Author Topic: A real life WW2 pilot's thoughts on vulching  (Read 3458 times)

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
A real life WW2 pilot's thoughts on vulching
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2003, 06:45:14 PM »
Originally posted by hyena426
from the fighter books i have read,,vulching and head ons were the best tatic for usa planes,,,ill have to dig up the book,,

At 2 conventions I have asked WWII fighter pilots about headons. The initial response from both was a look of dumbfounded shock. One did admit to getting a Zero kill with a headon...it was the only shot he got and he took it :).

As long as there is no "death penalty", headons will be around. But, hey...it's the MA...deal with it :D.
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline osage

• Nickel Member
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2003, 07:01:52 PM »
One of the more spectacular real-life vulches occured during a raid on a Japanese airfield in the Pacific.  One of a P-38 pilot's bombs went long and fell into the nearby ocean.  The explosion threw up a massive plume of water.

A Zeke that had just taken off flew right into it.  The Lightning pilot got credit for the kill, which was witnessed by several others.

Offline zroostr

• Copper Member
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2003, 09:24:04 PM »
Originally posted by NoBaddy

As long as there is no "death penalty", headons will be around. But, hey...it's the MA...deal with it :D.

Well said.

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2003, 07:49:34 PM »
Vulching is fun.  I figure any pilot trying to up under fire is just going to pull a HO or do a suicidal dash on the town trying to kill troops... so poppin'em makes it all the better.

...as for HO's, they suck, but it's valid.  The only bad part about HO's in the game is that 99% of them would never happen if the (either) pilot knew he wouldn't get to replane 2 seconds after he died.  Make a sim a game, and you'll get gamers
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Ozark

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2003, 08:59:31 PM »
Originally posted by TW9
No, its the officiall ted williams site... I added site as sig so if anyone was interested they could get info of the guy i dedicated my callsign to.. :) ..

Nice. :)

Williams, Stan the Man and the Mantle!

My best Baseball memory is skipping school to watch Bob Gibson throw a World Series-record 17 strikeouts in 68. :)

Back to Strafing:
The moment an aircraft is ready to fly It’s kill or be killed. If you have ammo in a flyable aircraft, you’re a target.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2003, 09:22:59 PM by Ozark »

Offline CornGiveAway

• Zinc Member
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2003, 11:18:52 PM »
First 262 engaged by a Amercan fighter was made in a fighter from what FG?(last fighter group to join 8AF,last kill of 8AF)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2003, 11:45:27 PM »
Originally posted by Corn
First 262 engaged by a Amercan fighter was made in a fighter from what FG?(last fighter group to join 8AF,last kill of 8AF)

479th Fighter Group - Sept. 1944

479th FG was also home to the 8th AF's 17th highest ranking ace, Robin Olds, with 24 victories (9 in the P-38, 8th AF top P-38 ace) and 15 in the P-51D.  Zemke was even the C.O. briefly so he could have a chance to chuck the Jug for the Mustang.  But then you already knew that Corn

Ack-Ack
479th Fighter Group - Riddle's Raiders
« Last Edit: June 23, 2003, 04:24:07 AM by Ack-Ack »
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2003, 02:36:10 AM »
Originally posted by osage
One of the more spectacular real-life vulches occured during a raid on a Japanese airfield in the Pacific.  One of a P-38 pilot's bombs went long and fell into the nearby ocean.  The explosion threw up a massive plume of water.

A Zeke that had just taken off flew right into it.  The Lightning pilot got credit for the kill, which was witnessed by several others.

First kill in 5th AF by a P38.
Nov 24, 1942, over Lae.
P38 pilot: Lt. Robert Faurot.
Coment from CO Gen. George Kenney "I want you to shoot them down, not splash water on them!"

lol

Offline Rude

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2003, 09:59:38 AM »
Honor is for the LW guys....the rest of us enjoy vulching.

Offline myelo

• Silver Member
Re: my $0.02
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2003, 10:21:02 AM »
Originally posted by rshubert
I think vulching is fun, when I'm the vulcher, and a real drag, when I'm the vulchee

I suspect the WW II pilots that got vulched thought it was a bummer as well. The difference is the vulchers didn't have to listen to the whining.
myelo
Bastard coated bastard, with a creamy bastard filling

Offline Sarge

• Copper Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/soundpge/index.html
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2003, 07:01:14 AM »
Originally posted by JB42
"In RL, there was a simple rule often adhered to. Over friendly territory, you let him live. Hopefully he is captured and interrogated. Over enemy territory thumbs up on the kill. No sense in letting him up again to try to kill you another day.

