worked so I returned it. Now here is my problem, when I try to take off my plane goes to the left or right and flips and crashes. I went to select joystick and changed it to my mouse, so that isn't the problem. I tried to get help for this problem months ago but couldn't get anyone to help, so I quit cause I was so frustrated. I want to play again, any help would be appreciated. Thx:cool: .

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
I need help
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2003, 04:17:44 AM »
Sounds like engine torque.  When you take off, gradually give it throttle, don't slam it to full and use your rudders to keep you straight as you do your take off roll.  Or you can use the auto-take off feature.  Just bring up your clip board in game, click on the Settings button, then on the Flight button and select the Auto-Take Off option.   You'll now take off automatically without any user input needed.

Ack-Ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline BigMax

• Gold Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
I need help
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2003, 07:15:33 AM »
Auto take-off... Try it.  Once you begin flying, see what it does.  If you can fly okay, then it's just your technique.

There are stall limiters that you can turn on in the Training Arena until you get a handle on the torque.  Or, shoot me an email and I'll setup a time to do some 1 on 1 with you.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
I need help
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2003, 11:11:15 AM »
What joystick did you buy ?

The MicroSoft SideWinder is probably one of the simplest sticks to deploy in Aces High. I believe that is the stick that Shane uses and has sent his AH joystick file to many people and they have all had good results using it.

I would suggest that you try the joystick route again, the mouse is to limiting and I don't believe that you will ever be able to duplicate the moves needed to be a successful dogfighter using the mouse (I could be wrong).
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
I need help
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2003, 01:16:35 PM »
I tend to agree that a joystick is essential in AH.  I know a couple of people who use a mouse as their primary control but none of them can follow half the maneuvers you can do with a joystick.  There is no need to spend large amounts of money on a stick either though, I know a large number of people in AH use simple Microsoft twisty sticks of one variation or another.

Using auto-takeoff is a good idea, I think most people use it all the time anyway until they speed up on the runway.  The other thing is to try a plane like the P-38 or Bf110, with counter rotating engines.  This eliminates almost all the torque effects.  I sometimes get players using a mouse to take the P-38 out instead of another plane simply for that reason.

-Soda
Aces High Trainer Corps
The Assassins.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
I need help
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2003, 04:44:01 PM »
Originally posted by Soda
...or Bf110, with counter rotating engines.  This eliminates almost all the torque effects.  .

-Soda
Aces High Trainer Corps
The Assassins.

bf110 has counter-rotating props too?  I must be doing something wrong when I fly it because I swear it suffers from engine torque.

Ack-Ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline MSG

• Zinc Member
I need help
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2003, 08:30:45 PM »
The thing is, I have never had any problems like this until after I switched back to a mouse. I used a mouse before I bought the Logitech Wireless and I never had a problem like this before.
 I do use auto-take off, as soon as I get in my plane the auto-take off light is on (the red light) but after a couple seconds (3 at the most) it shuts off without me touching any keys or the mouse.
 When I am taking off the plane always goes to the left or right, even if I am not in the air. The same happens when I am in a vehicle. If I can get this problem figured out I will buy a joystick, not sure which one though:confused: .

Offline Dennis

• Nickel Member
I need help
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2003, 09:06:17 PM »
I'm guessing you've got a calibration problem.
At least it sounds like the same problem I had when I first started.

Did/have you calibrated your stick first in Windoz then in the AH calibration utility in setup?

I/we can walk you through it step-by-step if you haven't -- although I'm kind of fuzzy on the mouse calibration thing...

Splash1

Offline MSG

• Zinc Member
I need help
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2003, 11:50:52 PM »
Originally posted by Dennis
I'm guessing you've got a calibration problem.
At least it sounds like the same problem I had when I first started.

Did/have you calibrated your stick first in Windoz then in the AH calibration utility in setup?

I/we can walk you through it step-by-step if you haven't -- although I'm kind of fuzzy on the mouse calibration thing...

Splash1

Yes, I calibrated my stick first in Windows. The problem I was having with the stick is it wouldn't calibrate right. When I went to calibrate it, the crosshair in the center of the box (the calibration box) would jump from side to side with a tap of the joystick, you couldn't get it to stay in the middle. I tried moving the settings on everything up and down and nothing would work. I think this is where my problem is at with the mouse. The joystick would always pull the plane to one side because I couldn't get it to calibrate right...so maybe the problem went to my mouse also:confused: .
 The joystick worked when I first got it but the plane bounced back and forth like it does with a mouse...I was told to calibrate it in the game and that would fix the bouncing problem, it hasn't been the same sence ;).
Btw - Thx for all of the help so far:cool: .

Offline Nwbie

• Gold Member
I need help
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2003, 12:57:54 PM »
Sounds like your stick is spiking, I had that problem with my old stick - the pots were shot,
Look at the stick in the AH setup, if you get sudden spikes in the window - either the stick is no good or you may even be having an IRQ problem with sharing the same port
If it is a gentle movement - you need to play with the damper sliders on the right til get an even line
Lots of people use a gentle curve from top to bottom, I have a straight line and all my sliders are to the top, with the dampers up maybe 1/8 inch
Works fine for my MS Sidewinder

Good Luck

NwBie
Skuzzy-- "Facts are slowly becoming irrelevant in favor of the nutjob."