Author Topic: Team Event  (Read 3532 times)

Offline Gremlin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.webtreatz.com/tod/lognew.html
Team Event
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2003, 04:33:05 AM »
Bigmax:  As discussed in e-mail our squadron No56 "Firebirds" Sqn, will certainly be proposing a team, possibly even two teams judging by the response on the squad bot.

This is a great idea, please dont let it die!!

The rest of you:  Get yer 'orrible lil rear ends in gear and tell Bigmax that you'll be bringing a team to this event.

Gremlin.

Offline B17Skull12

• Gold Member
Team Event
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2003, 08:43:28 AM »
Originally posted by Gremlin
Bigmax:  As discussed in e-mail our squadron No56 "Firebirds" Sqn, will certainly be proposing a team, possibly even two teams judging by the response on the squad bot.

This is a great idea, please dont let it die!!

The rest of you:  Get yer 'orrible lil rear ends in gear and tell Bigmax that you'll be bringing a team to this event.

Gremlin.
gremlin if i could get a team big enough i would.
II/JG3 DGS II

Offline BigMax

• Gold Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
Team Event
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2003, 06:56:59 PM »
You'd only need yourself & three others...  A formal proposal will go to Skuzzy within the week, assuming we get the deatils hashed out between now & then.

Grem, we'll need some announcement banners - you're a computer bubba, right?  Can you design us some?  I am not very website savvy, yet.  So I'd also need help with a web tracking system...  Let me know if you have the time.. We're kinda sunk without a good design guy...

There will be lotsa bases to cover, these are just a few. Will think of more and post again...

Offline BigMax

• Gold Member
Team Event
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2003, 11:22:35 AM »
Originally posted by Manedew
good punt ... we going to do this thing?
how about we set it for late-sep?....

pick a weekend CM's ...that's proably all it takes .... and some advertiseing.  
If Flossy or some other CM will finalize a genral rule set it would help tho ....  player picked teams ... CM picked teams whatever .. lets just try it once ....

It is being discussed on the CM boards... Date has not been proposed yet, but I am asking for a Saturday or Sunday (preferably Saturday) block of time - 3 to 5 hours.  Starting around 12 noon EST...  I'm not sure how it will work out, there are already regularly scheduled events on both of those days... we'll see.

Just a reminder,
Conceptual ideas move slowly in the beginning, bear with me.

Offline BigMax

• Gold Member
Team Event
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2003, 11:28:35 AM »
I lost my mind for a minute there....

Was thinking about a 4 v 4 tournament from a "softball tournament" format...  lol

KOTH is KOTH...

Anyway,
Another question for the players...

SAME PLANE, or allow different planes (no 262s or 163 though)?

Offline B17Skull12

• Gold Member
Team Event
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2003, 11:43:17 AM »
Originally posted by BigMax
I lost my mind for a minute there....

Was thinking about a 4 v 4 tournament from a "softball tournament" format...  lol

KOTH is KOTH...

Anyway,
Another question for the players...

SAME PLANE, or allow different planes (no 262s or 163 though)?
same plane.
II/JG3 DGS II

Offline najdorf

• Copper Member
Team Event
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2003, 10:39:27 PM »
same plane, do it just like KOTH.

Offline BigMax

• Gold Member
Team Event
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2003, 05:22:09 PM »
You have to admit, different planes would allow teams to really maximize the "TEAM" concept...

Offline Gremlin

• Silver Member
Team Event
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2003, 07:17:52 AM »
What about having a wildcard round where each team can choose their plane from a choice of 4 or 5 which the CMs decide prior to the event?  The CMs dont tell the players what the plane set is or which round it will be just.  Throw it in with no warning give the teams 3-4 minutes to decide on which plane, fuel etc to carry and roll

For example say in round 5 the CM calls Wildcard round;

Spit 1; Hurri 1; Zero; F4F

The  teams choose and roll.  However the winner does not get to choose the plane for the next round.  That honour falls to the team who won the round prior to the wildcard round.

Just an idea for mixing both ideas.

