Author Topic: Black Screen crash on exit  (Read 220 times)

Offline SkyGnome

• Copper Member
Black Screen crash on exit
« on: June 19, 2003, 10:32:20 PM »
When I exit AH or Alt-Tab out, I now get a black screen hang.  This started today.

System has worked flawlessly for months, no new software or hardware for some time.  Other software seems fine & Alt-tabs fine.

Is it just me?

Offline SkyGnome

• Copper Member
More observations
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2003, 10:42:13 PM »
Offline works fine.  CT, MA, and Training all fail.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Black Screen crash on exit
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2003, 08:43:37 AM »
Try this experiment;  Go to the Aces High installation directory on your hard drive (default: C:\Program Files\HTC\Aces High), and move the "settings" folder to another name.
When you restart Aces High, it will act like a new install.  See if that corrects the problem.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline spiffykraits

• Copper Member
      • http://home.clara.net/spiff
Re: Black Screen crash on exit
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2003, 01:44:29 PM »
Originally posted by SkyGnome
When I exit AH or Alt-Tab out, I now get a black screen hang.  This started today.

System has worked flawlessly for months, no new software or hardware for some time.  Other software seems fine & Alt-tabs fine.

Is it just me?

Follow these steps

Re-install DirectX8.1 or 9 first, whichever you are using.
Delete the file video7.cfg (ONLY this one file) which you will find in your HTC AH "settings" folder which controls video settings in the game. Moving and saving the settings folder elsewhere would update all settings as a new install, but the above file is the only one that should be causing the problem.
AH should now redetect your video settings and it generates a new video7.cfg file when you restart it, so don't worry about deleting it :)

If that doesn't fix it, set your desktop resolution to the same setting and resolution that you run in the game, and see if that works. Sometimes it won't switch properly if the normal desktop and game res and refresh rates are very much different to each other. If you change settings for video, always re-run the video settings button when you start AH, so the vid file updates your new setting.

If it still causes the same problem , re-install your current video driver and re-run the directX install again after.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2003, 01:51:46 PM by spiffykraits »

Offline SkyGnome

• Copper Member
Problem gone
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2003, 04:35:36 PM »
Reinstalled everything, reset video, sacrificed a few live roosters.  Seems to work now.

Muchos gracias for the suggestions!