Author Topic: Where did you get your call sign?  (Read 14765 times)

Offline Chugamug

• Zinc Member
Re: Where did you get your call sign?
« Reply #240 on: February 08, 2015, 01:24:39 PM »
From a beer bottle. :cheers:

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #241 on: February 08, 2015, 01:38:41 PM »
I got the name guncrasher because back in the aw days I was a pretty good gunner by I would crash every plane I took off in.

my brother first joined aw before me and just like me he would always crash everything.  he was also a pretty good gunner.

he picked the name semp in aw as in semper fi.  he was in the marines, like me.  when I came back to aces high the name semp was taken so I came up with the guncrasher in the bb and in the game.  when semp became available I took it that was 5 or 6 years ago.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #242 on: February 08, 2015, 02:01:48 PM »
I picked my name from the movie 'the talented Mr Ripley' mostly because I wanted to consider myself talented, pretty arrogantly.

My future squad mates quickly translated the callsign to the finnish word 'ripuli' which means diarrhea.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #243 on: February 08, 2015, 02:14:10 PM »
Every now and then someone asks whether my nick is trying to tell I were somewhat weird. Their diagnosis may be correct but that's not the story behind my nick.

Way back before AH was launched in any form I needed a nickname for an Internet auction. I had long been a sales representative, a prosperous businessman as the bosses tried to convince us to be. IIRC there was some character limit as well as in many other places after that, including AH, so I just shortened it to what it has since been. Sorry, nothing bizarre here, move along.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Windycty

• Copper Member
« Reply #244 on: February 08, 2015, 07:05:14 PM »
I was born and raised in the Chicago-land area, not much more to it than that!
"Four fried chickens and a Coke"

Offline shppr01

• AvA Staff Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #245 on: February 08, 2015, 09:35:51 PM »
After 12 years of being a chef, I decided to change a tiny bit. I moved from Idaho to MD and became a shipping manager for a printing co. Hence, Shipper.
Ingame : Shipper

Never put your gun down to hug a grizzly.

Offline Scotch

• Gold Member
« Reply #246 on: February 08, 2015, 10:06:45 PM »
I got pissed off at everyone mispronouncing my old name and changed it to the first thing I saw on my desk. A bottle of scotch. It's also my heritage.
-AoM-

Offline Molsman

• Aces High CM Retired
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #247 on: February 08, 2015, 10:14:04 PM »
Molsman, Crazy8s , Crazyman
JG11, DerWanderZirkus, -The Flying Clowns-

Offline Gard06

• Zinc Member
« Reply #248 on: February 08, 2015, 11:39:27 PM »
On 02/24/1991 our unit   B co. 1/159 Aviation 18th Airborne Corp. was in the southern part of Iraq.   On that day we lost over 5 guys in a Helicopter crash.   Our commander Major. Rosie was flying lead aircraft.  Call sign Gard06.   We reported small arms fire off the left hand side and in less then a 1/100 of a second later the CH-47 she was in command of was no longer there, I however was in the other CH-47 in formation watching this unfold with disbelief...

Rossi was born in Oradell, New Jersey on January 3, 1959, the third of four children born to Paul and Gertrude Rossi. Her father was a book bindery treasurer, and her mother was a secretary for a Wall Street firm.[2] In 1976, she graduated from River Dell Regional High School and began attending Dickinson College, where she also joined the Reserve Officers' Training Corps. Rossi graduated in 1980, with a Bachelor of Science in Psychology.[3]

Career:

“    What I'm doing is no greater or less than the man who is flying next to me or in back of me...   ”

Rossi served as a CH-47 Chinook pilot with the 18th Aviation Brigade, commanding B Company, 2d Battalion, 159th Aviation Regiment, stationed at Hunter Army Airfield, Savannah, Georgia. Her company deployed to Saudi Arabia in support of Operation Desert Shield in 1990. Rossi was interviewed by CNN prior to the ground assault by Coalition forces. She said, "Sometimes, you have to disassociate how you feel personally about the prospect of going into war and, you know, possibly see the death that's going to be out there. But personally, as an aviator and a soldier, this is the moment that everybody trains for -- that I've trained for -- so I feel ready to meet a challenge."[5]

Rossi led a flight of her company's CH-47 Chinook helicopters 50 miles (80 km) into Iraq on February 24, 1991, ferrying fuel and ammunition during the very first hours of the ground assault by the Coalition Forces. Her company would be involved in supply missions throughout the war. Rossi was killed when her helicopter crashed into an unlit microwave tower in Northern Saudi Arabia on March 1, 1991, the day after the ceasefire agreement.[6] She was buried on March 11, 1991 with full military honors at Arlington National Cemetery, Section 8, Grave 9872 (38.87170°N 77.06594°W)....

In Honor of those 6 friends and  great commander.   (I AM   GARD06)

Offline Gard06

• Zinc Member
« Reply #249 on: February 08, 2015, 11:49:26 PM »
Military awards and decorations
Bronze Star ribbon.svg    Bronze Star Medal[6]
Purple Heart BAR.svg    Purple Heart[6]
Meritorious Service ribbon.svg    Meritorious Service Medal[9]
Air Medal ribbon.svg    Air Medal[6]
Army Commendation Medal ribbon.svg    Army Commendation Medal[9]
Bronze oak leaf cluster
Width-44 ribbon with two width-9 ultramarine blue stripes surrounded by two pairs of two width-4 green stripes; all these stripes are separated by width-2 white borders
   Army Achievement Medal 2x[6][9]
National Defense Service Medal ribbon.svg    National Defense Service Medal[9]
Bronze star
Bronze star
Width-44 ribbon with the following stripes, arranged symmetrically from the edges to the center: width-2 black, width-4 chamois, width-2 Old Glory blue, width-2 white, width-2 Old Glory red, width-6 chamouis, width-3 myrtle green up to a central width-2 black stripe
   Southwest Asia Service Medal with two bronze service stars for two designated campaigns[9]
Korea Defense Service ribbon.svg    Korea Defense Service Medal[9]
Army Service Ribbon.svg    Army Service Ribbon[9]
Army Overseas Service Ribbon.svg    Army Overseas Service Ribbon[9]
Us sa-kwlib rib.png    Kuwait Liberation Medal (Saudi Arabia)[9]
Us kw-kwlib rib.png    Kuwait Liberation Medal (Kuwait)

Offline Gard06

• Zinc Member
« Reply #250 on: February 08, 2015, 11:50:35 PM »
Dear Friend and my Commander

Offline Mar

• Gold Member
𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝒽𝒶𝒹𝑜𝓌𝓈 𝑜𝒻 𝓌𝒶𝓇'𝓈 𝓅𝒶𝓈𝓉 𝒶 𝒹𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓃 𝑜𝒻 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒶𝒾𝓇 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝑒𝓈 𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝑔𝓇𝒶𝓋𝑒

"Onward to the land of kings—via the sky of aces!"
  Oh, and zack1234 rules. :old:

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member