Author Topic: Darwin Recipient  (Read 708 times)

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
Darwin Recipient
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2003, 02:40:25 AM »
IIRC bullet proof vests function is not to just deform the bullet, but also to spread the force of impact over wider area, which in turn means you'll feel like punched after hit by a bullet and might get a big bruise, and bullet would need even more energy to penetrate the vest and the person himself.

Kevlar vest can stop a knife too, by deflecting or breaking it, whereas soft tissue wouldn't have done either of the two.
But a straight thrust might have a different effect, however it will require more power to punch through the vest when the energy is spread over a bigger area, so sloppy thrusts can be even stopped.

I've read about cases where the knife has been deflected or broken against typical bulletproof vests that cops wear.
Broken ones have been usually the ones used to cut bread....

With some basic logic, what makes difference between a knife and a bullet against the kevlar vest, is that the other is quite a light projectile which does not have a constant energy and the other will have a thrusting energy all the time along the path.

Those common bulletproof vests are only for small calibers anyway.. so the knife will have much more energy if thrusted right.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2003, 02:47:18 AM by Fishu »

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
Darwin Recipient
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2003, 10:12:14 AM »
it depends.  

materials, design, etc..
our town's cop vests definatley DO stop knives.

I've seen a lot that would not because they aren't that tightly woven but instead use the 'threads' in the fiber to spread out the impact.. but a knife would seperate and penetrate

I think if it were me, I'd prefer the first type like our cops have.. who cares if it's a little heavier

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Darwin Recipient
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2003, 10:28:46 AM »
"Only the slow steady blade can defeat the shielded opponent"

(Geekdom 101)

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
Darwin Recipient
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2003, 10:34:43 AM »
lmao.. good timing.. almost made me spew

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
Darwin Recipient
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2003, 05:38:48 AM »
Charged with murder?

Admittedly this was a very stupid act done under the influence of drugs, but murder?

it comes in two variants in the US, right? Premeditated and non premeditated? What exactly does the non premeditated encompass?

I guess here he'd realistically be charged with involuntary manslaughter.

Oh btw, bulletproof vests are probably a good idea in a country like the US, where most firearms are 9mm or .45 or generally revolver/pistol calibre. I saw a demonstration in Sweden in whcih the bullet proof vest used by police was hit by a hunting rifle. It went through front and back of two vests - had there been a third it mighta done damage to that one too. I guess kevlar isn't enough there - you probably need a quarter of a centimetre of steel to stop it properly.

Maybe the one accused of murder can try it out.

Offline Drunky

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Darwin Recipient
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2003, 11:17:57 AM »
Originally posted by StSanta
What exactly does the non premeditated encompass?

Non-premeditated could be fits of rage or passion.  Getting into an argument and then pulling a gun.  Finding your wife in bed with another man and stabbing one or both of them.

Premeditate means that they planned in advance.  Going to buy, knife, poison, explosives,etc  the gun to kill the person.
Drunky | SubGenius
Fat Drunk Bastards
B.A.A.H. - Black Association of Aces High

Offline Syzygyone

• Silver Member
Mau'dib
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2003, 11:26:05 AM »
Originally posted by midnight Target
"Only the slow steady blade can defeat the shielded opponent"

(Geekdom 101)

Sounds like a quote from "DUNE" to me!