Author Topic: P47s  (Read 689 times)

Offline Flyboy

• Silver Member
P47s
« on: June 24, 2003, 11:07:18 AM »
whats the difference between the 3 types ?
and who is best for AtoA and why?

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
P47s
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2003, 01:13:51 PM »
Check out my webpage:

Soda's Aircraft Evaluations

There have been a couple of threads in the Aircraft forum on the P-47 fairly recently also.  You might want to check back a page or two in that forum.

The 3 models tend to be fairly similar in many ways though the D11 is a bit lighter and slightly (5mph'ish) faster at many altitudes.  It has the annoying center split window though.  The D30 has more power, better acceleration (though still poor), and a much better view all around.  The D30 has all the external options too, which is often why people fly it.  I think the D30 is probably the most popular in a pure A to A sense.

-Soda
Aces High Trainer Corps
The Assassins.

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
P47s
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2003, 01:51:52 PM »
I fly the D30 almost exclusively if I take a P47, and lately I've been doing that more often.  A P47 isn't a Spitfire - agility is not its strongpoint.  A P47 will turn, but just well enough to swing its broadsword (in the form of eight .50 cals).  The razorback P47 is a bit lighter, but really, if weight is an issue then just simply grab the -D30 and carry less internal fuel and/or pickle your drop tanks sooner and you'll end up at about the same weight when the fight starts as you would in a -D11, plus you'll have 2 more .50 cal guns to use and better all-around visibility.

One clandestine advantage to the -D30: when people see it, the first thing they think is "he's heavy with rockets and bombs so he'll be an easy kill."  And then you do some fancy pilot stuff and shoot them.

Offline Flyboy

• Silver Member
P47s
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2003, 02:16:29 PM »
thanks guys

but this isnt what was looking for, i know the basics of the P47s
what i was looking for is some advance\ expert tips about the plane.

lets say a P47d11 and a P47d30 are doing a duel, who will win? and how?

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
P47s
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2003, 04:14:23 PM »
lets say a P47d11 and a P47d30 are doing a duel, who will win? and how?

the one drex is driving :p

the differences in preformance are subtle enough so it's all down to pilot skill.

The D30 mainly have better WEP, but in 1on1 co-E that will only make a difference if some acceleration from very low speed is needed to keep the fight going.
The D11 is stabler at low speeds and I think it rolls slightly better, but again this will only make a difference is a very slow stall fight.

any slight difference in armament/fuel load might reverse that.

Bozon
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
P47s
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2003, 05:27:23 PM »
Have to agree with Bozon, it'll come down to the initial conditions of the fight and pilot skill.  Not any one thing is decisive enough between the P-47 models to dictate the outcome on performance alone.  It'll come down to pilot skill and selection of maneuvers if you energy states started out the same (which is itself almost impossible even in a duel).

-Soda
Aces High Trainer Corps
The Assassins.

Offline KBall

• Zinc Member
P47s
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2003, 06:04:05 PM »
Originally posted by Flyboy
lets say a P47d11 and a P47d30 are doing a duel, who will win? and how? [/B]

All things being equal...pilot skill, tactics, fuel, etc... the P47D-11 should win. The D-11 turns better, rolls better, is more stable, and is slightly faster. The D-30's climbrate is slightly better, but because of the range of 50 cals the D-11 will kill the D-30 before it climbs out of range.

Visibility out of a D-11 was annoying for me at first, but now I don't even notice.

Offline BNM

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.christian3x3.com/
P47s
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2003, 04:58:27 AM »
Originally posted by gofaster
when the fight starts as you would in a -D11, plus you'll have 2 more .50 cal guns to use and better all-around visibility.

You do realize the D-11 has the 8 gun hvy/light ammo options just like the other jugs?

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
P47s
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2003, 09:16:54 AM »
Originally posted by BNM
You do realize the D-11 has the 8 gun hvy/light ammo options just like the other jugs?

No, I must've forgotten.  I normally use it with 6, which I think is the default "initial" load-out.

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
P47s
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2003, 06:33:46 PM »
Neg, GoF. "Normal" load out is 8x .50 with 267 rpg.

The 425rpg, I think, was the "extra ammo" load out.

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
P47s
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2003, 06:37:13 PM »
I have a nice photo of a P-47N from Colorado Springs air museum where the ammo loading door is open on the wing.  It says 267 on the loading chart on the inside of the door.  They are busy restoring the plane right now, I saw it only a couple of weeks ago.

-Soda
Aces High Trainer Corps.
The Assassins