(Just wanted to add this about real life. civilians should not think about what military does and why they do it.. Civ's just go by what was told to them or what they read ...
Dont know about that rule. must of missed it in training. Letting the enemy run around in friendly terroritory dont think that would be good idea either, why he is running around gathrering Information then trying to kill who ever he can to get back to his line to report it, we are talking the Germans and Japanese from those days . they were murderous fanatical killers.  "that hopefully getting captured would cost lives. Downed pilots had one thing in mind what they were trained to do as we were in the Infantry ESCAPE by all means)

in game

This game is a game no one should really care who shoots who or how.. You get shot down they get shot down , Why cry about it.. the Chute shooting in game i do it when they land at base and stay, to me they are game spys giving info about where gv s are and letting thier country know where everything is at field . shooting chutes in the air ,

this is what i dont understand, from a grown up to boot

I was in P47 had ten rkts and 2 1000 lbrs. I cant fly those type planes in A2A but i can use them for taking a vh and such  I took out the hanger and in 3 passes took out a m16 and a flak pnzer in rockets about 2k.. then next thing i know in text some one said i was full of Bull S*** cause they died.. first thing that came to mind.. That we are grown ups and what the hell is that about in text

And if you get shot down dont type in text excuses a lot of these players will never just go down and reup quietly , they have to tell you why you killed them but it will never be because you did. they will type a bunch of lame reasons just to try to deny you of it.. and to tell thier freinds that it wasnt really you that shot him down. "It was.... you were lucking the only reason you got the kill was casue i did not have any wings and tail and  fuel and was bingo on ammo and had Pilot wound. other than that it was just a lucky shot...

i tell when i get killed when it is really stupid. like well i cant fly like a real pilot i just try what i can to get out and away from bullets. . i hate when i do these fancy things to just like crash into ground or hangers or side of mountains.. Or when i come in thinking i am real cool in p38 and find out about the word compression in air craft ..lol or when i up a plain dive bomb onhanger to find out i dropped two fuel tanks and got killed by ack.. Or my favorite one that gets me all the time. taking off forgetting to put gear up .. fly here this bang and look all over for someone shooting at me to look at dash and see yellow lights under the word Gear... games are like this to be fun not taken hard and lose sleep over it..

Ok done

(Typo cops if you see any mistakes dont write and tell the world just  fix it for me) typos i could care less about i have 20 years of screwing up on keyboards to earn typo awards

Offline rc51

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2003, 12:09:44 PM »
i like to vulch cause it really pisses people off:D

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2003, 04:47:13 PM »
Originally posted by NoBaddy
At 2 conventions I have asked WWII fighter pilots about headons. The initial response from both was a look of dumbfounded shock. One did admit to getting a Zero kill with a headon...it was the only shot he got and he took it :).

Not that I condone maneuvering for the head on shot (I think it's a stupid tactic, low rate of survivability, high rate of damage, etc.) but it was interesting to read that Bong did like to make head on passes against Zeros and Zekes in BnZ slash attacks, while McGuire favored maneuvering for a six kill or snap/deflection shot on a BnZ slash attack.

Ack-Ack

Offline BGBMAW

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2003, 05:08:04 PM »
FIRST SALUTE TO U eARL..MUCH RESPECT..

stupid caps

2nd..i love the vulch...but i always try to let the  little guys atleat get there geare in....you know why?? cuase they wil continue to up cause they think they have  a chance::D...ooo ilove this game..

btw i only reAD the first posts..

salute
BiGB

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2003, 06:05:48 PM »
Originally posted by BGBMAW
but i always try to let the  little guys atleat get there geare in....you know why?? cuase they wil continue to up cause they think they have  a chance:
salute
BiGB

Same here.  I prefer to let them get their wheels off the ground before vulching them.  One reason is psychological because you're giving them the false security and hope that they might actually be able to take off only to dash it by blowing them out of the sky as soon as they wheels get off the ground.  The other reason is because you're more likely to get the kill since once their wheels are up and you blow of a wing or something, at that slow speed they'll just roll over and go BOOM and if you do it while they're still rolling on the runway, there's always the chance they can just stop the plane and exit out, wasting your valuable ammo.

ack-ack