Author Topic: Summarzing the ground troop idea  (Read 244 times)

Offline acepilot2

• Silver Member
Summarzing the ground troop idea
« on: June 24, 2003, 01:25:15 PM »
I have posted little bits of this thread all over the forum, but I decided to put all my thoughts into one thread.  Now, I do not  have my hopes up for playing the role of infantry in AH2, but if HTC decides to do it, this is what I would like to see and my thoughts.  It would be cool to see a fps part added to AH.

-First off, If HTC implemented the ground troop role it would attract tons of all those Medal Of Honor: Allied Assault players and such.  This would make HTC tons of money.

-When playing as an infantryman, I would really like to see it be like a game called America's Army: Operations.  This game was made by the United States Army itself.  It is most certainly one of the most realistic First Person Shooters I have ever played.  Not just graphically, but if you are prone, you will have more accuracy,
if you are running, you will have less accuracy, and stuff like that. You cannot sprint at full speed with your weapon drawn out.  If anyone has played or seen it, you know what I mean. It limits weapons too, so not everyone is running around with a sniper rifle.

-Weapon limits.  The factories in the current AH should directly effect the availablity of certain weapons like BARs, Stg44s, and sniper rifles.  By bombing these factories, not as many soldiers can have these weapons.  Maybe these could effect a weapon ratio like for every 15 men one gets a sniper rifle.  If it is bomb, for every 50 men one gets a sniper rifle, etc.

-Vehicles and planes.  Infantrymen should be able to load up a c47 or vehicle, then drop out of it.  

-A "convoy."  This would reduce the amount of time soldiers spend marching to the base.  These are like land-based CVs, composed of trucks and tanks.  A soldier can spawn from these convoys.

-Platoons/squads.  Instead of having some 100 players make a single assault on a base, each human player will be a squad leader that commands 5 to 15 AI characters.  (Of course this is optional)  These AI characters would tag along and shoot at any enemy they see.  You can give them simple orders like hold position, follow me, or open fire.  Therefore, only one human player has to go into a c47 to fully load it up.

-Bailouts.  When you bailout of a bomber or plane, each pilot automaticaly gets a colt45.  That way, you can maybe take out a few soldiers on the ground after bailing.  When bailing out in a bomber, the other gunners and crewman will become colt45-wielding platoon members, as explained above.  So basically after the entire crew bails out, a squad is formed.

-Some Higgins boats and stuff to invade bases.  Also, in the combat theater i have seen task groups made just of destroyers and cruisers with no cv.  Maybe a troop ship task group can load them.

-Communications.  When talking over the mic, only people with in a certain radius can hear you.  Therefore, players will need to fufill the roles of radio operators to talk to pilots flying overhead.

Its a lot, I know, but it would be interesting to see it.   I know that this is a flight simulator, but WWII online has infantry...just daydreams, nothing much.  The chances of this being implemented in the game are like 1 in 1000, but again, doest hurt to daydream.

Please, if you do not agree, say in the nicest way possible.

Offline acepilot2

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2003, 04:32:10 PM »
bump

Offline SFCHONDO

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2003, 04:40:12 PM »
I personally would not want AH to get into the FPS aspect. If i want FPS action I just hop on my Delta Force game. Just my humble opion. :)
        HONDO
DENVER BRONCOS    

Retired from AH

Offline Esme

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2003, 04:50:49 PM »
Might be more realistic to go for something more limited first. I mean, I'd LOVE to have a decent ground war raging for my buffing to affect and be affected by.

Perhaps if a squad of 8-10 troops were commanded by one player, and they directed thefire of one trooper, whilst the rest wereon "auto". You could tell them to hold their fire,  or to start firing.  leading a squadyou'd effectivelyhave eight "lives", ratherlike buff pilots now have three.  Given how easily mown down infantry are likelyto be in AH, multiple "lives" like that are probably needed for it to be worth using infantry.

Squads could have a limited number of special ammo; maybe a couple of smoke canisters, couple of satchel charges and a coupleof signal flares, tohelp with air-ground coordination.   I'd also like to see mortarsquads, with perhapsa couple of mortars per squad. Other squads would actas Forward Observation Officers.  And heavy weapons squads (perked) with an MG and some  kind of light anti-tank capability.

Anincrease in the number of troops required to capture places would be desirable.  troops could stand orlay prone (for simplicity) and all themen in a squad stand orlay down at once (we have to remember effectson frame rates, andso avoid too many extra textures etc!)

Rebuild times would need to be longer, except maybe after a  capture.  Buildings should be considerablyharder, so that they cannot simply be strafed tobits, and need bombs or rockets to knock them down. If we cant have lots more buildings than at present,then make them unrealistically hard tokill, so that LOTS of bombs or shelling is needed. That way fightsfortowns will last areasonable time,insteadofjust a few seconds.

Oh, and playe rcontrolled squads should be able to hitch rides in player-driven GVs.  Maybe add an auto Commander fortanks, so that theplayer can go gunner and have targets called out to them by the AI commander.

:-}

If onlythe PCsand bandwidth will allow,there's sooo much could be done. But littlesteps, little steps...

Esme

Paratroop squads would be perked

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2003, 05:52:57 PM »
In previous interviews, HiTech did mention that he'd like to eventually add player controlled troops that would fight it out for the fields and towns.

I liked the idea when he first floated it out and I still like it now.  And from the way HiTech described how he'd like it in an interview, it sounded like his idea was more along the lines of Day of Defeat style combat than WW2OL style of infantry combat.  

And if we were to get a jeep with a .50 cal. mounted on it, all I can say is RAT PATROL!

Ack-Ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2003, 06:26:54 PM »
i have saved HT some time by designing the knit trooper

I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline acepilot2

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2003, 07:07:26 PM »
LOL!!! That knight trooper is funny.

Anyway, it would be interesting and fun to see cooperation between pilots and troops on the ground.  In the field if a company of troops is pinned down by an advancing tank column, they would call in airsupport.  However a flak panzer is in the area so the pilot would order his human buddy on the ground to get a bazooka and blow up that flak panzer so he can bomb the rest of the tanks.  

Ground troop cooperation would be awesome, strafing at oncoming enemys...

Offline Hawklore

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2003, 09:51:14 PM »
Sounds good to me.
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.
Trouble no one about their religion;
respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours.
Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life." - Chief Tecumseh