Author Topic: Great idea on implementing nose art?  (Read 249 times)

bonger

Great idea on implementing nose art?
« on: September 02, 1999, 01:54:00 PM »
Hi all,

Was thinking the other day how cool it would be to recognize the fact that you were entering a fight against a member of an elite squad and it got me thinking of practical ways of implementing this.

The arguement has always been about nose art and the MANY MANY art files you would need to have on your hard drive to support it. What about just having planes with different squad paint schemes on them? Maybe you could have 5 or 6 versions of say the p51D with the most famous squad paint jobs on them. OR...maybe a squad regesters then sends in a picture of its paint scheme. Maybe only those squad members then can use that paint scheme or maybe its selected automatically when you fly the squads designated ride? If that would not be fair to non squad flyers then maybe anybody can choose any paint scheme.

I am theorizing that we have a file on our hard drive which determines an aircrafts 3d image. We then just store more 3d images to be selected for the appropriate squad airplane. Granted we would have to put many more files on our hard drive but I think most of us would give up harddrive space for this option. I should say that I dont know how big these files are though. Maybe there is a defalt paint scheme and you can chose to down load squad paint schemes or not.

You could build a program in which the squads could design the scheme and then just send them in saving you from having to do the artwork. My squad has just put up pics of our rides complete with colored 487th paint schemes as well as nose art. The interest is definately there!

This could add another level of realism to the simulation by introducing intimidation! Think of what it would be like to meet an enemy aircraft 1 on 1, isolated, and when you got in close enough you realize...shit its a JGXX pilot or a 487th Lil Bastard! (ok i left out a lot of good squads..hehe!)

Could be cool but just an idea. Think it could work? Lets work the idea a bit....

Bonger
487th Lil Bastards

sky61

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 1999, 08:05:00 PM »
This would be a cool idea and I vote for it!!

------------------
Chuck Perry
"Sky"

funked

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 1999, 05:11:00 PM »
WB3.0 will have a section of each plane that is customizable.  A small bitmap upon which you may place nose art or squad insignia.

I do like the idea of having paint scheme options for each plane.  I think the only limitation is memory - the program would have to hold in memory all 3 (or whatever number) paint jobs for each of 50 (or whatever number) planes.  150 paint jobs!