Author Topic: Bombing?  (Read 530 times)

Offline WhiteHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Bombing?
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2003, 06:53:48 AM »
Yes zroostr, I have remapped all my buttons so I cant use specific buttons,

After your doors open and speed stabilized, and you click on the target on the map to set your target alt,

in calibration mode, take the crosshairs straight ahed.  It is not critical what point you focus on, but I go about halfway between my planes and the target.  use your stick to keep the crosshairs on a point  as steady as posssible.  Your crosshairs should appear to be motionless with respect to the ground.  Press the calibration button .Keep the motioneless crosshairs focused for as long as you can, but dont let the crosshairs pass under your planes.  If you get alot of herky jerky stuff, you can redo it.  Exit calibration mode and start again.  It take practice and patience.  Once your satisfied with the motionlessness of the crosshairs, release the calibration button.  But dont move the joystick until the button is released.  Im not sure but I thinl the last cupple seconds of calibraton are critical.  Now you are ready to drop.

The whole key here is consistancy.   I am consistantly short with my drops, so I aim long.  If I set my crosshairs on the edge of a city, usually 2 bombs hit before the city, sometimes 1, sometimes i am right on the money, but I am never long anymore.  Thats the whole key.  keep your routine consistant, and you will become consistant.  Then you can start to fine tune.  

Hint.  If you are going for a base near the coast, waste one bomb on the shoprline (if you have enuff time to see your bombs hit before you pass over the target) to check if you are long or short.  If you see you are long, you can adjust your drop to compensate and similarly if you are short.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2003, 06:56:12 AM by WhiteHawk »

Offline GunnerCAF

• Silver Member
      • Gunner's Grange
Bombing?
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2003, 01:32:22 PM »
Here is the results of a drop from 3 formations of Lancs.  I hit the left side, 20K, with a cross wind, at full throttle.

To get your calibration set, hold the Y key for a good 30 seconds and only release it when you get the ground stops drifting under your cursor.

To get good coverage of your target, you need to experiment with bomb size delay and salvo.  I like 500 lb bombs.

For good calibration practice, go to the TA, or off line with the bomb sight helper on.  Get up to alt and fly over the water.  Calibrate, then check to see how close the green x and your cross hairs are.  You do not even have to drop a bomb for this practice.  Keep doing this until you get good consistant calibrations.  Next do some turns and see how this effects your calibration.  Also do this at high alt with a cross wind.

Good luck,

Gunner
Gunner
Cactus Air Force

Offline mia389

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Bombing?
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2003, 11:02:15 AM »
wow nice drop i rember those days"-). I got a new joystick and I have a harder time keeping my crosshairs still when calibrating

Offline zroostr

• Copper Member
Bombing?
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2003, 01:15:55 PM »
Nice 1 gunner. ;)

For me I'm getting closer now but I'm still a bit off. My misses still exceed my hits. With more practice tho I know I'll get it cuz now I'm just missing whereas before I was way off. One other thing that would be helpful is the salvo. How do I set that?

Offline GunnerCAF

• Silver Member
      • Gunner's Grange
Bombing?
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2003, 12:26:27 AM »
One other thing that would be helpful is the salvo. How do I set that?

Type ".salvo #"   where # is the number of bombs you want to drop.

.salvo 12

Would drop 12 bombs when you press the button.  Try different delays ".delay .4" as an example.  They would drop each bomb .4 seconds apart.  With the right combination, your bombs will walk across the target destroying everything in its path :)  

Gunner
Gunner
Cactus Air Force

Offline GunnerCAF

• Silver Member
      • Gunner's Grange
Bombing?
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2003, 12:33:30 AM »
I got a new joystick and I have a harder time keeping my crosshairs still when calibrating

MIA, what kind of joystick do you have?  Some..not many.. joystick let you adjust sensitivity.  You could adjust your stick settings to make your stick less sensitive.

I have a Cougar and have a setup for bombing that trims the stick when I am calibrating.  By turning a dial, I can fine tune my calibration.  I also use another stick.  With a steady hand, I can hold the crosshairs still.

Gunner
Gunner
Cactus Air Force

Offline bfreek

• Copper Member
Bombing?
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2003, 11:41:57 PM »
didnt know there were bombers in the game, guess thats what makes them lines of holes across the countryside near bases.

:)