Author Topic: On art work  (Read 381 times)

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
On art work
« on: July 14, 2003, 05:46:44 AM »
I realise that we would all have our personal favourites and HTC could not please all...........

However IMO the present La5FN art work is rather bland.......(and missing some fuselage text)

below is Popkovs colours used during 43 and 44.........

if AHII has better art capability why not model an AC to show it off?

Ludere Vincere

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
On art work
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2003, 06:31:46 AM »
I think a stand-alone skin editor should be released so the skinners in the community can create come up with some art work.  Guys like Fidd made some really beautiful skins for AW3/MV and I'm sure guys like him, given the chance, will do it again.

Ack-Ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
On art work
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2003, 06:59:32 AM »
Originally posted by Ack-Ack
I'm sure guys like him, given the chance, will do it again.

Ack-Ack

Actually a skinning competition could get HTC a load of low cost high quality art............. and some other stuff

Entrants choose their skin and HTC chooses the one it wants to use.

The winner for each complete AC skin  used gets 1 months free subscription for the sale of the copyright...........

Thats $15 for upto a days work.........

leaving HTC to skin the ones that no wanted to do or could not be done satisfactoraly.
Ludere Vincere

Offline Dux

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
On art work
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2003, 10:17:34 AM »
Maybe it's just me, but it seems odd to have an arena where there are 300+ aircraft flying around, all sporting the very same ace's personal markings.

... Now maybe perked skins is an idea... :)
Rogue Squadron, CO
5th AF, FSO Squadron, Member

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Offline Sakai

• Silver Member
On art work
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2003, 11:16:56 AM »
Originally posted by Dux
Maybe it's just me, but it seems odd to have an arena where there are 300+ aircraft flying around, all sporting the very same ace's personal markings.

Can the server support so many different versions?

I too wold like a choice of say 4-7 P-40 skins, 5-12 Mustangs, numerous 109s (trop, etc.), a trop/std/Naval Stuka (or even RA Stuka) skin.

But can we handle that much different artwork being tracked?

Sakai
"The P-40B does all the work for you . . ."

Offline Dux

• Platinum Member
On art work
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2003, 02:44:03 PM »
Well, it would only work if the skins were already in your system... it would make the initial download bigger (maybe MUCH bigger, I dunno). Then it could be a matter of choosing a skin while in the hangar, along with loadout. That way the server is not really handling it... your FE is.

Even if we weren't talking about specific Ace markings, it would be nice to, for example, choose a tropical camouflage when a desert map rotated.
Rogue Squadron, CO

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Offline WldThing

• Gold Member
On art work
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2003, 02:48:20 PM »
Originally posted by Dux

Uhhhh i LIKE!

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
On art work
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2003, 03:35:23 PM »
More skins = more video memory would be used...

not only does your FE need to load and render the skin, but so does everyone else

not saying this isn't a bad idea....  

Depends on the file size of the skin as well.  Could cause lots of problems for low end PC users

SKurj

Offline Sisk

• Zinc Member
On art work
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2003, 03:51:28 PM »
i would love to create my own custom skins:D .  however i dont think it will be possible :/
« Last Edit: July 14, 2003, 03:53:43 PM by Sisk »

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
On art work
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2003, 03:59:10 PM »
Originally posted by Dux
That way the server is not really handling it... your FE is.

That would only be true if you just wanted the skins to be a client-side thing in which only you can see it.  But if you want eveyone else to see it, then the skins also have to be on the host server, just like how the nose art is currently done.

Ack-Ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Dux

• Platinum Member
On art work
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2003, 04:27:27 PM »
Not to get too picky about it (cuz we're just talkin'), but noseart is not really stored on the Host-side. Sure, when a new squad uploads noseart, it has to be downloaded to your FE, but this only happens once... once you have it, it resides in your HTC/Squads folder, and therefore on your FE. The extra skins would already be in your FE... all the host has to do is say "ack-ack is flying p-47_skin_3" and everyone's FE will display skin_3 when you fly by.

The host is only sending positional data and communications... all models and textures are already in your computer.

This got off topic fast... I can live with just one skin per aircraft, as long as it's a nice yet generic one. I was just saying that it seemed funny to have 300 Popkovs flying around. It seems to ruin the "uniqueness" of it all... like if everybody flew blood-red Fokker Dr.1s. "look, there's Richtoffen!. No, wait, there he is... no, maybe it's THAT one..." :)
Rogue Squadron, CO

Offline icemaw

• Gold Member
On art work
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2003, 05:04:36 PM »
READ PYROS POST
Army of Das Muppets     
Member DFC Furballers INC. If you cant piss with big dogs go run with the pack

Offline TracerX

• Gold Member
On art work
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2003, 07:18:44 PM »
originally posted by Dux
all the host has to do is say "ack-ack is flying p-47_skin_3" and everyone's FE will display skin_3 when you fly by.

Quick Dux, you can still edit your post before Ack-Ack sees your post!!  I can't imagine the pandimonium that would result. :eek:   Surely you ment to refer to Ack-Ack in a P-38.  

He didn't mean it Ack-Ack, really.