Author Topic: Skuzzy-I know you went through this but...  (Read 470 times)

Offline Mike_2851

• Copper Member
Skuzzy-I know you went through this but...
« on: July 04, 2003, 01:44:55 PM »
When it comes to computers-I am an Idiot-I admit it freely. I need help to fine tune my computer.
This is my system:
Pentium4 1.7 Ghz processor
256mb PC133 SDRAM
40.8GB HD
nVidia GeForce2 MX 32mb AGP video display
Sound Blaster SBLive
XP Home OS
FINDFAST.EXE
Profiler.exe
msmsgs.exe
hpztsp04.exe
CTHELPER.EXE
point32.exe
Directcd.exe
NAVAPW32.exe
spoolsv.exe
svchost.exe-Local
explorer.exe
svchost.exe-Network Server
svchost.exe-System
svchost.exe-System
svchost.exe-System
NAVAPS.exe-System
lsass.exe
Services.exe
winlogon.exe
csrss.exe
smss.exe
msimn.exe
alg.exe
System
System Idle Process
_____________________________ ___

I have been experiencing poor framerates and reduced performance in gameplay lately, so I want to optimize my processor. I need to know, what from the list I can disable or whatever to make improvements but not ruin my OS. I have a DSL connection. Any advice is appreciated-Thank You in advance
« Last Edit: July 04, 2003, 01:54:59 PM by Mike_2851 »

Offline Zanth

• Silver Member
      • http://www.a-26legacy.org/photo.htm
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2003, 03:02:18 PM »
Video card is what is hurting you.

Offline FOGOLD

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2003, 03:17:08 PM »
Findfast and OSA are system hoggs too.

Offline Dingbat

• Silver Member
      • http://mysite.verizon.net/res0v1l1
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2003, 11:52:27 AM »
What framerates are you getting?

That PC133 MB isn't helping any, I'd get a Motherboard then re-evaluate a video card.

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2003, 04:33:25 AM »
Mike,

I do belive that you may have an trojan on your system, judging from your process list that is...

Regards.
Warbirds handle : nr-1 //// -nr-1- //// Maniac

Offline Dingbat

• Silver Member
      • http://mysite.verizon.net/res0v1l1
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2003, 08:07:50 AM »
Possibly maniac:

FILENAME: Alg.exe.
PROGRAM NAME: Application Layer Gateway.
DESCRIPTION: Part of Windows XP that provides support for ICS and Internet Connection Firewall (ICF).
RECOMMENDED ACTION: If a third-party firewall warns you that ALG.exe wants access, check to make sure you're not double-firewalled. If you are, disable ICF. If you are using neither ICF nor ICS and are warned that ALG.exe is trying to access the Net, deny it. A Trojan horse or worm may be trying to use it as a backdoor.

Offline Mike_2851

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2003, 12:03:56 PM »
OK, it's time for me to respond. I thank you all for your replies and for any future replies that you provide.

Video Card: I bought the system that I could best not afford (if you know what I mean), and my budget does not allow any upgrades. So I just have to deal with what I have what ever the outcome. I have downloaded the most current drivers and it seems to have helped a little, (and even though I have a lot of space on my HD-a defrag didn't hurt).

FINDFAST and OSA: This is where my stupidity comes in, I went to disable these proscesses and I got the (probable and predictable) message that this could seriously affect my OS and are you sure you want to disable this message. Well not knowing what the heck these things are and what they do, no I wasn't sure, and I did not disable them. So I am "as is" as of my first post.

System=systray: TW9 I have no idea, when it comes to computers-I assume nothing.

Framerates: My framerates usually average 30-40, which I am sure a lot of people would say "so what's your problem". Well, some of my squadmates get much higher framerates with older systems so I have always questioned why mine are lower (I realize that there are a lot of factors that would cause this but...). I usually play in the CT, when I posted this the Lybia map was up (again, I realize that different maps and graphics cause different results-ie: The slot map in the CT-the ground smoke and flames are a FR killer). Anyway, when I posted this it was after a night that my framerates were normal but I was getting "slide show" game play-never happened before-so I thought that I had background processes running that was affecting my game play-the reason for my first post.

Trojan: I don't know, but I would think not. I had a bad HD a while back and got it replaced, they checked first to see if my problem was a virus of any kind, so it should be clean. NAV has detected nothing, before or after. I have NAV running at all times-I don't want no stinking virus. AHH-HAA you all might say-if you have NAV running while you are in AH-therein lies your monster. Well if that is the case, then so be it. I refuse to be hooked to the net without virus protection. So tell me what other processes I can disable, not affecting my OS, to compensate for what NAV robs from me.

Again, thanks for working with the technically challenged. :confused:

Offline Mike_2851

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2003, 01:46:20 PM »
OK, these things I can do-my resolution is already at 1024X768, and My refresh was at 60 htz, I just bumped it to 70htz. I will contact where I bought my "puter" and try to find out more of "critical, must have running" processes (probably should have done that before I posted-duh!).

Thanks for the tips.

Offline Horn

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2003, 03:08:25 PM »
Here is a page where you can determine the function of each of those services ('bout halfway down the page).

http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

g'luck

h

Offline Flittt

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2003, 09:26:23 PM »
I think you should get rid of a lot of the stuff running in the background.
I have 7 running
stop findfast- in copys everything you do to a hiddin folder.
for a interesting read, check out  F@%#microsoft.com
(you gotta fill in the letters )
 try stoppin 1 at a time and make sure the game will still work.