Offline Gremlin

• Silver Member
Team Event
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2003, 07:21:35 AM »
Grem, we'll need some announcement banners - you're a computer bubba, right?  Can you design us some?

Web banners no-problemm, coming up.

I'd also need help with a web tracking system...

Not quite sure what you mean by this.  Wanna take this to email and discuss further?

Offline BigMax

• Gold Member
Team Event
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2003, 09:54:39 AM »
Originally posted by Gremlin
Not quite sure what you mean by this.  Wanna take this to email and discuss further?

Was from my "brain fart"...  When I was thinking the "round robin" format...

Offline BigMax

• Gold Member
Team Event
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2003, 10:16:54 PM »
The word is in from "Da Bosslady"...

It's GAME ON!

We want this to have MUCH participation, so we wait until Gremlin gets his banners done and approved...  In the meantime, I guess we just need to get the rules ironed out and find a hole in the events schedule to plug this baby into...  I am thinking it's about 1 to 2 months away.

Talk it up fellers....  It's gonna happen!
:D :D

Offline najdorf

• Copper Member
Team Event
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2003, 09:30:51 AM »
By far, the most difficult aspect of this is going to be on the managing CM.  The logistics of this one will necessarily make the setup a much slower process than the individual KOTH.

Therefore, I think we should stick with KOTH rules as far as possible.  I think allowing multiple planes will create a mess and further slow down the event.  You're going to have short attention span whiners chomping at the bit to get going, probably have some of log because they don't want to wait for the thing to setup.

One way to help this is to have a signup sheet so that the CM can do some pre-event management.  Still allow walkons, they will be important to flesh out the field.

I think you allow the players to form their own teams to a certain extent while breaking up teams that would be considered a ringer like:  Widlthng, Big Max, Icemaw, ManeTMP.  I really don't want to face a team like that and no one that knows anything about the community would be real thrilled to face them either.

Otherwise, first team to win 3 rounds.  1 plane per round.  CM chooses ride for Rd. 1.  Set max 10K unengaged alt. etc.

Offline BigMax

• Gold Member
Team Event
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2003, 02:05:21 PM »
Setup really isn't hard from round to round...

Organizing the teams, that's the trick...

The "ringer team" will be a problem.  Simply because, if we open it to a "form your own team" format, then we have opened the door for it to happen...

Any thoughts on how to prevent this?
One idea I have is that perhaps we should make ALL teams have to have at least 1 walk-on player.  If there isn't enough, then a hand-selected team could fly with three pilots vice four.

Offline najdorf

• Copper Member
Team Event
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2003, 02:33:33 PM »
This is where I think a sign up sheet might come in handy.  You could predetermine certain individuals that you would not want on the same team.

Another thing we could do is go back through the logs of previous KOTH's, I am assuming most players would come from these ranks, and rate each player as potentially an A,B,C, or D player based on the perception of their abilities.  You have that list available at the start, and as you either form teams or check off pre-formed teams, you make sure you don't have teams with 2 or 3 A players.  I would say, for instance, anyone who has won a KOTH would be an A player.  Anyone having won a round is a B player.  Any player with close to at least a 1 to 1 K/D ration IN KOTH is a C player.  Newbs and players with .5 K/D's and lower are D players.

If we are going to assume that the only way to make fair teams is to place people on teams as opposed to pre-formed teams, then you are going to have to have help.  You should get 2 or 3 others who will defanitely make the event and ask that they help keep track of and form teams.  These should be people who have a working knowledge of the player base and those that can be objective in rating other pilots.  We just want to get relatively fair teams, not insult people.

In any event, I think a pre-event sign up sheet is a good start.  Although I think it is important to make it clear that you are still welcome to the event even if you are not on the signup sheet.

I also think it should be stressed that skill level is unimportant, that you will be placed on a team and that it's not a requirement for you to be in a squad to participate.

After the first one of these, the next ones will require less pre-event maintainance, but I think proper preparation for this initial TEAM KOTH will be important to ensure success.