Author Topic: Skuzzy, a damage model question...  (Read 316 times)

Offline rshubert

• Silver Member
Skuzzy, a damage model question...
« on: June 30, 2003, 03:10:47 PM »
OK, I keep hearing about the suicide dweebs intentionally crashing into the strat to destroy it.

The question:  does the AIRPLANE damage anything on the ground when it hits?

My opinion: no.  I have been in an m3 struck by a dying fighter-bomber more than once, and never suffered any damage, other than the short "OHMYGAWD" factor.

Offline jonnyb

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2003, 03:31:25 PM »
It's not the crashing into the target that destroys it...it is the ordinance that is travelling with the airplane that does the job.

Offline rshubert

• Silver Member
Yeah, but...
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2003, 03:59:16 PM »
the bombs, if  they are attached to the plane, can't explode, since they haven't fallen 1000 feet.  I respectfully submit that your answer is not correct.

shubie

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
Re: Yeah, but...
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2003, 05:39:57 PM »
Originally posted by rshubert
the bombs, if  they are attached to the plane, can't explode, since they haven't fallen 1000 feet.  I respectfully submit that your answer is not correct.

shubie

You are right  .......what has happened is that they have entered a dive and released bombs (or fired rockets) (at a speed to avoid interception) with no hope of pulling out in time to avoid becoming a lawn dart.
Ludere Vincere

Online Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2003, 05:40:44 PM »
well use a wee bit of common sense to what jonnyb said....

often the "suicider" will release his ord with enough time for them to arm (and too close to miss)... but too close to pull out himself from that dive....  so both the plane and the ord arrive approximately the same time.

sometimes it's intentional, sometimes just due to a lack of experience.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline jonnyb

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2003, 05:54:47 PM »
Shane has put his finger on exactly what I meant.

Offline rshubert

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2003, 04:16:48 PM »
So, the concensus is that the PLANE does no damage?

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2003, 05:00:38 PM »
A plane without ordinance that lawn darts directly into any strat target or vehicle does not cause any damage to the target.

Somehow I have a feeling that this is leading to something ... :confused:
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2003, 07:40:05 PM »
The impact of the airplane with anything other than an opposing aircraft does no damage.  (I do not know if colliding with a GV results in a "collision")
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline DJ111

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2003, 08:06:32 PM »
Yeah, GVs do cause damage if you collide with them.

I decided to buzz a Knight panzer that was at the town and I got a little too close and off goes my wing.   :p
Retired CO of the ancient **Flying Monkeys** CT squadron.

Offline Rutilant

• Silver Member
Re: Yeah, but...
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2003, 07:47:24 AM »
Originally posted by rshubert

shubie

Ord doesnt have to even 'fall' 500 ft i don't think.

I've dropped at 475-450 something in a Stuka and the ord detonated, so I think it's a mix between speed and alt to simulate the 'bomb-prop' spinning faster at higher speeds, thus arming the bomb quicker..

(PS, if ya ever dropped the 1800kg on the stuka after 600ft you ain't makin it out alive ;) )

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: Yeah, but...
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2003, 10:55:45 AM »
Originally posted by Rutilant
Ord doesnt have to even 'fall' 500 ft i don't think.

I've dropped at 475-450 something in a Stuka and the ord detonated, so I think it's a mix between speed and alt to simulate the 'bomb-prop' spinning faster at higher speeds, thus arming the bomb quicker..

(PS, if ya ever dropped the 1800kg on the stuka after 600ft you ain't makin it out alive ;) )

Bombs have to TRAVEL 1000 ft to arm. Altitude or height has nothing to do with it.

If you are at 100ft AGL going 400 mph and "throw" your bomb (pull stick back quickly - release bomb at beginning of climb) and the bomb travels at least a 1000 ft ... it will detonate.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Rutilant

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2003, 03:12:47 AM »
Nope, not that either. It's a combination of speed  and distance.. forx example, i've dropped bombs in an IL2 (IN AH! not in IL2) around 600ft -from target- -in a dive- (albeit only around 250mph) and they havent detonated. I've dropped bombs from the Stuka in a high(er than the IL2) speed dives, released under 500ft and still had them detonate. (In a dive, almost straight downward in most cases so it couldnt have travelled any more distance than the  (for example) distance tag's specified).

So I think it's a bit more complex than just distance.